Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon I Launch III - Build-up Thread  (Read 174105 times)

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
SpaceX Falcon I Launch III - Build-up Thread
« on: 05/21/2008 01:51 pm »
Larry Williams announced this morning that the next SpaceX launch date is June 24th.
« Last Edit: 08/02/2008 06:16 pm by Chris Bergin »
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
Re: SpaceX next launch date
« Reply #1 on: 05/21/2008 02:04 pm »
Alright... Added to my calendar - looking forward to this one - I hope they provide a webcast like the previous launch - please and thank you Mr. Musk... :)
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: SpaceX next launch date
« Reply #2 on: 05/21/2008 02:44 pm »
My birthday :)
DM

Online Chris Bergin

RE: SpaceX Falcon I Launch III - June 24
« Reply #3 on: 05/21/2008 03:07 pm »
Nice scoop Antonio - and thus you get to head up what will be the launch thread for this flight (bound to be a six figure viewed monster if the other SpaceX events are to go by).
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
Re: SpaceX Falcon I Launch III - June 24
« Reply #4 on: 05/21/2008 03:30 pm »
A little about the mission for those who don't know, or are new.

This is the third demonstration launch of the Falcon 1 rocket, which failed on its maiden flight on 24 March 2006 due to a corroded washer causing an engine fire. The second launch on 21 March 2007 also failed to reach orbit, however it did succeed in reaching space, and demonstrating most mission objectives, so the system was declared operational.

This launch was originally scheduled to launch the TacSat-1 satellite, which was cancelled due to the mission being delayed so long that the satellite had become obselete. The payloads that will be launched will be:

• JumpStart-1
  • Two CubeSats
  • Celestis-07 Explorers

JumpStart-1 is one of three missions for the USAF Office of Responsive Space, which will be decided around two weeks before launch. The candidates are; a Plug and Play sattelite bus developed by USAFRL, Trailblazer - a commercially developed MDA satellite bus, or NanoSat-4 and CUSat for STP and Cornell University.

Two CubeSats are being flown for the Malaysian space agency. One of these may, or may not, be DSAT. The other is unclear, but is also for the Malaysian space agency. Celestis-07 is a space burial payload, which includes the remains of Gordon Cooper, as well as other famous people, including actor James Doohan.

Does anyone have any news on the times for the launch window?

• Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
    « Reply #5 on: 05/21/2008 04:20 pm »

Chris Bergin - 21/5/2008 11:07 AM Nice scoop Antonio - and thus you get to head up what will be the launch thread for this flight (bound to be a six figure viewed monster if the other SpaceX events are to go by).

(*SIGH*) Yes... too bad nobody cares about Pegasus launches anymore... boooring... :(

Offline Nate_Trost

• Liked: 47
    • Likes Given: 2
    « Reply #6 on: 05/21/2008 04:28 pm »
    To be fair, if there was live streaming video from a chase plane, I think it would be quite the event.

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 900
    • Likes Given: 71
    « Reply #7 on: 05/21/2008 04:32 pm »
    antonioe - 21/5/2008  10:20 AM

Chris Bergin - 21/5/2008 11:07 AM Nice scoop Antonio - and thus you get to head up what will be the launch thread for this flight (bound to be a six figure viewed monster if the other SpaceX events are to go by).

(*SIGH*) Yes... too bad nobody cares about Pegasus launches anymore... boooring... :(

You might get more interest if Orbital provided a webcast and video/commentary... I for one would  follow such an event...

Back on Topic, SpaceX' coverage to date has been fairly good, I hope they continue to do well in this regard.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
    • Likes Given: 604
    « Reply #8 on: 05/21/2008 04:56 pm »
    antonioe - 21/5/2008  11:20 AM

It doesn't matter whether huge crowds cheer at the sight (or video feed) of a Pegasus launch, or not. That's not the way how sustainable technology is created. Did you see huge crown cheering at new processor, cellphone, jet engine announcement?

Pegasus seems to be economically viable, and that's what really matters. Well done Antonio!

Offline William Barton

• Liked: 8
    « Reply #9 on: 05/21/2008 05:03 pm »
    antonioe - 21/5/2008  12:20 PM

Does Pegasus have an onboard video feed like Falcon 1? I imagine looking backward across the top of the wing during the ascent to orbit would be pretty spectacular!

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
    « Reply #10 on: 05/21/2008 05:05 pm »
    Ahh... yes.. "Panem et circenses"...

Offline josh_simonson

• Veteran
    • Liked: 2
    « Reply #11 on: 05/21/2008 05:30 pm »
    Pegasus' payload is small enough that adding a camera would cut into it significantly.  Pegasus does have more staging events than usual, and a high T/W, which would make a video more interesting than some other rockets.  But the way the camera pod sticks out would also affect it's aerodynamics somewhat.  If they were designing it from the ground up I could see them doing it for data collection to help with FA and troubleshooting, but since the system is already working fine there's probably not much motivation other than PR.  Maybe they'll put one on Taurus II?

Offline Hootz

• Liked: 0
    « Reply #12 on: 05/21/2008 05:56 pm »
    Exciting times in the world of rockets :) What with SpaceX, Bigelow and Armadillo really seeming to turn it on. I for one will be willing that Falcon to orbit......

Offline jabe

• Regular
    • Liked: 179
    • Likes Given: 12
    « Reply #13 on: 05/21/2008 06:04 pm »
    I wonder if Vegas has odds on it being "successful" or not :)

Offline William Barton

• Liked: 8
    « Reply #14 on: 05/21/2008 06:05 pm »
    One likes to imagine a canny businessman knows advertising when he sees it, and may possibly recognize his customer is not the middleman who passes on the money.

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
    • Southern Ontario - Canada
    • Liked: 4
    « Reply #15 on: 05/21/2008 06:07 pm »
    jabe - 21/5/2008  2:04 PM

I wonder if Vegas has odds on it being "successful" or not :)

After the debate that raged after Falcon II, you better make sure you DEFINE the term "successful" prior to launch. :)
    One Percent for Space!!!

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
    « Reply #16 on: 05/21/2008 06:10 pm »

William Barton - 21/5/2008 1:03 PM Does Pegasus have an onboard video feed like Falcon 1? I imagine looking backward across the top of the wing during the ascent to orbit would be pretty spectacular!

I have a pretty spectacular one (for instance, the "purple haze" is clearly seen) dating from flight 4 (Alexis - 1993) but it's 64GB long.  I've contacted Christ Bergin to see it NSF can host it.  I'll let you know.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
      • Space Launch Report
    • Liked: 8566
    • Likes Given: 1356
    « Reply #17 on: 05/21/2008 06:42 pm »
    stockman - 21/5/2008  1:07 PM

After the debate that raged after Falcon II, you better make sure you DEFINE the term "successful" prior to launch. :)

This is really simple.  If the launch vehicle fails to do what it has been designed and built to do, it is a launch vehicle failure.  This includes all problems caused by hardware, software, and human action or inaction.  

A second success/fail criteria can be defined for the mission.  Usually this is defined per agreement between launch provider and customer(s).  

The launch vehicle can fail but still put payloads into orbits that may or may not be considered successful.  Or, as apparently happened during the second Falcon flight, the launch vehicle can fail and not even reach orbit, but the launch company can still call it a successful *mission* even if, very clearly and without doubt, a launch vehicle failure occurred.

- Ed Kyle

Offline eeergo

« Reply #18 on: 05/21/2008 07:08 pm »
    64 GB??? Wow, that's some serious video...

If NSF can host it, the next problem will be where to save it myself! A shorter/worse quality one would be just fantastic ;)
    -DaviD-

Offline Crispy

• London
    • Liked: 783
    • Likes Given: 51
    « Reply #19 on: 05/21/2008 07:28 pm »
    that'd be completely uncompressed

Windows Media Encoder, or Quicktime Pro on the mac will be able to squeeze things down to a sensible size

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
    Advertisement Northrop Grumman
    Advertisement
    Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
    Advertisement Brady Kenniston
    Advertisement NextSpaceflight
    Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography