Author Topic: Northrop Grumman making good progress toward OmegA’s first launch  (Read 4217 times)

Offline jadebenn

• Professional Lurker
  • Orbiting the Mun
  • Liked: 1219
  • Likes Given: 3534
Those service platforms confuse me. Are they part of the MLP structure normally? Or are they just added and removed while in the VAB?
« Last Edit: 04/04/2020 08:10 pm by jadebenn »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
Those service platforms confuse me. Are they part of the MLP structure normally? Or are they just added and removed while in the VAB?
The 2 graphics are not identical so we really don't know how they will be mounted on the LUT. In the pad graphic they are all on one side of the LUT. In the VAB graphic they are mounted on three sides of the LUT with the main halves on swing arms and the center plug either retracting into the LUT, being raised or craned out. The graphics are not high fidelity to truely know the final design of the umbilical and service arms except for the basic LUT itself which is identical. The STS hardware is either removed or abandoned in place inside VAB HB-2.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2020 09:06 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline TrevorMonty

Omega supports upto 8xGEM SRBs. US design looks similar Deltas DSS with large LH tank at top, uses hydrazine RCS.

Omega really deserves a bit more love, if it wasn't for Vulcan, New Glenn and SpaceX SS stealing all lime light, forum community would be lot more interested. Looks like four new large LVs will launch in 2021, Omega, Vulcan, Ariane6 and NG, any one of which would be exciting event but four in one year.

NB Ariane6 is meant to launch in 2020 but Corona is likely to cause it to slip.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
Omega supports upto 8xGEM SRBs. US design looks similar Deltas DSS with large LH tank at top, uses hydrazine RCS.

Omega really deserves a bit more love, if it wasn't for Vulcan, New Glenn and SpaceX SS stealing all lime light, forum community would be lot more interested. Looks like four new large LVs will launch in 2021, Omega, Vulcan, Ariane6 and NG, any one of which would be exciting event but four in one year.

NB Ariane6 is meant to launch in 2020 but Corona is likely to cause it to slip.

Already confirmed that A6 is NET early 2021 given Galieo switching back to Soyuz-STB due to A6 delays from the global shutdown fora NET December 15th launch..

Offline High Bay 4

• Chicago
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 85
The article states that NG will be utilizing Firing Room 4 for launch operations.  Isn’t #4 currently being used by SpaceX?  Can it accommodate 2 different launch providers using 2 different pads?  Not an exclusive lease I assume?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
The article states that NG will be utilizing Firing Room 4 for launch operations.  Isn’t #4 currently being used by SpaceX?  Can it accommodate 2 different launch providers using 2 different pads?  Not an exclusive lease I assume?
FR4 I seem to recall was split up to handle five customers.

Offline The Vorlon

• Southeast Massachusetts
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
I love the rendering, however, if there is outgassing from the second stage on the pad, I'm running for the horizon.....

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography