Author Topic: SpaceX Washington Facilities  (Read 28969 times)

Offline Space-Bird

• Canada
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 0
SpaceX Washington Facilities
« on: 08/06/2018 03:02 pm »
Hello all!
Decided to make this thread as there is no other threads dedicated to these facilities. And a place to post my pictures.

I recently went on a road trip through Washington, stopping by the spacex offices in Redmond, aswell as a warehouse where starlink satellites are alegedly being tested and built. Images attached below! (Taken on a Sunday so not much going on.)

Thanks all!

-SpaceBird
« Last Edit: 08/06/2018 03:03 pm by Space-Bird »
-Space Bird

Offline NWade

• United States
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 626
Re: SpaceX Washington Facilities
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2018 03:00 pm »
FWIW, I live less than a mile from the Redmond SpaceX office. I don't expect we'll ever see anything worth photographing from the outside of the building, but I'll keep my ears open if I hear about anything worth checking into...

--Noel

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
« Reply #2 on: 08/10/2018 01:35 am »
Hello all!
Decided to make this thread as there is no other threads dedicated to these facilities. And a place to post my pictures.

I recently went on a road trip through Washington, stopping by the spacex offices in Redmond, aswell as a warehouse where starlink satellites are alegedly being tested and built. Images attached below! (Taken on a Sunday so not much going on.)

Thanks all!

-SpaceBird

Fixed the image rotation on your images (apparently Nasaspaceflight Forums cannot parse EXIF rotation data) and losslessly shrunk them some and stripped metadata.
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Damon Hill

• Veteran
  • Auburn, WA
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #3 on: 08/10/2018 05:37 pm »
Did you also visit Blue Origin facilities in Kent, Washington?   When I was commuting to work in Seattle via train, it passed very close to their facilities with a better view of the 'backyard' than could be seen from any local street.  There are bermed structures in the back that suggest propulsion tests of limited size could be conducted there.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
  • Liked: 1299
  • Likes Given: 9683
« Reply #4 on: 09/06/2018 11:53 am »
I was by the SpaceX Redmond building a couple of times last week.  The parking lot was empty, even on a weekday.

Very unlike when I was there in April 2018:  parking lot crowded and full, both early and late!

(I have photos from both times, if there is any interest.)
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #5 on: 09/06/2018 05:25 pm »
I was by the SpaceX Redmond building a couple of times last week.  The parking lot was empty, even on a weekday.

Very unlike when I was there in April 2018:  parking lot crowded and full, both early and late!

Any chance they moved? Else this is rather odd.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #6 on: 09/06/2018 05:33 pm »

Just checking that it wasn't Monday, which was a holiday...

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #7 on: 09/07/2018 06:14 am »
No, it wasn't a Monday.  I was only in that area Tues-Thurs; pretty sure took the photo Thursday, but had noticed it on other days.

One local thought they might have moved to another of their (now) several buildings in Redmond. 

Perhaps the local on this thread who lives near there (Noel / @NWade) might help sort it for us.  :)
« Last Edit: 09/07/2018 06:15 am by Llian Rhydderch »
Re arguments from authority on NSF:  "no one is exempt from error, and errors of authority are usually the worst kind.  Taking your word for things without question is no different than a bracket design not being tested because the designer was an old hand."
"You would actually save yourself time and effort if you were to use evidence and logic to make your points instead of wrapping yourself in the royal mantle of authority.  The approach only works on sheep, not inquisitive, intelligent people."

Offline Craig_VG

• Liked: 730
  • Likes Given: 528
« Reply #8 on: 09/10/2018 02:38 pm »

Not sure if relevant to this, but I see 6 jobs open for Redmond, WA. All were posted 4 days ago

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/search/?f_C=30846&f_GC=us.7-3-0-17-24&keywords=spacex&location=United%20States&locationId=us%3A0

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #9 on: 10/22/2018 04:59 am »
I have confirmed that SpaceX have moved out of their original Seattle-area facility at 18390 NE 68th St, Redmond, Washington.

Went by a couple of times last week, and the parking lot was empty each time.

Sign on the door:
"SpaceX HAS RELOCATED
OUR NEW LOCATION:
22908 NE ALDER CREST DR, REDMOND   WA, 98053"

(with photo of Starman transiting Earth in his Tesla Roadster below the text)

I have photos, but haven't figured out how to post them.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8823
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #10 on: 10/22/2018 05:46 am »

OUR NEW LOCATION:

would be here and there is another SpaceX facility in the second building to the right, at 23020 NE Alder Crest Dr, Redmond, WA 98053.

NEW LOCATION

« Last Edit: 10/22/2018 05:48 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #11 on: 10/23/2018 03:43 am »
I took photos of the new buildings this morning. 

Someone tell me the formula for copying images in here without them being on a website, and I drop a few in.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #12 on: 10/23/2018 05:04 am »
Here's an image from the OLD Redmond location with the (now) empty parking lot,
along with a photo of the note on the door.

Hat tip to Misha Vargas for pointing out I should not use the insert image button, but rather add attachment!
« Last Edit: 10/23/2018 05:06 am by Llian Rhydderch »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #13 on: 10/23/2018 11:47 am »

OUR NEW LOCATION:

would be here and there is another SpaceX facility in the second building to the right, at 23020 NE Alder Crest Dr, Redmond, WA 98053.

NEW LOCATION

Interesting how the new facilities are right beside Triumph Aerospace's Seattle location.

Offline Llian Rhydderch

• Terran Anglosphere
« Reply #14 on: 10/23/2018 01:16 pm »
The new SpaceX Redmond facilities seems to be about three buildings.  And they span both sides of the Triumph building.

At the first building (22908 NE Alder Crest Dr), following a sign, and instructions, to get to shipping and receiving, I went across the entire Triumph parking lot to get to a couple other SpaceX buildings, also on Alder Crest Drive.

... then I got chased away by a polite guy wearing dark clothes with a radio mic on his sweater.   :o
He suggested pictures were not allowed.    :-X

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #15 on: 10/23/2018 01:58 pm »
The new SpaceX Redmond facilities seems to be about three buildings.  And they span both sides of the Triumph building.

At the first building (22908 NE Alder Crest Dr), following a sign, and instructions, to get to shipping and receiving, I went across the entire Triumph parking lot to get to a couple other SpaceX buildings, also on Alder Crest Drive.

... then I got chased away by a polite guy wearing dark clothes with a radio mic on his sweater.   :o
He suggested pictures were not allowed.    :-X

We all should always honor requests like that, it makes it better for everyone if SpaceX fans don't get the 'foamer" reputation that some railfans got ...  stay out of parking lots and private property unless invited.

That said, if on public property, pictures are allowed.

Glad you figured out how to attach things.

Also, this move probably was disruptive to their operations but better sooner than later... AND it means that the somewhat panicked posts (about empty parking lots on weekdays) earlier were false alarms, thankfully.

Good sleuthing.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 1255
  • Likes Given: 1017
« Reply #16 on: 10/26/2018 05:45 am »
SpaceX neighbor, Triumph Aerospace

Seattle, WA
Integrated Systems – Electronics & Control – Seattle
The systems engineering and integration focal for Triumph Group companies, specializing in motion, control & power systems for commercial and military aircraft & rotorcraft.                  

FACILITY DETAILS      
Address
      22922 NE Alder Crest Dr. Redmond, WA 98053
      Facility Size
      42,000 sq. ft.
      FAI Capability      
KEY PRODUCTS      
•   Multi axis motion control & power systems
   •   Primary & auxiliary landing gear systems
   •   Hydraulic systems architecture
   •   Cargo & cowl door actuation systems
   •   Aircraft data bus & control panels
   •   Actuators & control electronics
CERTIFICATIONS
   •   ISO 9001 and AS / EN / JISQ9100 Certified
   •   Boeing QMS D6-82479 certified
   •   System/component analysis
   •   Electrical / hydraulic / mechanical testing

CORE CAPABILITIES      
Engineering
   •   Aircraft system design
   •   Hydraulic component & systems design
   •   Electrical component & systems integration/spatial integration
   •   3D solid modeling using the latest versions of CATIA & solid works
   •   Finite element analysis (FEA)/stress analysis using cosmos
   •   CFD analysis using Flowworks
   •   Cosmos motion for kinematics analysis
   •   MatLab/Simulink for dynamic modeling
   •   Labview of data acquisition
   •   Animation studio & Samart Schemati      

42,000 sqft seems to refer to the single building (Standard Process NW, a Nutitional Suppliment company occupies the other paired building), so the roughly similar sized SpaceX buildings likely have about 80k sqft.
« Last Edit: 10/26/2018 06:16 am by Ludus »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #17 on: 10/26/2018 07:58 am »
We all should always honor requests like that, it makes it better for everyone if SpaceX fans don't get the 'foamer" reputation that some railfans got ...  stay out of parking lots and private property unless invited.

Emphasis mine.

You might wanna parse that in plain English for us ignoramuses from accross the big pond?

Offline SimonFD

« Reply #18 on: 10/26/2018 08:17 am »

Emphasis mine.

You might wanna parse that in plain English for us ignoramuses from across the big pond?

How about this?: "it makes it better for everyone if SpaceX fans don't get the rabid fan reputation that some railfans got"

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so

Offline hopalong

• Milton Keynes
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #19 on: 10/26/2018 08:19 am »

Emphasis mine.

You might wanna parse that in plain English for us ignoramuses from accross the big pond?

In the UK that would be the more obsessive Train Spotters who trespass on to the railway tracks to get photos of locomotives etc. making a complete nuisance of them selves.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography