Author Topic: Academic qualifications  (Read 2228 times)

Offline bfowler

• DARE MIGHTY THINGS
  • London
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 45
Academic qualifications
« on: 09/03/2008 04:23 pm »
Here's another question by this enthusiastic, if sadly clueless computer programmer contemplating a career change at some point in the future.

I notice that there are a very large number of mechanical and space engineers on this forum who are doing some very serious work designing and building a lot of the launchers and craft that fly these days.  This question is more or less directed at them.

In your professional opinion, what kind of academic background, and experience is needed for people in your line of work?  Is a good mechanical engineering bachelors degree sufficient to get your foot in the door in the industry?  Or is it more like hard science, where competition is so fierce, that you need a doctorate just to qualify for a shot at the few available jobs?  For somebody contemplating a career in this area, how would you suggest they go about getting qualified and competitive enough to find work in the industry?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Academic qualifications
« Reply #1 on: 09/03/2008 04:38 pm »
doctorates don't do design work.  They are analysts.  Design is done by mechanical and aerospace engineers with bachelors degrees.  Good school and good grades are how you get it from the entry level.  And there has to be a hiring cycle. 

Offline whitewatcher

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 09/03/2008 04:41 pm »
In my company devision, roughly half of the employees hold a doctor's degree. The others have an academic grade of some kind.

The only people with no degree  are some girls who are doing the basic accounting (and the trainees).

The requirements depend very much on the job. Example: You must have at least 2 years of practical experience in aerospace industry in order to work for ESA.

Currently there are many vacancies, but they only want people with experience.
"One Percent for Space"

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
« Reply #3 on: 09/03/2008 04:46 pm »
I don't think a doctorate is necessary or even desirable if you want to work in the trenches, so to speak.  Nobody wants to pay a Ph.D. to do work that someone cheaper would be capable of doing! ;)  That being said, I'm sure there are many higher level research and design jobs where a Ph.D. is required, and of course it's a must-have for academia, with few exceptions.

I think a masters degree is sort of becoming the new entry level degree, and with competition for jobs becoming ever more fierce, it certainly can't hurt to have one.  Of course, sometimes it's not what you know or what qualifications you have, but who you know!  :)

Offline I14R10

• Mars Terraformer
  • Croatia
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 225
« Reply #4 on: 09/03/2008 05:21 pm »
I've been also wondering, what an electrical engineer do in NASA, what jobs?

Offline synchrotron

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #5 on: 09/03/2008 05:40 pm »
doctorates don't do design work.  They are analysts.  Design is done by mechanical and aerospace engineers with bachelors degrees.  Good school and good grades are how you get it from the entry level.  And there has to be a hiring cycle. 

There are Masters and Doctorates of Engineering.  There is a role for the kinds of skills these folks bring to the table.  The blend of what I consider the top guys in my organization is dominated with M.A.Sc. (Master of Applied Science) with a healthy dose of B.Eng./B.A.Sc. and a smattering of PhDs.

I think the sweet spot for getting into a good team is a Masters in terms of investment in time in education.  But good grades, a bachelors degree, rolled up sleeves, and continuous on-the-job learning can make you indispensable.  Frankly, I think that the the loss of wages and working experience, as well as the tuition spent upfront, spent on a PhD is rarely recouped (I.e., the opportunity costs of an engineering doctorate are not worthwhile unless you are seeking a professorship).

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #6 on: 09/03/2008 06:29 pm »
Two things I can think of:

A doctorate with dirty fingernails is actually probably the best sell.  If you have real world hardware (or software) experience, something outside the lab, outside of proof of concept testing AND doctorate or at least completed coursework that shows you can do the abstract too, that's a very marketable combination.

Also, well-placed sources say the most famous new-space companies are preferring aeroNAUTICAL backgrounds rather than aeroSPACE.  Rationale is that space gold-plates, while the aircraft industry creates safe, high quality products in a commercial but regulated market.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #7 on: 09/03/2008 07:31 pm »
bfowler has a UK address, any ITAR etc problems in hiring?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #8 on: 09/03/2008 07:55 pm »
bfowler has a UK address, any ITAR etc problems in hiring?

green card needed in the US

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography