Author Topic: Minotaur IV / HTV-2a - 22 April 2010  (Read 72315 times)

Online Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 365
  • Likes Given: 246
Re: Minotaur IV / HTV-2a - 22 April 2010
« Reply #20 on: 04/21/2010 05:59 pm »
Uh oh... Mystery... :)

After mentionning Thursday before, now I read this :
" 4/20/2010 - VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif.  -- The launch of a Minotaur IV spacelift booster is delayed due to forecasted weather.

The rocket was set to launch from Space Launch Complex-8 on south base Tuesday, April 20, 2010. The launch has been rescheduled with a time frame of noon-6 p.m. Wednesday, April 21, 2010. "

Reload the page ?

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3540
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #21 on: 04/21/2010 06:00 pm »
Reload the page ?

Thursday for me.

Online Bean Kenobi

• Liked: 365
  • Likes Given: 246
« Reply #22 on: 04/21/2010 06:04 pm »
OK, you got it : seems to be a problem by my side, sorry for disturbing. Wait and see...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #23 on: 04/22/2010 01:29 pm »
Re-alinging William's article for the latest attempt. We'll need to keep an eye on the above link in case of another delay.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #24 on: 04/22/2010 05:20 pm »
Still no word on any webcast?

And the coincidence with X-37B launch is more than enough to freak the nuts, it's semi-freaking ME....   ;->

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #25 on: 04/22/2010 05:23 pm »
No sign of a webcast from what we can see, Jim.

Maybe somone in California wants to take a trip over and feed a webcam into a LiveFeed hosting program? :)
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline craigcocca

• Launches: STS-129, 131; Landings: STS-125, 128
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 48
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: 04/22/2010 05:28 pm »
Do you guys have one of those LiveFeed backpacks with the six EVDO cards in it for doing Flash Media Encoding and uplink from anywhere?  If so, I think I can find someone out here to be your launch cameraman :  )
-- Craig

"Why don't you fix your little problem and light this candle..."

Offline craigcocca

• Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #27 on: 04/22/2010 05:30 pm »
So we don't know the exact launch time? Usually VAFB tightens up the launch window a little bit for launches like these when we get closer to the launch.  Seems like the NOTAMS restrictions for a six hour launch window would be semi-ridiculous...

--Craig
-- Craig

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #28 on: 04/22/2010 05:35 pm »
So we don't know the exact launch time? Usually VAFB tightens up the launch window a little bit for launches like these when we get closer to the launch.  Seems like the NOTAMS restrictions for a six hour launch window would be semi-ridiculous...

--Craig

That is the window. It doesn't have to reach a specific orbit (or any orbit for that matter), so it isn't dependant on the position of the Earth, Sun and other spacecraft relative to the target orbital plane at the time of launch. Minuteman tests also have long windows.

Offline craigcocca

• Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #29 on: 04/22/2010 05:43 pm »

--Craig

That is the window. It doesn't have to reach a specific orbit (or any orbit for that matter), so it isn't dependant on the position of the Earth, Sun and other spacecraft relative to the target orbital plane at the time of launch. Minuteman tests also have long windows.

Right, I'm with you on the lack of need to reach a specific orbital plane.  I'm just surprised that they didn't tighten up the window more than they did given the effect that it has on the range during daylight hours.
-- Craig

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #30 on: 04/22/2010 05:45 pm »

--Craig

Right, I'm with you on the lack of need to reach a specific orbital plane.  I'm just surprised that they didn't tighten up the window more than they did given the effect that it has on the range during daylight hours.

A longer window gives them a better chance of resolving problems, or waiting for weather to improve.

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 898
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #31 on: 04/22/2010 05:47 pm »

--Craig

Makes it a lot  harder for someone with
backpacks with the six EVDO cards in it for doing Flash Media Encoding
to set up off-base somewhere... amongst other undesired watchers...

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7773
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #32 on: 04/22/2010 06:00 pm »
Having been to Vandenberg, unless you're on base, the closest you're going to get is to the south.  And it's possible that they have evacuated some of the southern beach areas depending upon launch safety concerns (although I doubt it).  Viewing from the east isn't all that great.

So unless you're right there, the best you're going to get is a smoke trail.

Offline jimvela

• Liked: 898
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #33 on: 04/22/2010 06:05 pm »
Having been to Vandenberg, unless you're on base, the closest you're going to get is to the south.  And it's possible that they have evacuated some of the southern beach areas depending upon launch safety concerns (although I doubt it).  Viewing from the east isn't all that great.

So unless you're right there, the best you're going to get is a smoke trail.

I've managed to find places to see launches of vehicles I worked on, when I wasn't on base for the launch... But yes, you are at long range.

Hopefully I'll be there watching one I supported take its ride in July...

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #34 on: 04/22/2010 08:18 pm »
Nothing on the VAFB site about a launch yet.

Offline billmeco

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #35 on: 04/22/2010 09:16 pm »
There targeting the end of window 4pm (local) after working a problem with the HTV.

Offline billmeco

« Reply #36 on: 04/22/2010 09:19 pm »
They powered down Minotaur and are doing a recycle to T-70. Which should pickup in about 30 minutes. Very cloudy here but no word on weather.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #37 on: 04/22/2010 09:26 pm »
Thanks Bill!

Offline billmeco

« Reply #38 on: 04/22/2010 09:44 pm »
Minotaur is Green, HTV is Green, weather is Amber? (What ever that means) Weather downrange is Green. Picking up count in about 5 minutes for a 4:00pm local launch.

Offline MikeMi.

• Gd, Poland
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #39 on: 04/22/2010 09:44 pm »
Appreciate any info so great thanks Bill!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography