Author Topic: LIVE: Full Committee Hearing - A Review of NASA's Space Launch System  (Read 475691 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Mr Wu wants to go back to parafin fuel. Tells Bolden to go look into it.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline spacermase

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Man, this paraffin fuel thing is getting a lot of mileage...

Offline Chris Bergin

Rep going back to JWST.

Bolden: I've tried to explain why it's important. Made a lot of management changes. 75 percent of the hardware is there. It's in the President's 2012 budget.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Space Pete

2017 is not human rated. Still early 2020s for a human rated SLS (wow........that's pants).

I would love to have more money for commercial crew to help them be a success, but it's not there.

WTF? How the hell does it take 9 years to make a human rated booster out of components that are already human rated?!?!

They might as well just cancel SLS, and divert all funds into an evolved F9H. Even if it's not cheaper, it'll probably be quicker.

Congress tell NASA that they want SLS and commercial crew, then don't provide enough funding for either. Totally FUBAR. >:(
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
Honestly this whole thing is a huge joke IMO. Congress needs to DO SOMETHING to force NASA to follow the law which states: SLS ready for MANNED FLIGHTS by 2016 and MPCV same. Not 2017 or 2020,  2016

This is a freaking CXP repeat but this time the reason is because of the Omb being used a chess piece in a WH game. Pretty clear to me from this hearing so far that, as many suspected, the delays are coming from the WH no where else. Bolden even said he had already made a design choice.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Nate_Trost

• Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 2
Rep on Orion.

Bolden: Orion will be ready 2017-2020

Between that and 2017 for a first SLS test flight, I think all Congress needs to do is disband NASA and hire everybody back for a new agency minus the previous top-level administration and voila, we'd reduce those dates by a couple years.

Offline Chris Bergin

Rep blaming OMB for JWST.

Bolden: Still developing replan for Webb based on 2012.

Q) But you support funding?

Bolden) (Sorta says yes)

Q) Want OMB flexibility

Bolden: (sorta says yes - clearly being careful, I assume OMB have big sticks?)

Q) On workforce.

A) I saw them all at KSC for the launch, they were upbeat...(yeah right). (Gets cut off).

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
2017 is not human rated. Still early 2020s for a human rated SLS (wow........that's pants).

I would love to have more money for commercial crew to help them be a success, but it's not there.

WTF? How the hell does it take 9 years to make a human rated booster out of components that are already human rated?!?!

They might as well just cancel SLS, and divert all funds into an evolved F9H. Even if it's not cheaper, it'll probably be quicker.

Congress tell NASA that they want SLS and commercial crew, then don't provide enough funding for either. Totally FUBAR. >:(

Its coming from the white house. That's where this is coming from, it doesn't take that long we were on track until July 8th got delayed because of the WH using OMB as a blocking piece.

Its become clear to me this is not going to get solved until Obama is gone.
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Honestly this whole thing is a huge joke IMO. Congress needs to DO SOMETHING to force NASA to follow the law which states: SLS ready for MANNED FLIGHTS by 2016 and MPCV same. Not 2017 or 2020,  2016
Yeah, Congress can give NASA a full budget. No bucks, no Buck Rogers.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
Mrs. Lee actually making some very very good points for a change, asking hard questions about what Houston's role will be in the future and why the heck we didn't a shuttle, asking how NASA expect's to inspire the next generation with no meaningful program.
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
Between that and 2017 for a first SLS test flight, I think all Congress needs to do is disband NASA and hire everybody back for a new agency minus the previous top-level administration and voila, we'd reduce those dates by a couple years.

Remember, SLS was Congress's (Senate's) idea originally, and now it's backfired royally.

Apparently, canceling Ares because NASA doesn't know how to build a rocket, and then giving them a rocket to build isn't good strategy...

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota

Its coming from the white house. That's where this is coming from, it doesn't take that long we were on track until July 8th got delayed because of the WH using OMB as a blocking piece.

Its become clear to me this is not going to get solved until Obama is gone.
Only clear in your mind, when it was Republicans who cut NASA by ~$2billion LESS THAN OBAMA'S REQUEST.

I mean, I didn't even vote for Obama, but he surely seems to support NASA with more funding than the Republicans in the House.

But keep telling yourself that Obama is trying to kill NASA... by funding it more than the House Republicans!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Chris Bergin

Another rep likes Bolden's emotion over Atlantis. Rep calls Atlantis a her - thus I automatically like this rep :D

Notes concerns over the next gen of astros etc. Concerned about the messaging.

We're looking at SLS, but the message is not getting to the people. What will be Houston's role? And wants a Shuttle being loaned to Houston.

Bolden: NASA is 17,000 civil service and 40,000 contractors. JSC will continue to play a critical role.

Q) So will we see a ramping up of employees?

Bolden: Over time you'll see a bottoming out and then a ramping up. Commercial entities will be represented in Houston and Space Coast.

Q) We're looking for jobs and expertise.

Bolden: The US will remain in the lead of space exploration. We will do deep space exploration. If we get less funding, we'll still do it, but it'll take longer.

Rep notes she's fighting for Houston and they need a shuttle.

Offline Chris Bergin

Only post what's been said. It's still going on. I'll delete all the above back because people want to read what's said not opinion yet.

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
Rep now asking about propulsion depots vs. SLS and if we could do this sooner with on orbit refueling.

Bolden states he doesn't have the answer right now. References ongoing evaluations on SLS. Mentions EOR not being as cheap as BEOR
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
Rep. Hall is saying he respects Bolden, then says he's begging (not asking) for information.

Offline Chris Bergin

Rep heaping praise on Bolden. Looks like it's coming to a close.

Wants a closing statement.

Bolden: People need to look at what our current president has done in supporting the space program. I can't remember one which has taken such a personal interest....

...ok, he's just praising his boss.

Mr Hall wants a final decision out of him. Shouldn't take a year. We have a workforce, and there future is being heavily impacted by NASA's indecision. And whoever wrote this for me (OMG! Own goal) says this should be taken to the white house.

Deserved praise for strapping himself to a rocket three times. People almost worship you, but we're not asking for information, we're begging for information. I just urge you to look at Congress and what we've asked from you.

END.

WOW! Bolden totally won that. From that opening statement from Mr Hall, to Bolden's teary opening response, I thought they were going to beat him up. But somehow he held his ground and the lawmakers totally let him off the hook.

Got to give props where they are deserved, he somehow won that.

Bolden 1-0 Congress.
« Last Edit: 07/12/2011 04:23 pm by Chris Bergin »

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
I removed mine Chris your's is more complete :D
"Live Long and Prosper"

Online FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
Considering that this is now over do you want me to start a separate discussion thread or let the discussions take place on here? I pulled some of my comments and saved them down for an alternate thread.
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Chris Bergin

PS I'll leave most of the posts on the thread, I just thought I needed to grab control of the way people were getting into responding to each other, not what was being said ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography