Author Topic: Stoke Space Technologies: General Company and Development Updates and Discussions  (Read 194015 times)

Offline Elmar Moelzer

• Liked: 849
  • Likes Given: 1062
IIRC, Gary was planning to use a plug nozzle for his Phoenix, at least at some point. So this idea has some heritage.
Hope it works out for them. I like the design!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Definitely does feel Gary Hudson-ish.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Elmar Moelzer

Definitely does feel Gary Hudson-ish.
Heck you take the upper stage by itself you have something that looks and works very much like Phoenix, except for the payload layout and the lack of toroidal tanks.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9328
  • Likes Given: 39
It's a gamble, but when you're so far behind, I guess you may as well try taking a shortcut.
It's a long-cut rather than a short-cut. A short-cut is getting your rocket flying payloads to orbit, then working on getting some or all of that rocket back whilst you are getting paid. Going from zero orbital rockets to a fully reusable orbital stack in one go was too much gradatim for even Blue Origin!

Offline Elmar Moelzer

You know, I don't really care about what route they are taking. I want to see them succeed more than most. Ambitious and potentially very scalable concept with some real innovations to it (well compared to many of the other small sat launchers that are popping up everywhere right now). I like that. It is not a "met too", but a "me better" sort of thing.

Offline TrevorMonty

The 2nd stage has similar shape to Dragon. Recovery shouldn't be issue, but how much it costs to refurbish especially heatshield between missions.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 593
Mentioning that the LV is built to 'spend more time on mission flight' and
'fly direct to final orbit' and the mention of GH on the white board makes it look like they plan some sort of ACES upper stage, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: 12/18/2021 06:19 pm by dror »
Space is hard immensely complex and high risk !

I take a rather positive view of Stoke because, considering we would normally think of a company founded so recently as being very far behind, they have quite a lot of hardware. A mock-up of their upper stage, even just a wooden one, and early prototypes of the upper stage engine, is really nothing to sneeze at a for a company that's only been around a year.
Wait, ∆V? This site will accept the ∆ symbol? How many times have I written out the word "delta" for no reason?

Offline Seer

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
Does Stoke's rocket have a return payload capability? I'm thinking you could put a small crew cabin where the payload normally goes. The only potential problem is this would result in the center of gravity being shifted up from the base of the rocket.

Does anybody have more details on the rocket? Like what is the mass of the rocket stages etc?

Offline Daniels30

• Liked: 295
  • Likes Given: 177
Hello again world. We’re 18-months out of seed funding and it’s time for an update on our rocket progress:

✔️  Thrust chambers designed & tested
✔️  Ox turbopump designed & tested
✔️  Fuel turbopump designed & tested
✔️  One badass hydrolox facility designed & built

https://twitter.com/stoke_space/status/1549510229649305600?s=21
“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go to light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” -
Tom Mueller, SpaceX Co founder and Propulsion CTO.

Offline J-B

• France
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 54

Offline Cheapchips

• UK
  • Liked: 861
  • Likes Given: 1931
Wonder close they are to a first test fire?

https://twitter.com/stoke_space/status/1554485386235088897?t=vZpoIDYk4NZ2xzk4pFIE9w&s=19

Chilling and spinning!!! Working on getting this orchestra to play together before adding the 🔥🔥🔥

« Last Edit: 08/02/2022 06:09 pm by Cheapchips »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932
twitter.com/stoke_space/status/1562193444487188481

Conducting spin tests and working out some kinks. But check it out... Our 2nd stage is breathing!

https://twitter.com/stoke_space/status/1562193628335730691

Also, liquid hydrogen is really cold. That “waterfall” in the middle? That’s liquid air.🥶🥶🥶

Offline TrevorMonty

The Dec21 posts had them targeting $250kg launch cost on 1650kg RLV. Think they are way to optimistic. If they can do $5000-10000 should have chance of competing.

The better market to go after with reuseable 2nd stage is downmass. This can be cargo from spacestations or just on it own where experiments or 0g manufacturing is done in 2nd stage over few weeks. Could easily charge $20m a flight not have any competition.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
https://twitter.com/JoelSercel/status/1563168808793018370

Not my place to say what it is, but STOKE has the most advanced rocket technology in the world but it is based on sound engineering. A full generation beyond Starship and vastly better.  I am very positive about STOKE.

Offline Daniels30

• Liked: 295
  • Likes Given: 177
5 chambers, 1 set of pumps, first fire. We’ll be spending the next few weeks ramping up power.🔥
https://twitter.com/stoke_space/status/1567236608394657792
“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go to light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” -
Tom Mueller, SpaceX Co founder and Propulsion CTO.

Offline TrevorMonty

5 chambers, 1 set of pumps, first fire. We’ll be spending the next few weeks ramping up power.
https://twitter.com/stoke_space/status/1567236608394657792
Looks lot like a aerospike. Tim Dodd aka Everyday Astronaut will be pleased.

Offline Elmar Moelzer

Looks great!
Hope they can pull everything off that they are attempting to do.

Offline Tywin

Does somebody know what propellant is used in the first stage?
The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Does somebody know what propellant is used in the first stage?

Well given that the upper stage is hydrolox, and the relative size of the first stage compared to the second stage, I would be shocked beyond measure if the first stage isn't also hydrolox.

« Last Edit: 09/10/2022 06:48 pm by JEF_300 »
Wait, ∆V? This site will accept the ∆ symbol? How many times have I written out the word "delta" for no reason?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography