Author Topic: Commercial Crew - Discussion Thread 1  (Read 640931 times)

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1190
  • Likes Given: 2685
Re: Commercial Crew (CCtCAP) - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1280 on: 08/31/2018 02:18 am »
Can someone unwrap this please?

Completed Training Events 1, 2 and 3: suited simulations with cadre in buck,

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #1281 on: 08/31/2018 02:22 am »

The "suited simulations with cadre in buck" means astronauts wearing SpaceX suits running through simulations in the Crew Dragon mockup.

Online oiorionsbelt

• Liked: 1190
  • Likes Given: 2685
« Reply #1282 on: 08/31/2018 02:43 am »

The "suited simulations with cadre in buck" means astronauts wearing SpaceX suits running through simulations in the Crew Dragon mockup.
That's what I thought when I read it but "Suited" would suffice, why add "cadre in buck"? Just seemed odd. Looked up both words and now seems even odder but I'll leave it there.

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8740
« Reply #1283 on: 08/31/2018 05:17 am »
Typo for "buckled in"?
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #1284 on: 08/31/2018 08:10 am »

That's what I thought when I read it but "Suited" would suffice, why add "cadre in buck"? Just seemed odd. Looked up both words and now seems even odder but I'll leave it there.

"Cadre in buck" is a phrase coined by SpaceX. Buck is the term SpaceX uses for the Crew Dragon training mockup.
I once asked one of my SpaceX sources for the origin of the term and the explanation she came up with is rather funny. Not sure though if she was pulling my leg or was in fact serious: buck is another word for rattle, the kind of sound-making toy toddlers use to play with. The training mockup is similar in nature. It is what the "toddlers" (not-yet-trained-astronauts) use to discover and learn the basics of flying Crew Dragon.

From my dictionary I read that "Cadre" stands for: "a small group of people specially trained for a particular purpose or profession." So clearly, "Cadre" refers to the astronauts.

It's one of those situations where SpaceX invents a new term or phrase for things that already had a name.
Remember RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly)? That's the SpaceX term for "Explosion".

Another example: a (Crew) Dragon pressure vessel is not referred to as such but is called a "Weldment".
« Last Edit: 08/31/2018 11:35 am by woods170 »

Online envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #1285 on: 08/31/2018 01:09 pm »

"Cadre in buck" is a phrase coined by SpaceX. Buck is the term SpaceX uses for the Crew Dragon training mockup.
I once asked one of my SpaceX sources for the origin of the term and the explanation she came up with is rather funny. Not sure though if she was pulling my leg or was in fact serious: buck is another word for rattle, the kind of sound-making toy toddlers use to play with. The training mockup is similar in nature. It is what the "toddlers" (not-yet-trained-astronauts) use to discover and learn the basics of flying Crew Dragon.

From my dictionary I read that "Cadre" stands for: "a small group of people specially trained for a particular purpose or profession." So clearly, "Cadre" refers to the astronauts.

It's one of those situations where SpaceX invents a new term or phrase for things that already had a name.
Remember RUD (Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly)? That's the SpaceX term for "Explosion".

Another example: a (Crew) Dragon pressure vessel is not referred to as such but is called a "Weldment".

"buck" is not a SpaceX-invented phrase. It's common jargon in the automotive (and perhaps others) industries for a mockup or display vehicle. SpaceX apparently borrowed it, to use in the same sense.

"cadre in buck" means "a group of people in the mockup vehicle".

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8787
  • Likes Given: 7817
« Reply #1286 on: 08/31/2018 05:53 pm »
Commercial Crew: The Flight Tests

NASAKennedy
Published on Aug 31, 2018

Learn about the first flights of Boeing’s Starliner and SpaceX’s Crew Dragon with and without astronauts on board, and what they will accomplish for NASA and its commercial partner.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #1287 on: 09/01/2018 09:34 pm »
That's a fannish term, IIRC and it has been around forever I think.
I beleive a weldment is a term for anything primarily fabricated by welding and has a wider meaning than just the pressure vessel.

So no I don't think they are necessarily making up terms but they may be adopting whimsical ones deliberately in some cases.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #1288 on: 09/02/2018 12:42 pm »
That's a fannish term, IIRC and it has been around forever I think.
I beleive a weldment is a term for anything primarily fabricated by welding and has a wider meaning than just the pressure vessel.

So no I don't think they are necessarily making up terms but they may be adopting whimsical ones deliberately in some cases.

Or just adopting terminology that may be more commonly used for like items/structures in non-aerospace fields.  Lots of their workforce has backgrounds outside of aerospace fields.  So, they may be bringing in terms that they were used to using from those fields in preference over the more usual aerospace jargon.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #1289 on: 09/02/2018 06:54 pm »
Or just adopting terminology that may be more commonly used for like items/structures in non-aerospace fields.  Lots of their workforce has backgrounds outside of aerospace fields.  So, they may be bringing in terms that they were used to using from those fields in preference over the more usual aerospace jargon.
Yup. Some of each. RUD is fannish. Weldment is general.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18198
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #1290 on: 09/19/2018 09:52 am »
Commercial crew providers believe they now meet NASA safety requirements

https://spacenews.com/commercial-crew-providers-believe-they-now-meet-nasa-safety-requirements/

Quote from: Jeff Foust
“The number one safety-related concern for the program is the current situation with respect to the estimate of loss of crew,” Donald McErlean, a member of NASA’s Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel, said at a meeting of the panel last year. The U.S. Government Accountability Office has also warned in reports that the companies were having problems meeting that loss-of-crew requirement.

However, during a panel discussion at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) Space Forum here Sept. 18, executives of the two companies said they now believed their vehicles met that and related safety requirements.
« Last Edit: 09/19/2018 10:01 am by woods170 »

Offline eric z

• Liked: 475
  • Likes Given: 2127
« Reply #1291 on: 09/19/2018 09:09 pm »
 I thought immediately of "buck" in terms of Westerns - Buckskin! Cowboys or Indians, fringe, etc! When you are in your Buckskins you are ready for action...
 Always been a "Bonanza" fan, now I'm also digging "Laramie", "Wagon Train", "The Rifleman"; lots of stuff relevant in neat ways to space colonization. Also check the beginning and end of Heinlein's great "Tunnel in the Sky". 8)
 Slang from the old days reapplied to the new is a fascinating subject!
« Last Edit: 09/19/2018 10:46 pm by eric z »

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #1292 on: 09/20/2018 12:37 am »
2018 AIAA Space Forum: Commercial crew: The newest ride to LEO:
https://livestream.com/AIAAvideo/Space2018/videos/180468218
« Last Edit: 09/20/2018 12:38 am by yg1968 »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #1293 on: 09/24/2018 09:44 pm »
SpaceX Contract Mods:

MOD 52: The purpose of this modification is to revise CLIN 001 Milesonte 01B.5 Demo 1&2 Dragon Integration Checkpoint, update the New Technology Representative address and add GFP Radiation Arm Monitor and Tether (which were previously provided to the Contractor in advance of this mod because it was determined that no consideration was due in accordance with clause H.34

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #1294 on: 10/04/2018 11:33 am »
Any idea what Eric Berger is talking about?

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1047532523545186304

There are some ugly things going on behind the scenes of the commercial crew competition. Will try to shine a bit of light on some of them this afternoon.

P.S.: https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1047592486275878913
« Last Edit: 10/04/2018 11:42 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Last Edit: 10/04/2018 11:40 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #1297 on: 10/04/2018 12:23 pm »
A dirty tricks campaign of near-fake news... Well it's the era we're living in, eh? >:( :(
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #1298 on: 10/04/2018 12:24 pm »
Any idea what Eric Berger is talking about?

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1047532523545186304

There are some ugly things going on behind the scenes of the commercial crew competition. Will try to shine a bit of light on some of them this afternoon.

P.S.: https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1047592486275878913

A shadowy media cabal headed by Boeing is slandering SpaceX.

At least that's Eric Berger's theory.

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 1184
  • Likes Given: 114

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston