Author Topic: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)  (Read 531546 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Thread 4 for McGregor testing. Please keep specific to the thread title. Make sure your post is useful and adds to the thread. The last one was viewed in the six figure range again, so remember when you post, your post will be seen by a heck of a lot of people, so don't disappoint them! ;D

Thread 1:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28332.0

Thread 2:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32202.0

Thread 3:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35426.0

--

Related News Articles - for Merlin 1D (articles include links to Grasshopper etc...but we'll keep this thread on the firings):

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/?s=McGregor

--

Main L2 Thread for McGregor updates videos and photos:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34957.0
« Last Edit: 12/30/2015 12:02 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
Re: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)
« Reply #1 on: 01/19/2016 11:43 am »
It's been some time since I've seen anything about McGregor. That said, Jim West over on the FB group said:

In McGregor just experienced an approx. 2 min 45 second burn with lots of deep throttling.  Some increasing high freq. Whistle for about 5 sec midway thru   burn.  If it had been a solid motor I would say it had some instability  midway thru the burn.  I don't have perfect pitch but Id guess the whistle was about 1-2k hz.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Bynaus

• Scientist, Curator, Writer, Family man
  • Switzerland
    • Final-Frontier.ch
  • Liked: 424
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #2 on: 01/24/2016 07:40 pm »
I am not sure where I should place this question, mods please feel free to give it a new home if necessary.

I will attend the LPSC conference in Houston this March, and I have a day off after the end of the conference, so I was considering renting a car and driving up to McGregor to get a glimpse of the site (its about a 3 hour drive from The Woodlands where the conference is). However, I have no idea if it is possible / worth the drive and where it would be best to go (in the area) to see something. I am aware that the chance of a test happening in the short time I would be there is very small. Any suggestions?
More of my thoughts: www.final-frontier.ch (in German)

Offline rickyramjet

• Killeen, TX
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #3 on: 01/24/2016 09:04 pm »
Here's a map to help you find your way!  Plant road, which takes you to the front entrance of SpaceX is a private road and no longer accessible.  I took some pictures at the back of the property as shown on the map.  As of about 6 months ago it was still accessible.  There is a gate that may or may not be open.  If it's open you can probably get right up to the back entrance (guarded).  Note the part that is marked as "dirt road".  Don't go there if it's been raining!  You will get stuck!  Good luck, hopefully you'll hear and see something interesting!  Maybe even some Rocket Cows!
« Last Edit: 01/24/2016 09:06 pm by rickyramjet »

Offline llanitedave

• Nevada Desert
  • Liked: 1545
  • Likes Given: 2052
« Reply #4 on: 01/24/2016 09:59 pm »
A year and a half ago, in August 2014, my wife and I took a trip through central Texas that "just happened" to pass through McGregor.  As we passed the SpaceX facility, I noticed that there was a first stage on the raised tripod test stand.  Against my wife's better judgement, I "just happened" to go exploring on some of the dirt roads in the vicinity.  The view of Grasshopper alone was worth the detour.

But as I put the camera away and we started heading back from the locked gate on the south side, I believe the same one Ricky Ramjet mentioned, I caught a bright red flash in my rear view mirror.

I hurridly backed the car up, grabbed the camera and dashed out, just as the engine test ended.  All I got was smoke drifting away and steam coming off the test stand as the water flood cooled the stand.  I believe it was an acceptance test for a new Merlin 1D.  Totally unexpected, very loud, and very, very cool.  Even my wife was impressed.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: 01/24/2016 10:00 pm by llanitedave »
"I've just abducted an alien -- now what?"

Offline Bynaus

• Scientist, Curator, Writer, Family man
  • Switzerland
    • Final-Frontier.ch
  • Liked: 424
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #5 on: 01/25/2016 01:28 pm »
Ok, thank you guys (also for the warnings...)! I'll go and see what can be seen! If there's anything interesting to report, I'll post it here.
More of my thoughts: www.final-frontier.ch (in German)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #6 on: 01/26/2016 08:26 pm »
This video has some clips of recent SpaceX test highlights:

EDIT: The clip is now private, it was made public in error.

Here are pictures related to McGregor: (two new views of the new ground level test stand and one of the F9 FT new separation tests - see the new center pusher in black)
« Last Edit: 01/26/2016 09:59 pm by Lars-J »

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #7 on: 01/26/2016 08:47 pm »
Which flight is flight 21? I understand 21st flight of F9 was Jason-3, but it had an extended static fire at Vandenberg because it hadn't been fired in ages. F9-021 was OG2-2, but that full length static fire was at night.

Edit: I remembered incorrectly. The shorter static fire was at night.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2016 09:04 pm by saliva_sweet »

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #8 on: 01/26/2016 09:33 pm »
Did anyone manage to grab a mirror? It's now private and non-viewable.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2016 09:37 pm by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #9 on: 01/26/2016 09:45 pm »
Did anyone manage to grab a mirror? It's now private and non-viewable.

I wonder if this video was intended for employees only?

EDIT: Yes, according to people on Reddit this was apparently only intended for internal/employee consumption.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2016 09:49 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #10 on: 01/26/2016 09:54 pm »
Here is an GFY animation of the stage separation test in the video: (showing the new pusher and size of the FT upper stage and M1DVac)

https://gfycat.com/SneakyRedIrishdraughthorse
« Last Edit: 01/26/2016 09:55 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Thanks, Lars-J. That GIF is great.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Pulled already? Only one view recorded and 404 gateway error for the file itself.
--
Don Day

Offline Mongo62

• Liked: 834
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #13 on: 01/26/2016 11:36 pm »
Pulled already? Only one view recorded and 404 gateway error for the file itself.

That can't be right. I watched it myself before it was taken down. I expect that the view count was not updated before it was taken down, or maybe it was reset to one at that time.

I've had trouble from my end before with imgur, gifycat etc.. The text-only screen shows 91 views--I misread, and actually a 400 protocol error, but if others see it, it's just me.
--
Don Day

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #15 on: 01/27/2016 12:19 am »
Man that really gives the stage a good shove. Is the pusher pushing against the inside of the combustion chamber? I assume the push rod thingy retracts back into the interstage for the ride home.

Matthew

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #16 on: 01/27/2016 12:25 am »
This one works:

Enjoy, Matthew

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 155
« Reply #17 on: 01/27/2016 12:26 am »
Man that really gives the stage a good shove. Is the pusher pushing against the inside of the combustion chamber? I assume the push rod thingy retracts back into the interstage for the ride home.

I doubt it would go through the throat?

Offline Lars-J

• California
« Reply #18 on: 01/27/2016 01:01 am »

I doubt it would go through the throat?

The small size of it in the test video seems to imply that it does. The pusher tip seems to small to lift by the nozzle.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #19 on: 01/27/2016 01:16 am »
This one works: <snip>

Enjoy, Matthew

Awesome, thanks. This time I have it downloaded in case it get's removed again.

Edit: Reddit seems to removing this when it gets posted there. So it's likely this whole section of this post will be quelled in short order here as well.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2016 01:26 am by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography