Author Topic: SpaceX Manifest Discussion Thread  (Read 431209 times)

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4321
  • Likes Given: 1759
Re: SpaceX Manifest Discussion Thread
« Reply #820 on: 10/04/2022 07:59 pm »
From another thread:
At the risk of repeating a movie line... it's not entirely true. I'm still hearing a 5th crew capsule is under construction at Hawthorne. Whether they decide to move ahead with full build of it could be different of course but I suspect they'd like to have an extra one around that is just not long from finished so they can put it in the fleet in a "just in case" scenario.

We'll see though, not the same certification requirements for crew or cargo so re-certification may be harder past 5 flights for crew capsules than cargo. All of this is of course not really related to Crew-5...
Sorry about the off-topic. Replying at
   https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=52191.0
I have exact;y zero inside information. The latest I know of is:
   https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/science/exclusive-spacex-ending-production-flagship-crew-capsule-executive-2022-03-28/

The capsule under construction, C211(?), appears to be a Cargo Dragon.

Yes there's also another cargo dragon under construction, the 3rd in the fleet.
Some context for the manifest thread:  SpaceX has four Crew Dragons, rated for a service life of five missions each, for a total of 20 missions. Crew-5 will be the  eighth mission. Leaving 12 available. But the current manifest has at least 14 additional missions already: Crew-6 through 14, Axiom-2 through 4, and two Polaris missions.

This implies that SpaceX must either build another Crew Dragon or get certified for more than 5 missions per capsule.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #821 on: 10/04/2022 08:23 pm »
Some context for the manifest thread:  SpaceX has four Crew Dragons, rated for a service life of five missions each, for a total of 20 missions. Crew-5 will be the  eighth mission. Leaving 12 available. But the current manifest has at least 14 additional missions already: Crew-6 through 14, Axiom-2 through 4, and two Polaris missions.

This implies that SpaceX must either build another Crew Dragon or get certified for more than 5 missions per capsule.
Is that certification just a NASA thing for NASA flights? In other words: At least the Polaris and possibly the Axiom flights are not affected?
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline r8ix

• Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #822 on: 10/04/2022 08:31 pm »

Is that certification just a NASA thing for NASA flights? In other words: At least the Polaris and possibly the Axiom flights are not affected?

True, but those flights still count against the totals for NASA...

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #823 on: 10/04/2022 08:34 pm »

Obviously the non-NASA flights would have to be number 6+.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline r8ix

• Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #824 on: 10/04/2022 08:36 pm »
Obviously the non-NASA flights would have to be number 6+.
Too late for that.

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #825 on: 10/04/2022 08:59 pm »

3 Launching three days in a row!  (we hope) "Firing on all cylinders" Wow!

edit:  Jinxed it!
If launch of Crew-5 stays on track for October 5, we will stand down from tomorrow's launch attempt of the Starlink mission
— SpaceX (@SpaceX) October 3, 2022
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1577072088241737733

Only jinxed it into 3 missions in 32 hours. So what was the reason they couldn't do 3 in 3 days?  ???  ::)   ;D

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
« Reply #826 on: 10/06/2022 07:38 am »
SFN, After a three-year wait, SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy could launch again later this month, October 5
Tom Ochinero, SpaceX’s vice president of commercial sales, said last month the company plans six Falcon Heavy missions over the next 12 months, among a busy schedule of Falcon 9 missions flying at an average rate of more than once per week. [USSF-44 is the first of six.]
<snip>
Viasat said last week that its first of three Viasat 3-series internet broadband satellites, booked to launch on a Falcon Heavy toward geosynchronous orbit, is scheduled to lift off before the end of the year. But industry sources said the first Viasat 3 launch, already delayed by supply chain issues that affected satellite and payload manufacturing, could delay into early 2023.
<snip>
The Space Force said its USSF-67 mission, which the military says will launch into geosynchronous orbit like USSF-44, is currently scheduled for January.
<snip>
Another Space Force satellite delivery mission booked on a Falcon Heavy, codenamed USSF-52, is now planned to launch in the second quarter of 2023 — between April 1 and June 30.
<snip>
The other Falcon Heavy missions slated for launch in the next 12 months include the heavyweight Jupiter 3 commercial broadband satellite for EchoStar and Hughes Network Systems later in 2023.

[Psyche pending July 2023]
<snip>
SpaceX now has a backlog of up to 13 Falcon Heavy rocket missions.
<snip>
« Last Edit: 10/06/2022 08:09 am by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline ZachF

• Immensely complex & high risk
  • NH, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 2604
  • Likes Given: 531
« Reply #827 on: 10/07/2022 03:17 pm »
Unless I’ve counted wrong, this next launch should tie SpaceX with ULA at 154 consecutive successes.
artist, so take opinions expressed above with a well-rendered grain of salt...
https://www.instagram.com/artzf/

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1596
« Reply #828 on: 10/07/2022 03:22 pm »
Unless I’ve counted wrong, this next launch should tie SpaceX with ULA at 154 consecutive successes.

They're at 154 already by my count.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #829 on: 10/07/2022 03:35 pm »

Are you counting IFA?

Online striver

• Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #830 on: 10/07/2022 04:43 pm »
154 consecutive successful launches. Also need to take into account that this also includes a suborbital launch (Crew Dragon in-flight abort test) and this count starts after the explosion at the launch pad before the Amos-6 mission. So 153 orbital launches.

Offline Tommyboy

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #831 on: 10/07/2022 06:42 pm »

Are you counting IFA?
By ULA's standards that was a successful launch; The customer was satisfied with what they got out of the launch.

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1596
« Reply #832 on: 10/07/2022 07:11 pm »

Are you counting IFA?

I believe so.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #833 on: 10/08/2022 02:58 pm »
I don't get why this one shows a boat but the FH and the maybe RTLS F9 above don't.  If the boat was for fairings then it should be on all 3.  Either typo or doing some tests on reentry?

Offline lenny97

• Pescara, Abruzzo - Italy
  • Liked: 241
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #834 on: 10/08/2022 03:00 pm »
So this is what an expendable F9 FCC permit looks like now (it's been so long).  One of several expendable launches coming up.

1708-EX-ST-2022   
SpaceX Mission 1802 from LC-40 at CCAFS or LC-39A at KSC, and the experimental recovery operation following the Falcon 9 launch...
The first stage booster is expendable...
North  27  54  50   West  71  48  9 Boat
NET mid-November

Curiously, it says specifically:

The first stage booster is expendable with a soft water landing."
Founder of www.spacevoyaging.com — Independent Space News Blog
I'm based in Pescara, Italy. Music addicted.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #835 on: 10/08/2022 03:02 pm »

The FH permit says that too for the center core

Offline lenny97

• Pescara, Abruzzo - Italy
  • Liked: 241
  • Likes Given: 235
« Reply #836 on: 10/08/2022 03:04 pm »

The FH permit says that too for the center core

Kinda misleading, i don't think that those "landings" will be SOFT.

I don't even know if we can call them "landings" ahahah
Founder of www.spacevoyaging.com — Independent Space News Blog
I'm based in Pescara, Italy. Music addicted.

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136
« Reply #837 on: 10/08/2022 03:21 pm »
I guess with the same wording as F Heavy we shouldn't read too much into it.

Landing sounds better than crash. Water is better than mid air disintegration which could spread debris over large area. Soft seems dubious but sounds better than hard that might also suggest splintering over large area.

The start date of 15 Nov sounds a bit late for Galaxy 31 & 32 (5 Nov) or for Eutelsat 10B (11 Nov) or for Hakuto-R (9-15 Nov if that isn't with Eutelsat 10B) 2 O3B sats can't be expendable if they were considering 3 sats on one launch.

Perhaps they know about at least a slight delay to Galaxy 3132 or 10B. 

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #838 on: 10/09/2022 12:19 am »
With the completion of the Intelsat mission today, SpaceX is now tied with ULA on 154 successful consecutive orbital missions.

(Note: I’m including Zuma on the basis that even if, as rumoured, deployment failed that was not a SpaceX issue & the F9 performed correctly.)

Online abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
« Reply #839 on: 10/09/2022 01:05 am »
IIRC SpaceX confirmed the Falcon 9 performed as designed with regards to Zuma.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography