Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 2030997 times)

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #660 on: 06/11/2017 08:25 pm »
That and space liners would never fly with an empty flight like that.

Space liners of the future will be navigated by computers rather than by two pilots as in Kubrick's vision.
That's right!

And video payphones.....

I mean video calls, ok.  But they missed the whole phone-in-your- pocket thing..
They missed the computer a few orders of magnitude faster than HAL in your pocket...

Offline rpapo

« Reply #661 on: 06/11/2017 08:25 pm »
I mean video calls, ok.  But they missed the whole phone-in-your- pocket thing..
Star Trek previewed the flip-phone just a year or two earlier.  Now they're passe...
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

« Reply #662 on: 06/11/2017 08:47 pm »
Star Trek previewed the flip-phone just a year or two earlier.  Now they're passe...

We still don't have transporters or warp drives yet. And we haven't yet sent a crewed mission to Jupiter.

Plenty of things left to aspire to.

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #663 on: 06/11/2017 09:46 pm »
Musk said it would be something crazy. If not cheese related, it is likely Pythonesque.

"Nooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Wouldn't that require a crew Dragon capsule? I thought we had ruled out the dragon-on-FH-demo idea because it needs a fairing for qualifying the flight for the AF.

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #664 on: 06/11/2017 09:49 pm »
Yes, but now we've moved on to the TNG-inspired smartphones and tablets based on the P.A.D.D.  Trek has shaped so much of our technological present and continues to do so.

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #665 on: 06/12/2017 01:12 am »
2001 had ipads first

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
« Reply #666 on: 06/12/2017 03:09 am »
actually this one is better

Oh dear.. I had hoped to do something productive today, but now you are *forcing* me to watch this masterpiece again.

The mindboggling thing is, this movie is old. *ancient* even. It is actually 2 months older than I am!
And still it is a more accurate portrayal of spaceflight than any of the modern movies. Gravity, anyone? How about some Interstellar gravity?

The only bit that seems inaccurate is the idea of attempting to walk upright in zero g. Up to this point everyone just flies around and doesn't bother wearing shoes. Maybe ITS can "fix" that by enforcing corridors to walk and inventing "grip shoes" that work as God and Kubrick intended.
That and space liners would never fly with an empty flight like that. They'd have it overbooked ten ways to Sunday with a survival of the fittest scrum in the loading area.
Ooh, I bet networks would pay decent money for footage of a good pre-boarding scrum, especially if some people bought bodyguard partners to increase their chances.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #667 on: 06/12/2017 09:47 am »
Okay, that's 55 seconds that I will never get back....
Isn't that the very definition of of a party thread?
That would be a mighty short party.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline yokem55

« Reply #668 on: 06/13/2017 02:35 am »

Must said it would be something crazy. If not cheese related, it is likely Pythonesque.

"Fetchez le vache!"
Musk said they want to try getting the upper stage back, so no GEO insertion or escape trajectory burns. They could do a GTO or even lunar free return and get the stage back at perigee, depending how long it can last on orbit and whether it can do deep space nav and comms.

They could send an inflatable or other model of a cow - though, how much does a dead cow mass? - on a lunar free return. That way, a cow really would have jumped over the moon. (They might even be able to fit on a (model) cat, a fiddle, a small (model) dog, a dish and a spoon for the sake of completeness.) :)

Is the cow spherical?

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #669 on: 06/13/2017 02:41 am »
Is the cow spherical?

I'm considering.....

Online abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
« Reply #670 on: 06/13/2017 04:30 pm »
Had to pop in, very tired (but happy) after a different kind of party:

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72406
« Reply #671 on: 06/13/2017 06:44 pm »
I really think that people need to take some sort of chill pill about this matter. If the X-37B could not fit, comfortably and with safety margin, inside the Falcon-9's PLF, then this launch would not be happening.

My personal nightmare, arrived at by splicing several recent NSF conversations and my own sleep-deprived imagination:

Calipers, specially crafted in a secret laboratory from ice IX, and secretly in the employ of SPECTRE, stow away inside the payload fairing on the OTV-5 flight...

Then, after achieving orbit, the precision instrument single-calipered-ly seizes control of the X-37B, in an attempt to hold the world hostage for *pinkie finger to lips* ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

:D
« Last Edit: 06/13/2017 06:47 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #672 on: 06/13/2017 11:37 pm »
Saddened that they don't seem to appreciate talking about lunch in the discussion threads? Oh well, time to grab some rocket fuel and hunker down for tonight's attempt at lunch. Sixth times a charm I guess.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline yokem55

« Reply #673 on: 06/14/2017 12:40 am »
Saddened that they don't seem to appreciate talking about lunch in the discussion threads? Oh well, time to grab some rocket fuel and hunker down for tonight's attempt at lunch. Sixth times a charm I guess.
This is strictly a re-lunch thread. If you aren't skiving out to take a personal lunch after a company/employer lunch so you can watch a launch, this thread isn't for you.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #674 on: 06/14/2017 03:41 am »
This is strictly a re-lunch thread. If you aren't skiving out to take a personal lunch after a company/employer lunch so you can watch a launch, this thread isn't for you.

Sometimes I have a serious failure to lunch.  I get piled up with projects, and my lunch window is missed.  Of course I typically will try to catch a launch at lunch, if there is one...
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline yokem55

« Reply #675 on: 06/14/2017 03:46 am »

Sometimes I have a serious failure to lunch.  I get piled up with projects, and my lunch window is missed.  Of course I typically will try to catch a launch at lunch, if there is one...
Yes, I agree. One should generally maintain an even ratio between scrubbed lunches and rapid re-lunches in order to maintain general sanity and continued gainful employment.

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #676 on: 06/15/2017 10:53 am »
"June 15: NICER executes initial pointing control test and detector initial checkout."

It's amazing that they let us put MLRS on the ISS, and ironic that they called it NICER.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #677 on: 06/15/2017 12:47 pm »
Had to pop in, very tired (but happy) after a different kind of party:

Congrats!  8)

As was one of the responses when I got over excited and posted off topic on our Twitter feed...

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/866280162366820352

"GO SPORTS!" ;D

(And we won that game 3-2, so a good day was had by all) :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #678 on: 06/15/2017 02:27 pm »
They missed the computer a few orders of magnitude faster than HAL in your pocket...

Are they though?  We don't really know how many teraflops (or whatever) HAL is capable of.  Is my phone faster by raw speed?  Maybe.  But have you tried having a conversation with Siri?  Computers aren't anywhere close to HAL.

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #679 on: 06/15/2017 07:43 pm »

Are they though?  We don't really know how many teraflops (or whatever) HAL is capable of.  Is my phone faster by raw speed?  Maybe.  But have you tried having a conversation with Siri?  Computers aren't anywhere close to HAL.

They should create a mod for Siri that sounds like HAL.  (*)  < big red eye.

Tags: SpaceX partythread 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography