Author Topic: Upgraded NASASpaceFlight.com News Site Launch  (Read 82427 times)

Offline bjornl

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 90
Re: Upgraded NASASpaceFlight.com New Site Launch
« Reply #40 on: 12/20/2017 09:09 pm »
Yes! Cleared the cache and it works fine!

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #41 on: 12/20/2017 09:18 pm »

Offline Bynaus

• Scientist, Curator, Writer, Family man
  • Switzerland
    • Final-Frontier.ch
  • Liked: 424
  • Likes Given: 316
« Reply #42 on: 12/20/2017 09:23 pm »
I like it!
More of my thoughts: www.final-frontier.ch (in German)

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #43 on: 12/20/2017 09:34 pm »
Wow. That is so much better and the articles ready so much easier!!

Now, just to change the Copyright Notice at the bottom of the forum from All content © 2005-2015 NASASpaceFlight.com

To 2018 to cover the new year ;D
« Last Edit: 12/20/2017 09:35 pm by DavisSTS »

Offline eric_astro

• USA
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #44 on: 12/20/2017 09:38 pm »
A+

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
« Reply #45 on: 12/20/2017 09:47 pm »
Cleared cache and now text part of the site loads fast with Chrome beta on  my LG V30.. however even on fast WiFi  the images are a still slow.. scrolling down it's taking 10s of seconds for images to load. Don't see that with any other site. Guessing they're very high resolution? Mobile it might be nice to have option for initial images to be smaller.. at least unless clicked on.. help bandwidth  and data usage on both ends. Thanks

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #46 on: 12/20/2017 09:49 pm »
One more thing I just found. Captions are not showing on my phone. I tried tapping the images too, that didn't help.

What's your phone as I just looked at the site in my iphone 6 (Safari) and it showed captions.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Andy DC

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 156
« Reply #47 on: 12/20/2017 10:00 pm »
Yes! Looks amazing on my new monitor. So much content in one place, but very nicely presented. Feels clean and friendly.

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #48 on: 12/21/2017 12:33 am »
One more thing I just found. Captions are not showing on my phone. I tried tapping the images too, that didn't help.

What's your phone as I just looked at the site in my iphone 6 (Safari) and it showed captions.
It appears to be fixed now! I was using a Google Pixel 2 XL on Chrome.

Offline Cherokee43v6

• Garner, NC
  • Liked: 935
  • Likes Given: 236
« Reply #49 on: 12/21/2017 12:48 am »
Gobsmacked!

I don't generally 'graze' the forums, so I had no idea this was in work.  So after checking the site today at lunch while at work my first reaction when I clicked in a little while ago was 'Where the HECK have I landed?'.

As some other's have said, this will take some getting used to, but that is not a bad thing at all.  One thing I do particularly like is the larger images in the articles with captions tying them more closely to what is being said in the article.  Especially when discussed details are now more easily visible.

Keep up the awesome work!
« Last Edit: 12/21/2017 12:49 am by Cherokee43v6 »
"I didn't open the can of worms...
        ...I just pointed at it and laughed a little too loudly."

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1330
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #50 on: 12/21/2017 01:01 am »
Looks Great, but I will miss the old site heheh.

I hope when you upgrade the forum you don't use Disqus. Alot of forum's have switched to that over the years and it's totally awful.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #51 on: 12/21/2017 01:16 am »
Oh my goodness, I just noticed picture captions and that when you click on them they display a full-sized image!

FINALLY!!  ;D

Offline cwr

« Reply #52 on: 12/21/2017 01:32 am »

The new site looks GREAT!
Oh, and it looked pretty good on my smartphone too!
And it did take me a few tries to bring it up on my laptop.

One thing I'm unsure on - what's the purpose of the 'Popular Posts' section?
Is this the top 5 articles in terms of forum posts?

I was scrolling looking for the top posts section and when I found this, I clicked on one of them and was redirected to an article. I scrolled further down and then found it - 'Active Discussions' section.

Kevin

The thing about the placement of active discussions is two fold.

1) Most people enter the news site to read an article (direct link or otherwise). The placement means the active discussions are in the prime position when scrolling down, as opposed to scrolling out of view as soon as you move down the article.

2) Any new people entering the news site (front of house) the first time need to be "exposed" to content, as in the news articles. Putting the forum discussion links right at the top of the fold view means they may never scroll down.

Or something ;)

But yeah, having spent time on the beta site playing around, that worked out best overall.

Hmmm - I guess that my usage of the NSF home page is atypical.
My 2 main uses of the home page is to
a) see if there is a new article - usually I see a ChrisB tweet 1st and view the new article from his embedded URL Plus I also have an RSS feed of the new articles. So this usage is low runner.
b) My main usage of the home page is to refresh it to see the recently active threads and read the ones that I follow. I find this more useful than going through the forums page. Perhaps adding a way to get the active discussions list rather than staying at the bottom of the home page.

So my main uses of the home page are right at the top and right at the bottom and it takes a while to scroll from one end to the other.

Carl

Offline KEdward5

• Dallas, TX
  • Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #53 on: 12/21/2017 02:41 am »
Great work with the design. Everything is amazing. Only pointing out suggestions below to really top it off.

1) The About Us page is missing. Literally the only site contact an e-mail link ([email protected]? Who is that?) at the bottom. Previous site had a list of writers and a better contact list.

2) Yes, priority on the right hand side should be active discussions. The forum is a great part of NSF and the news site and forum are joined at the hip. It makes sense to have it above the page break.

If not, it shouldn't be that ad words placement there. I'd swap active discussions and that adwords in placement. If you really want an ad there, do one for an online NSF store that's been proposed or a paying aerospace company. At least that would match the theme of the site. The adwords ads do not. Just move it down the right.

Otherwise, amazing. :)

Offline Bubbinski

« Reply #54 on: 12/21/2017 03:01 am »
I like the new look, looking forward to seeing the new forum when it comes up. Very clean look, enjoyable to read the new article that went with it (SpaceX 50 launches)
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Beittil

« Reply #55 on: 12/21/2017 08:07 am »
Overall I really like the new design of the front page and news articles, it is much easier on the eyes and it makes for great readability. Personally I dislike the multi-page article setup though, I prefer to be able to just have it all at once, long read style.

But hey, as long as you guys are not starting with these click-bait style 'SEE THE BEST 15 ROCKET EXPLOSIONS OF ALL TIMES!!!!' type of things where you need to click through an addvertisement riddled page for each of them... I'll live with it :P

Another thing I'd really think would be great for the website with the new article template would be the ability to click on the pictures and open a modal with high res versions of them. Thats the one thing that always bothered me in the old layout, so many awesome images, but they are always stuck in their low res small versions :(

Yes I know the high res stuff is often found on the forums, but it would be so much better to be able to see them in a gallery with the news article!

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #56 on: 12/21/2017 09:10 am »
I love the new site! Very clean looking and in keeping with modern "flat" design principles. Will test it later on my 4K TV.

The larger image format will finally mean that Nathan's amazing renders get the screen space they deserve.

Just one request, and I know this has been discussed before, but a "dark theme" would be excellent. YouTube has recently implemented one, and it is so much easier on the eye, especially at night (images attached). As a space site I think a dark theme would work well for us anyway.

Great work! :)
« Last Edit: 12/21/2017 09:18 am by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #57 on: 12/21/2017 10:40 am »
I love the new site! Very clean looking and in keeping with modern "flat" design principles. Will test it later on my 4K TV.

The larger image format will finally mean that Nathan's amazing renders get the screen space they deserve.

Just one request, and I know this has been discussed before, but a "dark theme" would be excellent. YouTube has recently implemented one, and it is so much easier on the eye, especially at night (images attached). As a space site I think a dark theme would work well for us anyway.

Great work! :)

We heard you (all) :-) The dark theme and/or fine tuning the current theme is being evaluated. More news on this probably next week.

Offline Overcast

• Guernsey
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #58 on: 12/21/2017 11:11 am »
Love it so far, but agree that the "Active Discussions" needs to be a lot higher up.  Maybe swap with "Popular posts"

Offline haywoodfloyd

• Veteran
  • Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #59 on: 12/21/2017 12:19 pm »
Great looking new site Chris but you are missing one very useful thing that other sites like Spaceflightnow have.
You need a Launch Schedule button or link at the top of your main page.
I used to hunt around Nasaspaceflight looking for advance notice of future launches to set my schedule but I gave up when I discovered that Spaceflightnow had one.
I prefer to use your web site so if you could add one, it would be helpful and much appreciated.
KBO!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography