Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - SES-9 - March 4, 2016 - DISCUSSION  (Read 1087718 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 FT - SES-9 - March 4, 2016 - DISCUSSION
« Reply #140 on: 06/24/2015 03:22 pm »
SpaceX does, in fact, have some idea of the wear and tear involved. Telemetry and recovered pieces of the rocket as well as grasshopper and F9Rdev1 tests. Not to mention the extensive ground testing of their stages.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #141 on: 06/24/2015 03:54 pm »
I agree w & R.

A few more things that will need to be baselined as they try to find the tolerances for re-used stages during NM re-flight tests.

-V1.2 stages will have different thrust and fuel vectors that will apply alternate stresses to the stages then V1.1.

-2nd stage stretch with additional fuel mass will also impact structural core stage compressions which will also impact "wear & tear" and subsequent re-use

-V1.2 will be launching larger payloads to more orbits. While not all F9s will be tasked with this, there will be additional flight profiles which will cause harsher return profiles that will need to be checked as well.

So, these next two returns are critical but IMO, SES-9 and its' subsequent return, inspection and re-test will really validate, their ultimate re-use guidelines. (so-to-speak)
« Last Edit: 06/24/2015 04:26 pm by rcoppola »
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #142 on: 09/07/2015 01:16 pm »
Cross posting on request!

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/09/spacex-conducts-falcon-9-improvements-busy-schedule/

Notes:
Summary of some of the notes we've been working with in L2.
Schedule is highly preliminary, but confidence in it was elevated by other sites later noting they think SES-9 will ride first as RTF and the closeness of the CRS-8 date. Still totally preliminary - don't go booking any flights! ;)

A lot of media ran with Ms. Shotwell's comments from AIAA, so tried to avoid copying that as you will already have read it.

A bit of cool stuff on the Dragons and some things you may not have heard about per the "Deep Dive" work and alternative path evaluations (one of which we think caused one journalist to think the struts weren't at fault. That one took a good bit of evaluation to show it was only a check on the fault tree, not a smoking gun, so I can see how that could have been misinterpreted by that other site).

Could have gone on a bit about 2016 with FH, but didn't want to get too wordy and kept it below 1500 words. We'll do something on FH later (probably for a milestone such as pad complete - which it nearly is, or a core shipping, etc.) Same goes with ASDS and Vandy first stage landings.

Please copy this post (all of the post) into the relevant manifest and mission threads, so people have the link and also my note about not booking hotels just yet! ;D) Just thought it would be a good idea to have a standalone thread, otherwise we may end up with people talking about future Dragons in a Jason-3 thread, etc.

Hope this is useful to you all.

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 3041
« Reply #143 on: 09/08/2015 03:05 am »
C'mon guys... Plans change.
Reuse is a massive wildcard.
Until SX recovers the first stage, even for SX itself its speculation on what they will do next. Whatever they say might (heck, probably will) be altered.
  The stage might be in better or worse state than expected.

There's significant precedent for this. Early re-use tests progressed so much faster than expected it made the GH program mosty obsolete. They quickly changed their focus into the landing aspects of GH, as they managed the soft landing on the ocean prematurely.

Let's not go too wild on this debate.
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Online Confusador

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #144 on: 09/08/2015 03:26 pm »
C'mon guys... Plans change.
Reuse is a massive wildcard.
Until SX recovers the first stage, even for SX itself its speculation on what they will do next. Whatever they say might (heck, probably will) be altered.
  The stage might be in better or worse state than expected.

There's significant precedent for this. Early re-use tests progressed so much faster than expected it made the GH program mosty obsolete. They quickly changed their focus into the landing aspects of GH, as they managed the soft landing on the ocean prematurely.

Let's not go too wild on this debate.

Seeing as that discussion hadn't continued since June, I'd say no one was going wild.  Of course, knowing this forum they will now, but you have only yourself to blame. ;)

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #145 on: 09/10/2015 02:54 pm »
Did I read this will be a v1.2 and not a v1.1?

Offline nadreck

Did I read this will be a v1.2 and not a v1.1?
Yes
It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #147 on: 09/10/2015 04:29 pm »
Thread title lists v1.1, someone should sacrifice a virgin to the mods ...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Chris Bergin

Done....the thread title that is ;)

PS Update 2 for the launch date plans:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/09/full-thrust-falcon-9-stage-testing-mcgregor/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Seems to be settling in the middle of Nov.

Nov 1. Then Nov. 20. SES hoping for Nov. 17.

And yeah, we're still waiting for that short firing. Was to be last week, but they had a few teething issues with ths new test stand.

Peter B. de Selding ‏@pbdes  2m2 minutes ago
SES: No earlier than Nov 17 for SpaceX Falcon 9 v1 upgrade flight of SES-9. 15-second ignition of denser-fueled 1st stage this week.
« Last Edit: 09/14/2015 08:04 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500

Offline nadreck

We are getting closer! Here is the fcc application.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=initial&application_seq=67983

Looks like they have invented time travel:

Requested Period of Operation
Operation Start Date:   11/15/2015
Operation End Date:   05/15/2015

It is all well and good to quote those things that made it past your confirmation bias that other people wrote, but this is a discussion board damnit! Let us know what you think! And why!

Offline Mangala

• Portugal
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #152 on: 10/10/2015 10:54 am »

Looks like they have invented time travel:

Requested Period of Operation
Operation Start Date:   11/15/2015
Operation End Date:   05/15/2015

So Chris was right about that:
Chris B - NSF
‏@NASASpaceflight

Tease: It may take weeks, or even months, to be announced, but what I've just been shown is THE most exciting thing EVER. #SpaceX

;D ;)
« Last Edit: 10/10/2015 10:56 am by Mangala »

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #153 on: 10/21/2015 11:00 am »
Jacques :-)

Offline chapi

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #154 on: 10/21/2015 01:54 pm »

Which is the facility the satellite is standing right now (I mean, on those pictures)?

Thanks

Edit : removed a silly question
« Last Edit: 10/21/2015 01:59 pm by chapi »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #155 on: 10/21/2015 03:04 pm »
the factory

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #156 on: 10/21/2015 06:42 pm »
Must be scary to handle that equipment. Especially when the scaffolding comes off. I have seen some pretty scary expensive scientific instruments close up. I was sweating bricks and kept my hands tight in their pockets, never going to touch anything. I cant imagine how handling a satellite must be. Good luck folks! :)

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #157 on: 10/21/2015 07:24 pm »
Must be scary to handle that equipment. Especially when the scaffolding comes off. I have seen some pretty scary expensive scientific instruments close up. I was sweating bricks and kept my hands tight in their pockets, never going to touch anything. I cant imagine how handling a satellite must be. Good luck folks! :)

Even though there have been accidents, when people became too careless while handling these multi-million dollar satellites. You really do not want to cause such a mishap like the NOAA-N-Prime incident: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=10299
« Last Edit: 10/21/2015 07:28 pm by Skyrocket »

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #158 on: 10/21/2015 07:54 pm »

Even though there have been accidents, when people became too careless while handling these multi-million dollar satellites. You really do not want to cause such a mishap like the NOAA-N-Prime incident: http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=10299

A partial non sequitor perhaps, but a thread I started a while back yielded a lot of good recollections of similar incidents http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=34926
« Last Edit: 10/21/2015 09:06 pm by NovaSilisko »

Offline Graham

• Aerospace Engineer
  • New York
  • Liked: 254
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #159 on: 12/10/2015 04:07 pm »
Peter de Sleding reports that SES expects their sat to go uphill on a FT in mid January
SES: We now expect our SES-9 (5,300kg-important-for-2016-rev-forecast) satellite to launch on SpaceX Full-Thrust Falcon 9 in mid-January.

And James Dean reports that the sat itself is at the Cape
SES reports its SES-9 communications satellite has arrived at Cape Canaveral for mid-January launch to GEO on upgraded SpaceX Falcon 9.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2015 04:09 pm by Graham »
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night
- Sarah Williams

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography