Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Iridium NEXT Flight 1 DISCUSSION (Jan. 14 2017)  (Read 442010 times)

Offline cebri

• Spain
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 181
That video feed was great. Now let's wait for the S2 restart.

"It's kind of amazing that a window of opportunity is open for life to beyond Earth, and we don't know how long this window is gonna be open" Elon Musk
"If you want to see an endangered species, get up and look in the mirror." John Young

Offline Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
I can't believe they showed the first stage camera view, live, all the way down. That was astounding.

Offline ellindsey

• New Jersey
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 10
This was the first time I have heard the grid fins are powered by nitrogen. Was this known previously?

Matthew
Compressed nitrogen providing pressure for the hydraulic system, yes.

Offline The_Ronin

• Master of Servers, Big and Small
  • *nix engineer & space geek
  • Nashville, TN
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 209
This was the first time I have heard the grid fins are powered by nitrogen. Was this known previously?

Matthew

That may have been a mistaken comment.  It was RP-1 for the hydraulic fluid before, right?

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
Best ever view of landing!
EDIT: looked to be a bit of movement after landing, and maybe a bit of a list on the stage following landing? Not sure, might be a camera angle artefact.
Movement yes, but this seems to be pretty normal, perhaps a ground effect kicking in at the last moment.  List no, that's just a fish-eye camera effect.

Congratulations to SpaceX for a very nice looking launch so far.  Obviously the most important part is yet to come.

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 1053
  • Likes Given: 116
Best ever view of landing!
EDIT: looked to be a bit of movement after landing, and maybe a bit of a list on the stage following landing? Not sure, might be a camera angle artefact.
Movement yes, but this seems to be pretty normal, perhaps a ground effect kicking in at the last moment.  List no, that's just a fish-eye camera effect.

Congratulations to SpaceX for a very nice looking launch so far.  Obviously the most important part is yet to come.
Agree on rewatch, looks like camera artefact.

Offline The_Ronin

• Master of Servers, Big and Small
  • *nix engineer & space geek
  • Nashville, TN
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 209
Might be off topic, but I assume JRTI is bringing the core back to Long Beach.  I guess they are going to truck it directly back to Hawthorne for processing?

Offline HankinNM

• Mountainair, NM
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 29
WOW!!  That landing was exciting!  I found myself yelling at my computer as she came down.  Spacex is Back In Business!!
Not an engineer or a mathematician.  Just a rabid space/astronomy freak and Spacex 'groupie'.

Offline watermod

• Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 153
Congrats to SpaceX - crossing fingers but looking positive for Iridium!!
 :)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
That landing rocketcam shot was....Amazing!! WOW!!!
« Last Edit: 01/14/2017 05:12 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 620
  • Likes Given: 2127
If you want a lagging livestream to catch up put YouTube in speed 1.25x mode. It'll automatically return to speed 1x mode once it's caught up.

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2295
  • Likes Given: 4433
SpaceX made it look easy.

Offline Hankelow8

• UK
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 68
What more could they ask for, no delays on launch, perfect touch down within centimetres (I think), and hopefully stage 2 perfect start up sending Iridium satellites into correct orbit.

Space X are back !!

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20639
Spectacular show, SpaceX!  Launch and Landing soo smooth.... Experimental Landing on JRTI scored a perfect 10 in my book. 

Soo glad there was focus on the 1st stage all the way down, no dropout of signal, and no apparent residual flames from the engines after touchdown.  Obviously the RTF period has provided time for some noteworthy refinements, at least in the "optics" department  ;D

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 599
Anyone see and know what the tumbling thing was to the left and below the first stage during the reentry burn?  It was so fast I couldn't tell.  Would be surprised if it where a fairing segment.

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
I'm currently watching the technical webcast where a continuous ambience of running water and venting can be heard.

Is the running water part of the water deluge system? Or is it from another source?
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
Although the initial deployment orbit of the Iridium-NEXT satellites will be at an altitude of 667 kilometers and an inclination of 86.4 degrees to either side of the Equator, the satellites will actually raise their altitude to 780 kilometers once they move a safe distance away from the second stage.

I would imagine that the satellites will raise their orbits at different times to inject themselves into the final working orbit at the correct position within the plane.  I am assuming here that all of the satellites will end up in a single plane.

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
Any possibility of trouble from the South Atlantic anomaly on the other side of the pole?

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Any possibility of trouble from the South Atlantic anomaly on the other side of the pole?

The orbit doesn't go near it anytime soon. They'll be coming up over the Indian Ocean toward South Asia.

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
Anyone see and know what the tumbling thing was to the left and below the first stage during the reentry burn?  It was so fast I couldn't tell.  Would be surprised if it where a fairing segment.
If you're referring to the object at about 5:40 , that cannot possibly be fairing. The fairing was released well before than, and both S1 and S2 have accelerated from that location since.

Much more likely, its a smallish, close object. Possibly a cover for the gridfin vents or somesuch. (they were opened just a few seconds before this)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography