Author Topic: Boeing Selects Atlas V Launch Vehicle for CST-100 - August 4, 2011  (Read 128143 times)

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
...launching a full-up orbital Atlas with the intent to have range-safety blow it up mid-flight. That's ballsy.

A full live Centaur would not be required there.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
...launching a full-up orbital Atlas with the intent to have range-safety blow it up mid-flight. That's ballsy.

A full live Centaur would not be required there.

But it will be since:
a.  TLYF
b.  It can't be flown empty
c.  it can't be flown with different fluid
d. too much engineering to do the above

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Does it need a real RL-10 though, or would some mockup/mass simulator suffice?

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
Does it need a real RL-10 though, or would some mockup/mass simulator suffice?

Would probably depend on where they do the abort, however would like to know whether or not the range would still need to activate the destruct device, and whether or not a centaur could continue to orbit after the simulated abort (ride for CRYOTE?)

Offline Chris Bergin

Has anyone seen any decent hi res images of Atlas with CST-100?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline JosephB

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1

with the single solid?

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
Would probably depend on where they do the abort,

At max drag , probably, close to Mach 1 (like they say in the presser, transonic).

however would like to know whether or not the range would still need to activate the destruct device,

TLYF ? they probably will.

and whether or not a centaur could continue to orbit after the simulated abort (ride for CRYOTE?)

No way. IMO.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Would probably depend on where they do the abort

I would think they'd want do the abort test at max-Q which is well within 1st stage burn. Centaur's primary purpose would then be to provide guidance to the vehicle and provide a large s#!tload of explosive stuff.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 0
Apparently, two lucky Boeing test pilots will get to fly the CST-100 to the ISS on its first crewed flight!

I'm sure there will be room for a third tag-along ISS fan who could blog the whole thing for NSF - no fee required, I'll sign any waiver you want! ;D

I think you misheard or misread something.  The first manned flight isn't planned to dock to ISS.

Offline Space Pete

I think you misheard or misread something.  The first manned flight isn't planned to dock to ISS.

Ah, I see - so just a rendezvous, and no docking?

I'd still take that. :D
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Chris Bergin

with the single solid?

Doesn't have to be, just need something for the lead image.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
The strap-on solid bothers me for crewed flight.   

But Liberty's solid first stage doesn't?

A strap-on booster adds failure modes compared to a straight two-stage launch vehicle.  Liberty would be a two stage rocket with one motor and one liquid engine.  Atlas 421 will be a 2.5 stage rocket with one solid strap-on motor and three liquid engines using four thrust chambers/nozzles.  More components and separation events equals more failure modes.

From ESAS: 

"Augmentation of the medium-lift class systems with solid strap-on boosters ... poses an issue for crew safety regarding small strap-on Solid Rocket Motor (SRM) reliability, as determined by the Orbital Space Plane-ELV (OSP–ELV) Flight Safety Certification Study report, dated March 2004"

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 08/04/2011 06:15 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
Frankly, Ed, I would be more willing to trust my safety to the Aerojet SRB (or even the ATK GEMs) with dozens of missions between them, than the RSRM-V-inline which has none and has serious flight dynamic issues that may make an abort during burn impossible.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
So what does the future hold for the Delta IV? Looks like it's the loser in all the CCDEV choices. Is there enough other business for it to remain viable?

That's a question that we've been discussion on various EELV-oriented threads.  Purely FWIW, I suspect that being 'All-American' (i.e. no pesky Energomash or NK Engines core engines), Delta-IV will still get some DoD business to secure its future for the short-term (until ~2020).  Indeed, the selection of Atlas-V-412 by Boeing actually improves Delta-IV's prospects as fewer Atlas-V launch slots will be available for DoD and other USG cargo payloads.  Long term, DoD is looking to develop such goodies as fly-back boosters and such things, so the EELVs will likely be replaced by the 2030s.

There's a long term elephant in the room when it comes to Atlas V and that is the long term supply of cheap RD-180s. 101 were ordered and 50 have been delivered so far at a unit cost of around $10m each. The Russians have recently complained they are being sold at half production cost so expect any new ones after the batch of 101 to start at $30+m. This will change the future cost equation against Delta IV especially the RS-68A ones and steps are also being taken to make their manufacturing cheaper too as part of the ULA arrangement.

http://www.aeroworld.net/5th06177.htm
http://www.npoenergomash.ru/eng/engines/rd180/
http://www.spacenews.com/commentaries/110512-fromwires-engine-maker-half-cost-sales.html

Offline Chris Bergin

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
This will change the future cost equation against Delta IV especially the RS-68A ones and steps are also being taken to make their manufacturing cheaper too as part of the ULA arrangement.

still not enough to make Delta IV competitive.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
@ marsavian,

Agreed that the RD-180 supply would dry up a lot quicker.  That is obviouisly something that would have to be remedied as a matter of priority.

That said, there is some talk about ultimately replacing the 'stock' -180, either with US-built RD-180s or some other US-built engine.  2 x AJ-26-500 has been mentioned but I don't know with how much authority.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 116

Offline Chris Bergin

Heh, thanks. Atlas V is doing an impression of Charlie Sheen, lately.

Dream Chaser, Blue Origin, CST-100.....Winning!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography