Author Topic: All Space Shuttle Landings  (Read 2617 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8803
  • Likes Given: 7821
All Space Shuttle Landings
« on: 08/07/2022 01:23 pm »
TOUCHDOWN !

All the Space Shuttle landings from 1977 to 2011 in multiscreen format and mixed audio from each landing

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 967
Re: All Space Shuttle Landings
« Reply #1 on: 08/07/2022 08:38 pm »
Awesome video, but.....

I wish he had included Eddy Tower clearing STS-2 to land.   ;D

I've never found the whole sequence he describes in his oral history and in many other stories, but you can hear a small snippet @ 1:48:54 below

Quote from:  Joe Engle
But the landing, when we did get back overhead Edwards and lined up on the runway, as I mentioned before, I think one of the greatest feelings that I’ve had in the space program since I got here, was rolling out on final and seeing the dry lakebed out there, because I’d spent so much time out there, and I dearly love Edwards and the people out there.

In fact, I recall when Dick and I spent numerous weekends practicing landings at Edwards, I would go down to the flight line and talk with guys that I didn’t know at the time, because I’d been gone a while, but I knew their predecessors and people on the maintenance line, and go up to the flight control tower and talk with the people up there, and we would laugh and joke with them. I remember the tower operator said, “Well, give me a call on final. I’ll clear you.” Of course, that was not a normal thing to do, because we were talking with the CapCom here at a Houston throughout the flight. But I rolled out on final, and it was just kind of an instinctive thing. I called and I said, “Eddy Tower, it’s Columbia rolling out on high final. I’ll call the gear on the flare.”

And he popped right back and just very professional voice, said, “Roger, Columbia, you’re cleared number one. Call your gear.” [Laughs]

It caused some folks in Mission Control to ask, “Who was that? What was that other chatter on the channel?” Because nobody else is supposed to be on. But to me it was really a neat thing, really a gratifying thing, and the guys in the tower, Edwards folks, just really loved it, to be part of it.
https://historycollection.jsc.nasa.gov/JSCHistoryPortal/history/oral_histories/EngleJH/EngleJH_6-3-04.htm
« Last Edit: 08/07/2022 08:49 pm by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8803
  • Likes Given: 7821
Re: All Space Shuttle Landings
« Reply #2 on: 08/08/2022 11:04 am »
My post complements another I post some time ago about all launches

Every NASA Space Shuttle Launch - Two Videos

« Last Edit: 08/08/2022 12:03 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography