Author Topic: Orbital: Cygnus General Discussion Thread  (Read 93931 times)

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Re: Orbital: Cygnus General Discussion Thread
« Reply #140 on: 11/27/2017 04:41 pm »
Bit of a Bump...

ISS Daily Summary Report – 11/22/2017

TangoLab-1 Transfer to Cygnus (OA-8):  The crew removed TangoLab-1 from EXPRESS Rack 4, and transferred the facility to Cygnus for a short demonstration of TangoLab-1 operations in Cygnus. This is being performed as a proof of the “extended lab” concept, wherein visiting vehicles can be used as an extension of the ISS laboratory volume while attached.  TangoLab-1 is a reconfigurable general research facility designed for microgravity research and development and pilot manufacturing aboard the International Space Station (ISS).

Is NASA planing for Cygnus to stay berthed to the station for longer periods in the future?
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #141 on: 01/03/2018 02:05 am »
Is the Orbital/ATK CRS-1 contract running through OA-12 now?

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #142 on: 01/03/2018 02:22 am »
Bit of a Bump...

TangoLab-1 Transfer to Cygnus (OA-8):  The crew removed TangoLab-1 from EXPRESS Rack 4, and transferred the facility to Cygnus for a short demonstration of TangoLab-1 operations in Cygnus. This is being performed as a proof of the “extended lab” concept, wherein visiting vehicles can be used as an extension of the ISS laboratory volume while attached.  TangoLab-1 is a reconfigurable general research facility designed for microgravity research and development and pilot manufacturing aboard the International Space Station (ISS).

Is NASA planing for Cygnus to stay berthed to the station for longer periods in the future?

I don't think so, just bringing up experiments in Cygnus, doing them there (Or bringing experiments from the station into Cygnus), probably only for very short experiments.

I guess it could stay berthed to the station longer, 2 months sounds safe, but I think that since most of Cygnus is used for bringing up consumables, long-term experiments for the station itself and possibly large items (like space suits or backup hardware), there wouldn't be much room left for in-Cygnus experiments.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they did made part of Dragon or the HTVs into mini labs, maybe even Dream Chaser in the future!

We will see, though!
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 02:23 am by IanThePineapple »

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 575
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #143 on: 01/03/2018 05:11 am »
Is the Orbital/ATK CRS-1 contract running through OA-12 now?

At the OA-8 launch, Frank DeMauro described OA-12 as the first CRS-2 mission.

Frank DeMauro said that OA's plan is to continue flying Cygnus on Antares, and that they currently have orders out to OA-13.

DeMauro said there are no plans to return to the Atlas 5 for the foreseeable future, as the company completes its original Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract and starts a follow-on award called CRS-2. “Our baseline plan is to continue to fly Cygnus on Antares,” he said. “We are ready to respond to our customer’s needs, if they should require something different, but for all of the rest of CRS-1 and so far for the CRS-2 missions we’re planning to do them on Antares.”

After this launch, Orbital ATK has three missions remaining on its CRS contract, OA-9, 10 and 11. No firm launch dates have been set, but DeMauro said OA-9 could launch as soon as the first quarter of 2018. OA-10 would then likely follow in the fall of 2018 and OA-11 in early 2019. DeMauro said later that NASA has ordered two Cygnus missions so far under its CRS-2 contract, OA-12 and 13.

http://spacenews.com/orbital-atk-looks-to-antares-to-handle-cargo-resupply-missions/

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #144 on: 02/25/2019 02:30 pm »
Bit of a Bump...

I don't think so, just bringing up experiments in Cygnus, doing them there (Or bringing experiments from the station into Cygnus), probably only for very short experiments.

I guess it could stay berthed to the station longer, 2 months sounds safe, but I think that since most of Cygnus is used for bringing up consumables, long-term experiments for the station itself and possibly large items (like space suits or backup hardware), there wouldn't be much room left for in-Cygnus experiments.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they did made part of Dragon or the HTVs into mini labs, maybe even Dream Chaser in the future!

We will see, though!
The latest NG11 Cygnus will have gyros added for attitude control which save lot fuel and allow for extended missions of upto year in orbit. Plan is to do more extended missions after leaving ISS, even return to ISS to offload experiments before final deorbit burn.

There is small startup that would like to use Cygnus as space tug allowing upcoming small LVs to deliver cargo to ISS, without dealing with safety issues of approaching and docking with ISS.
Cygnus would rendezvous with small cargo pod and deliver it to ISS. Dispose could be handled by Cygnus or cargo pod deorbits itself.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8582
  • Likes Given: 7675
« Reply #145 on: 03/06/2019 01:28 am »
Northrop Grumman's Cygnus Spacecraft - Cislunar Space Habitation

Northrop Grumman
Published on Mar 5, 2019

Northrop Grumman's vision for the next step toward human space missions to Mars employs our flight-proven Cygnus advanced maneuvering spacecraft as a human habitat in cislunar space, the region between the Moon and Earth. In the early 2020s, we would launch the initial habitat on NASA’s SLS rocket. Featuring a modular design, the habitat would serve both as a destination for crewed missions and as an unmanned testbed to prove-out the technologies needed for long-duration human space missions. The habitat is also envisioned as a base for lunar missions by international partners or commercial ventures. With additional habitation and propulsion modules, the habitat could be outfitted for a Mars Pathfinder mission.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
« Reply #146 on: 03/29/2019 11:54 pm »
0236-EX-CN-2019   
University of Texas El Paso Orbital Factory 2

Orbital Factory 2 (OF-2) is a 1U CubeSat. The primary payload is an experiment to test repair in
orbit using additive manufacturing. Secondary payloads are an experimental S-band patch antenna,
software methods for attitude control using magnetorquers and external camera to capture Earth
images.

OF-2 will be launched in October 2019 from Wallops, VA into a 400 km Low Earth Orbit, onboard
an Antares launch vehicle to the International Space Station (ISS), as part of a Cygnus resupply
mission. Approximately 3 months after arrival at ISS, OF-2 will be deployed by the astronauts
through the ISS Japanese Experiment Module (JEM) airlock. A ground station in El Paso will
receive downlinked data, and provide command and control.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography