Author Topic: NASASpaceflight.com into Year 9 of Operations  (Read 17259 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

So it's that time of year when it's our anniversary. As per usual, I start one of these threads to note where we are and what we have planned - and allow for feedback.

Status

We increased our readership year-on-year again - despite the first full year without Shuttle - in 2012. We published our visitation figures here (which is rare for a site - most just "say" what they gain in readership and never prove it):
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=30767.0

We have the new news site live and looking good. Many thanks to Aaron for his hard work on designing and coding that. We've just recently passed 2,500 news articles - the vast majority of which are based on exclusive/unique content.

The forum is fast approaching 1,000,000 posts, with well over 100 million views for just the threads in the SpaceX section.

L2 - the lifeblood of this site - is continuing to push on. We now have 10 dedicated sections and several hundred subsections. I honestly think it's stronger than the Shuttle days as we have such a wider area of coverage now - reflected in the 93 percent renewal rate for the past 12 month period.

Coming soon:

We will have the new forum into beta testing very soon, before the database port over to the "new skin". It's the same software company, so it won't feel like you need to re-learn how to post, etc. However, it will be vastly updated software and with some very useful additions. It'll also look a lot better and work under the template of the news site with the surrounding links, etc. (I've had a look at it and I love it! ;D) Beta Testing invites will be offered to L2 members soon.

We will continue to refine our moderation practises to best suit both the aim of a high S/N Ratio and the friendly/informative nature of this site's community. For the site's size and subject matter we have an excellent community here.

Remember, if you like this site - and if not what are you doing here ;) - you can support this site in several ways.

Absolute top of the list is to join L2: http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/l2/

If you have a product or are with a company that feels they could benefit from exposure on this site, we have a range of options with prices accessible to everyone:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/advertising/

If you feel you can add something, be it via articles, graphics, videos etc - join our team:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/about/ - and contact me.

Or, you can simply help us by making sure you use the social media share buttons on the bottom of news articles and spread the word.

Remember, you could be a first time reader, a guest, a logged in member, a L2 member, or a writer for the site, etc. We're all part of a community here, don't forget that.

Post your throughts below! :)
Chris.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Space Pete

Re: NASASpaceflight.com into Year 9 of Operations
« Reply #1 on: 04/08/2013 07:47 pm »
And so begins one more orbit of the Sun for NSF before the big one-zero! Congratulations! :)

I'm looking forward to the new forum graphics, if the news site is anything to go by, they should be good.

The community really is great here. I love it because we're not just one of those sites that push a pre-determined political stance on every event, but instead offer a fact-based, equally fair, and above all, passionate take on things. The community here is very civil and level-headed (compared to some other sites), and that's why NSF is always my #1 source for any space info (and L2 usually has the story first, before I read about it anywhere else).

I can't wait to re-live last year's "Dragon fever", this time for Cygnus, and I think we have lots of events upcoming that I look forward to following on here.

I will of course continue to cover the ISS as much as I can, and with that I'd just like to say thanks to Chris for all the work he does, and declare that NSF is GO for one more Solar rev. :D
« Last Edit: 04/08/2013 07:49 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 8747
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #2 on: 04/08/2013 08:31 pm »
Excellent work and continued success!

Continue to be impressed with all parts of this site, especially L2. I hope people appreciate how lucky they are to have this site.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2013 08:50 pm »
Congratulations. Echo the above points about looking forward to the new forum and how this is a great site.

Proud L2 Member!

Offline scienceguy

• Regular
  • Lethbridge, Alberta
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #4 on: 04/08/2013 09:09 pm »
I check this site multiple times a day. There are a lot of qualified professionals in the space industry posting first hand info here.

Yaay NSF!
e^(pi*i) = -1

Offline DaveJSC

• ISS FCR. Former Shuttle FCR
  • Liked: 1341
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5 on: 04/08/2013 09:12 pm »
Highly superior site to anything else out there, although there really isn't anything that is specific to space flight and covers it so deeply. Well done Chris and team.

Offline Mapperuo

• Assistant Webmaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Yorkshire
  • Liked: 533
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #6 on: 04/08/2013 09:45 pm »
A huge congratulations Chris and the NSF writers, I read this site more times a day then I do my web work.  :o

Been a privilege to help you bring the news site and very soon the forums into the current era of web designs.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2013 09:45 pm by Mapperuo »
- Aaron

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #7 on: 04/08/2013 10:09 pm »
This site is on the #1 spot in my Opera's Speed Dial on every device I use.

Thanks to writers and L2 subscribers!

Offline edfishel

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #8 on: 04/08/2013 10:25 pm »
At a time when the news budgets for virtually all major media are being cut and the number of major media science and space writers is decreasing, NSF is proof that serious news coverage (and opinion) can still occur.  I believe, Chris, you have captured lightning in a bottle with NASASpaceflight and you are providing an important service.

Moreoever, in this new era of greater diversity in space exploration thanks to the contributions of the commercial space industry, there is more to learn, not less.

Thank you, Chris, and thank all of the experts who contribute to NSF and L2 and make this such an important site to follow.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2013 10:25 pm by edfishel »

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #9 on: 04/09/2013 01:52 am »
I check the site multiple times throughout the day, even if I don't post a whole heck of a lot anymore.  I'm still here, wandering about, reading and learning.

I'd like to thank Chris, and everyone aboard the NSF staff who keep taking this site up and beyond.  It's a great place to come learn and keep updated on ALL things Space, not just NASA or SpaceX. 

Keep it up, I look forward to the 15, 25, even 50 year anniversaries!

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
« Reply #10 on: 04/09/2013 02:30 am »
NSF is a truly remarkable site, unparalleled to any other website out there!
Clayton Birchenough

Offline SpaceX_MS

• Liked: 10292
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #11 on: 04/09/2013 02:44 am »
Congratulations on another anniversary Chris and team.

A site that has not pandered to commercial space but reports it fairly. I prefer that to sites which are set up as flagwavers and tend to be critical about old space. This site is very balanced.

I know a lot of SpaceXers who have joined here recently and enjoy the coverage.

Offline R7

• Propulsophile
    • Don't worry.. we can still be fans of OSC and SNC
  • Liked: 992
  • Likes Given: 668
« Reply #12 on: 04/09/2013 07:43 am »
Congratz to Chris & co!

Simply the best spaceflight news & discussion forum there is.
AD·ASTRA·ASTRORVM·GRATIA

Offline Rangers75

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #13 on: 04/09/2013 07:22 pm »
Very funny R7, but very accurate!

Love this site, thanks to all involved!

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #14 on: 04/10/2013 12:22 pm »
Wow, 9 years, time flies ! here's to the next 9 !

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #15 on: 04/10/2013 03:58 pm »
Looking forward to the upgrades! However, it's the content that makes this site King, so that's always going to be a strength.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #16 on: 04/10/2013 08:58 pm »
Looking forward to the upgrades! However, it's the content that makes this site King, so that's always going to be a strength.

It will need those upgrades for security & anti spam if for no other reasons.

Offline Nickolai

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #17 on: 04/16/2013 02:04 pm »
I'm really eager to see these upgrades. Will there be an ability to up/down-vote a post?

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #18 on: 04/16/2013 02:45 pm »
Been here loud and proud since 2008, by far the best place related to spaceflight updates (besides working for NASA!) that I've run across.

Here's to many returns.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #19 on: 04/16/2013 02:48 pm »

Thanks Chris and NSF!  I've learned so much thanks to this site and the (patient) contributors, and without being made to feel too inadequate.  :)
Looking forward to following this site for many many years (and missions) to come!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography