Author Topic: LIVE: H-IIA GPM (Global Precipitation Measurement) Feb 27, 2014 (1837UTC)  (Read 84743 times)

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50

Offline Fuji

• Japan
  • Liked: 234
  • Likes Given: 14

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8799
  • Likes Given: 7819
NASA | GPM Launch Coverage Promo

Published on Feb 21, 2014
Join NASA as we count down the launch of the Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) mission starting at 12:00 PM EST, Thursday, February 27, 2014.  GPM is a joint mission between NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and it will set a new standard in measuring rain and snow around the world.  As we build up to the launch from Tanegashima Space Center in Japan, our NASA scientists will discuss the satellite's major innovations and the big questions GPM will set out to answer.  Follow along on NASA Television (www.nasa.gov/ntv) and ask your big questions to the experts using #gpm on Twitter.  GPM is scheduled to launch from Tanegashima Space Center at 1:07 PM EST on February 27, 2014.  For more information, visit www.nasa.gov/GPM.

Also, join in on the conversation on Monday, February 24, at 7:00 PM EST in our prelaunch TweetChat. Find us @NASA_Rain and use #gpm to ask your big questions to our project scientists and managers.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

GPM: Greetings from Minamitame!

Published on Feb 23, 2014
This video introduces Minamitame Town, near the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency's Tanegashima Space Center, from where the Global Precipitation Measurement mission's Core Observatory is scheduled to launch on the afternoon of Feb. 27, 2014 (EST).

GPM is a joint venture between NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency. The GPM Core Observatory will link data from a constellation of current and planned satellites to produce next-generation global measurements of rainfall and snowfall from space.

The GPM mission is the first coordinated international satellite network to provide near real-time observations of rain and snow every three hours anywhere on the globe. The GPM Core Observatory anchors this network by providing observations on all types of precipitation. The observatory's data acts as the measuring stick by which partner observations can be combined into a unified data set. The data will be used by scientists to study climate change, freshwater resources, floods and droughts, and hurricane formation and tracking.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Some very nice photos of the area can be found on this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nasahqphoto/sets/72157641344480584/
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
NAVAREA Navigational Warning
NORTH PACIFIC

NO.14-0143       Date:2014/02/23 12 UTC
NORTH PACIFIC, WESTERN PART.
ROCKET, H-2A, LAUNCHING.
IMPACT HOUR 271812Z TO 272038Z FEB,
ALTERNATE 1812Z TO 2038Z DAILY 28 FEB
TO 30 MAR.
IMPACT AREAS BOUNDED BY
A. 30-03N 132-48E 30-27N 132-50E
   30-22N 133-43E 29-58N 133-41E.
B. 28-32N 136-55E 29-24N 137-15E
   28-35N 139-22E 27-43N 139-02E.
C. 18-42N 149-00E 20-05N 150-09E
   15-54N 155-11E 14-31N 154-02E.
CANCEL THIS MSG 302138Z MAR.

Offline Fuji

• Japan
Weekly weather forecast. (Updated everyday)
http://space.jaxa.jp/tnsc/tn-weather/data/weekly.gif

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Looks like the launch window has shifted to 18:37-19:37 UTC (1:37-2:37 pm EDT, 3:37-4:37 am local Friday) based on latest COLA analysis....

http://www.jaxa.jp/press/2014/02/20140226_h2af23_e.html
« Last Edit: 02/26/2014 07:47 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Fuji

• Japan
Rollout will be planed Feb. 27 04:00 UTC.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356

Love seeing the N-1 rocket on display.  The U.S. doesn't have a Long Tank Delta rocket on display anywhere to my knowledge. 

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/26/2014 04:41 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768

Love seeing the N-1 rocket on display.  The U.S. doesn't have a Long Tank Delta rocket on display anywhere to my knowledge. 

- Ed Kyle
is the one on display at VAFB a Delta or am earlier Thor if so what type??

Online catdlr

GPM's Last Stop Before Orbit

Published on Feb 26, 2014
Art Azarbarzin, NASA's Global Precipitation Measurement mission project manager, and Mashahiro Kojima, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency's GPM/DPR project manager, reflect on the long journey the GPM Core Observatory spacecraft has taken to reach its last stop before orbit, the Tanegashima Space Center, Japan, from where the mission's Core Observatory is scheduled to launch on the afternoon of Feb. 27, 2014 (EST).

GPM is a joint venture between NASA and the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency. The GPM Core Observatory will link data from a constellation of current and planned satellites to produce next-generation global measurements of rainfall and snowfall from space.

The GPM mission is the first coordinated international satellite network to provide near real-time observations of rain and snow every three hours anywhere on the globe. The GPM Core Observatory anchors this network by providing observations on all types of precipitation. The observatory's data acts as the measuring stick by which partner observations can be combined into a unified data set. The data will be used by scientists to study climate change, freshwater resources, floods and droughts, and hurricane formation and tracking.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356

- Ed Kyle
is the one on display at VAFB a Delta or am earlier Thor if so what type??
VAFB has a Thor missile (No. 284, I think) in the SLC 10W hangar, and the remains of Thor missile No. 292, which was destroyed in a laser test, in a boneyard.  There are a few other Thors around, but few Deltas.  There is a Thor Able - similar to the first Deltas - at Cape Canaveral and first-generation Thor-Deltas at KSC and Goddard.  Other than that, I'm not aware of any other Deltas.  Any additional discussion belongs in Space History I suppose.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/26/2014 06:29 pm by edkyle99 »

Online catdlr

GPM: Waiting for Launch

Published on Feb 26, 2014
The Global Precipitation Measurement mission's Core Observatory is poised for launch from the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency's Tanegashima Space Center, scheduled for the afternoon of Feb. 27, 2014 (EST).

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Just a heads up that the rocket will roll out in just over an hour from now.  ;)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Not seeing anything yet...

(and I can't stay up any later)

Offline yoichi

• Liked: 678
  • Likes Given: 1
« Last Edit: 02/27/2014 03:23 am by yoichi »

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156
Moved for live coverage.

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1968
  • Likes Given: 1156
H-2A/202 (F23) was it was being transported to the LP1 launch platform.
« Last Edit: 02/27/2014 08:01 am by Satori »

Offline yoichi

• Liked: 678
  • Likes Given: 1
http://h2a.mhi.co.jp/en/mission/countdown/h2a_f23.html

Second Go/No Go Decision -'Go'
February 27, 2014 17:41 JST
Final checks have been made for operational conditions of the launch vehicle, satellites, launch facilities, and tracking and control systems, as well as weather conditions. We now have gotten a go-ahead for loading the propellant, such as liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen, into the launch vehicle. Propellant loading preparations are going to start.

Terminal countdown operation to start
February 27, 2014 17:55 JST
Terminal countdown operation has started. Access will now be restricted within a radius of 400 meters from the launch pad.

« Last Edit: 02/27/2014 08:22 am by yoichi »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography