Author Topic: Momentus Space  (Read 62858 times)

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1424
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Momentus Space
« Reply #80 on: 09/05/2020 07:49 am »
It's not a contract to launch anything.  The press release is about using their in-orbit service to move a launched cubesat to its operational orbit (reading between the lines a bit in a rather vague description of what they are doing).  SpaceX launches a satellite and deploys it somewhere, and Momentus uses their system to get it where it needs to be.  112K is basically for a thruster.  Or did I get that wrong?  (it has been known)

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #81 on: 09/05/2020 09:10 am »
[...]
using their in-orbit service to move a launched cubesat
[...]
112K is basically for a thruster.  Or did I get that wrong?

I very much like your characterization in the first snippet above: Vigoride provides an orbital maneuver service.

The second characterization is ... less helpful. If I buy a thruster and slap it onto my cubesat, I have to learn how to use the thrust. But probably I want to focus my effort on what my smallsat will do at its destination, not on getting my smallsat to its destination. A Vigoride service contract assures me I can do that, while still allowing me to assure other stakeholders that the required orbital maneuver will happen correctly.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #82 on: 09/05/2020 02:09 pm »
Besides delivering satellite to orbit, Momentus could also deorbit it at end of life. The satellite then only needs enough DV for station keeping, assuming it has any propulsion.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #83 on: 09/05/2020 02:12 pm »
It's not a contract to launch anything.  The press release is about using their in-orbit service to move a launched cubesat to its operational orbit (reading between the lines a bit in a rather vague description of what they are doing).  SpaceX launches a satellite and deploys it somewhere, and Momentus uses their system to get it where it needs to be.  112K is basically for a thruster.  Or did I get that wrong?  (it has been known)

The NASA launch contract would be with Momentus, not SpaceX.  Momentus has a launch contract with SpaceX.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #84 on: 09/15/2020 04:42 pm »
[Space News] Former Pentagon official Fred Kennedy is the new president of Momentus
Fred Kennedy, former Space Development Agency director, is the new president of Momentus, a Silicon Valley company preparing to transport satellites in orbit.

Offline Davidthefat

• Rockets are life.
  • Greater Los Angeles Area, California
  • Liked: 288
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #85 on: 09/15/2020 05:26 pm »
[Space News] Former Pentagon official Fred Kennedy is the new president of Momentus
Fred Kennedy, former Space Development Agency director, is the new president of Momentus, a Silicon Valley company preparing to transport satellites in orbit.

"Before joining Momentus, Kennedy was the vice president for future missions at small launch vehicle developer Astra.

Kennedy resigned from Astra on Sept. 11. Coincidentally, it was the same day the startup launched its Rocket 3.1 vehicle from Pacific Spaceport Complex Alaska on Kodiak Island. The flight ended during the first-stage burn."

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #86 on: 09/15/2020 05:37 pm »
Kinda funny that Momentus's release said "Dr. Kennedy most recently served as the inaugural Director of the Space Development Agency (SDA)"

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200915006037/en/Momentus-Announces-Appointment-of-Dr.-Fred-Kennedy-as-President

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #87 on: 10/04/2020 03:49 am »
While going through this thread looking for some figures, found this interesting fact. Received power beamed microwaves can be used directly for thrust. Bypasses extra mass and complexity of converting to electricity then back to microwaves for thrust chamber. Not a near term solution but has  potential for these thrusters especially for tugs working within cislunar space. Due to receiving antenna size real only practical for larger tugs in 100s to 1000s mt range which is size payloads that would be needed to justify large power beaming stations.
A recent-ish journal article on a very similar looking propulsion technology: The microwave electro-thermal (MET) thruster using water vapor propellant

Differences are that the linked article describes a magnetron rather than a helicon antenna as a microwave source, but the Isp and power levels line up - even down to the description of using a vortex for plasma containment.

SUMMARY AND DISCUSSION
The MET thruster has now been run in a compact 100 W form at 7.5 GHz , 1 kW at 2.45
GHz, and at 50 kW using 915 MHz microwaves. Microwaves can be generated
efficiently (> 90% at 915 MHz) and beamed for long distances coherently. On a
spacecraft, the microwaves can be received on an antenna and fed directly into the thrust
chamber without any intermediate conditioning. This suggests the MET thruster is highly

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #88 on: 10/06/2020 08:31 pm »
[CNBC] Space company Momentus looks to go public through a SPAC with near $1 billion valuation
KEY POINTS

Space transportation company Momentus is in final talks to go public through an acquisition by Stable Road Capital, a person familiar with the discussions told CNBC, which would value the company at near $1 billion.

The company would go public through Stable Road’s special purpose acquisition vehicle that it raised for $172.5 million for in November 2019.

Momentus offers a “last mile delivery” service for spacecraft, with a transfer vehicle that helps deliver satellites from a rocket to a specific orbit.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #89 on: 10/06/2020 10:30 pm »
[CNBC] Space company Momentus looks to go public through a SPAC with near $1 billion valuation
KEY POINTS

Space transportation company Momentus is in final talks to go public through an acquisition by Stable Road Capital, a person familiar with the discussions told CNBC, which would value the company at near $1 billion.

The company would go public through Stable Road’s special purpose acquisition vehicle that it raised for $172.5 million for in November 2019.

Momentus offers a “last mile delivery” service for spacecraft, with a transfer vehicle that helps deliver satellites from a rocket to a specific orbit.

Well, such a moment(o)us occasion...

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1681
« Reply #90 on: 10/07/2020 12:54 am »
KEY POINTS

That's an incredible valuation.

~Jon
« Last Edit: 10/07/2020 01:15 am by jongoff »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #91 on: 10/07/2020 01:09 am »
KEY POINTS

That's an impressive valuation.

~Jon

Seems high to me, but most valuations seem high to me.

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1681
« Reply #92 on: 10/07/2020 01:17 am »
KEY POINTS

That's an impressive valuation.

~Jon

Seems high to me, but most valuations seem high to me.

Yeah. I know what you mean. Even rock solid firms like SpaceX seem way overvalued these days. No knock to Momentus if they're able to honestly convince people they're worth that much.

~Jon

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #93 on: 10/07/2020 01:24 am »
Momentus seems like a cool company, I hope they do well.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #94 on: 10/07/2020 01:54 am »
If you think about it, Momentus is basically the equivalent of a smallsat launcher company, except it has a lot smaller headcount. $1B is a pretty standard valuation for a smallsat launcher company, for example RocketLab also has a $1B valuation back in 2018.

Offline starbase

• Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 93
« Last Edit: 10/20/2020 09:31 am by starbase »
bit.ly/SpaceLaunchCalendar ☆ bit.ly/SpaceEventCalendar

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #96 on: 10/20/2020 09:53 am »
I think Momentus are onto good thing with there water powered OTVs and will profitable. But have big doubts about $1B value of company.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #97 on: 10/20/2020 02:49 pm »
Momentus is part of Lockheed's demo flight for the NASA Tipping Point contrac.  The demonstration payload will be mounted on a Vigoride:
https://www.lockheedmartin.com/content/lockheed-martin/en-us/news/features/2020/cryogenic-nasa-moon.html

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #98 on: 01/05/2021 02:12 am »
Momentus Announces Move of Vigoride from January 2021 Mission; Will be Remanifesting to a Subsequent Launch

January 04, 2021 – Santa Clara, CA - Momentus Inc. (“Momentus” or the “Company”), a commercial space company providing in-space infrastructure services announced today that it will be remanifesting its January 2021 mission to a subsequent launch opportunity in 2021. This move will allow for the additional time necessary to secure FAA approval of Momentus’ payloads, including completion of a standard interagency review. Momentus currently holds all other necessary licenses for its Vigoride vehicle.

The Company has booked several additional launches with SpaceX between June and December of 2021.

The Company reaffirms its expectation of 2021 revenue as detailed in its December 2020 investor presentation in conjunction with a previously announced merger agreement with Stable Road Acquisition Corp. (NASDAQ: SRAC), a special purpose acquisition company, that would result in Momentus becoming a publicly listed company.

Dr. Fred Kennedy, President of Momentus, stated, “We will continue to work with the FAA, as we have done successfully with other regulatory agencies, to obtain approval in a timely manner. We anticipate that by launching our first Vigoride vehicle on a subsequent mission, we will still achieve our revenue expectations for 2021 while delivering our customers’ payloads to orbit. Our ongoing rideshare agreement with SpaceX enhances our ability to offer our customers significantly more affordable access to space.”

“Momentus is a valued resource in our efforts to capitalize on the commercialization of space and participate in the new space economy. We remain committed to Momentus’ value-add transport and service platform,” said Grzegorz Zwolinski, CEO and co-founder of SatRevolution, a customer of Momentus previously scheduled on the January 2021 mission.

The business combination between Momentus and Stable Road Acquisition Corp. remains on target to close in the first quarter of 2021, subject to approval of Stable Road’s and Momentus’ stockholders and other closing conditions, including a registration statement being declared effective by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2021 02:01 pm by gongora »

Offline Ragmar

• Space is the Place
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #99 on: 01/05/2021 11:41 pm »
Why does Momentus need an FAA license?  Aren't they treated as a satellite?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography