Author Topic: Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee Hearing - Planetary Science 15 Nov  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
This one got over looked.   But consider the slant on this forum.

Exploring Mars and Beyond: What’s Next for U.S. Planetary Science?

Witnesses

Dr. Jim Green, Planetary Science Division Director, Science Mission Directorate, National Aeronautics and Space Administration

Dr. Steve Squyres, Chair, Committee on the Planetary Science Decadal Survey, National Academies of Science
« Last Edit: 11/16/2011 02:49 pm by Jim »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
Twitter@jeff_foust
Jeff Foust
Rohrabacher asks if any of these planetary missions will use SLS (aka "mega-rocket of all time" and "space Titanic"). Green: no.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
This one got over looked. 

Looks like you overlooked something too ;) Where's the streaming link?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
This one got over looked. 

Looks like you overlooked something too ;) Where's the streaming link?

It was yesterday

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
Archive link or recap?

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10994
Archive link or recap?

http://science.house.gov/hearing/space-and-aeronautics-subcommittee-hearing-planetary-science

there is a video player in bedded in the page with the video; opens in Windows Media Player, I get Audio, but no video; perhaps it will work for you

cheers
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Archive link or recap?

http://science.house.gov/hearing/space-and-aeronautics-subcommittee-hearing-planetary-science

there is a video player in bedded in the page with the video; opens in Windows Media Player, I get Audio, but no video; perhaps it will work for you

cheers

Just checked and the video/audio works fine for me.  Just no time to watch.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Prober

• Nevada

Witnesses

Dr. Jim Green, Planetary Science Division Director, Science Mission Directorate, National Aeronautics and Space Administration
http://science.house.gov/sites/republicans.science.house.gov/files/documents/hearings/111511_Green.pdf
Dr. Steve Squyres, Chair, Committee on the Planetary Science Decadal Survey, National Academies of Science
http://science.house.gov/sites/republicans.science.house.gov/files/documents/hearings/111511_Squyres.pdf

added their pdf's.
« Last Edit: 11/17/2011 06:13 pm by Prober »

Offline dlapine

• University of Illinois
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 312

Witnesses

http://science.house.gov/sites/republicans.science.house.gov/files/documents/hearings/111511_Green%20Truth.pdf

http://science.house.gov/sites/republicans.science.house.gov/files/documents/hearings/111511_Squyres%20Truth.pdf

added their pdf's.

Um, those are just their statements verifying their intent to testify truthfully.

Other than the video, is there any transcript available of what was actually said?

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
I figure Jim has something... Just a matter of time.

Offline dlapine

• University of Illinois
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 312
The hearing charter:
http://science.house.gov/sites/republicans.science.house.gov/files/documents/hearings/111511_Charter.pdf
has some useful introduction.

The focus of the committee hearing is on Mars exploration.

I see that the Planetary science is complaining the loss of the Delta II as a launch vehicle, but ignores the availability of the Falcon 9, given its lack of a launch history.  Of course, no one is calling the Falcon 9 reliable yet, but it's not unrealistic to at least mention it as an upcoming option when planning your exploration program for the next 5 years. Price and spec-wise, it seems comparable to a Delta II.

I also note that that they want more radioisotopes.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
@cro-magnon gramps:  Don't worry if you have no video:  there's not much to see.

The biggest single topic of the hearing seemed to be alleged hemming and hawing by OMB with respect to NASA's commitment to ESA to launch its 2016 Mars mission.  Dr. Squyres, Rep. Palazzo and other representatives complained about this in various forms.  Mr. Green more or less denied there was any hold up without actually saying so.

BtW, to listen to these things, I often use VLC to record them in a convenient format (e.g., Ogg or MP3) and then listen to them while at the gym:

• Copy address of the .wvx
• Open VLC
• Hit Ctrl+N (or select the Media | Open Network Stream)
• Enter the URL from above and select the MMS protocol.
• Click the downward-pointing arrowhead to the left of the Play button at the bottom of the tab and select Convert.
• On the Convert menu, enter the name of the "Destination file" in which the recording is to be placed.
• If desired, click "Display the output."  Under "Settings," select a suitable profile, e.g., "Video - Theora + Vorbis (OGG)."  Click "Start."
« Last Edit: 11/17/2011 02:24 am by Proponent »

Offline Drkskywxlt

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
It seems Congress is supportive of planetary science and of the missions the Decadal Survey has recommended (including supporting flagship-class missions).  However, OMB continues to hold up the joint NASA-ESA Mars program because they (apparently) don't like feeling obligated to participate in 3 flagship missions as part of the Mars Sample Return effort.  Unfortunately, caught in that hangup is the 2016 orbiter, which is not part of the MSR campaign and is really a very affordable mission (a bit bigger than a Discovery mission). 

Planetary Science looks to come out pretty well in the 2012 budget, especially since many thought it would take the biggest hit to support JWST. 

The "WTF" moment of the hearing was apparently when a Republican Congressman said that "God put the asteroid belt there as a barrier to human exploration beyond it" or words to that effect. 

Offline Prober

• Nevada
I figure Jim has something... Just a matter of time.

Just updated above

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
The "WTF" moment of the hearing was apparently when a Republican Congressman said that "God put the asteroid belt there as a barrier to human exploration beyond it" or words to that effect. 

You gotta be kidding me.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25241
  • Likes Given: 12115

You gotta be kidding me.
Do you guys know when that was and who said it?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Drkskywxlt

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
You gotta be kidding me.

I saw this posted by a Facebook friend, and I haven't watched the whole video to check.  I've looked for a transcript of the session and can't find one online.  At first this FB friend said it was one of the two TX Republicans, but then that person got corrected and told it was Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA). 

Offline Hop_David

• Ajo, Arizona
    • Hop's Gallery
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 60
You gotta be kidding me.

I saw this posted by a Facebook friend, and I haven't watched the whole video to check.  I've looked for a transcript of the session and can't find one online.  At first this FB friend said it was one of the two TX Republicans, but then that person got corrected and told it was Dana Rohrabacher (R-CA). 

From
Rohrabacher starts at 41:30. A few minutes later he makes the asteroid belt comment.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography