Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread  (Read 737488 times)

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: Space Ship Two - Updates
« Reply #320 on: 11/11/2010 02:31 pm »
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is building a 68,000 sq/ft production facility @ Mojave, due for completion by Sept. 2011.  Looks to employ 170 & build 3 more WK2's & 5 more SS2's.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2010/11/space-tourism.html
« Last Edit: 11/11/2010 02:38 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Davidgojr

• Lead & Producer PROJECT SOAR
  • Texas
  • Liked: 113
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #321 on: 11/18/2010 03:35 am »
Glide Test #3 went off today:

Flight:    WK2 Flight 45 / GF03
Date:    17 Nov 10    Flight Time:    2 hr / 11 min, 39 sec
WK2 Pilot:    Stucky    WK2 CoPilot:    Alsbury    WK2 FTE:    Morgan
SS2 Pilot:    Siebold    SS2 CoPilot:    Nichols
GS Crew:    Binnie, Persall, Knupp, Inks, Bassett, Y. Fuchs, Maisler, Verderame, Zeitlin

Objectives:
Clean release
Evaluate stability and control
Stall expansion
Expand flutter envelope
Aft CG expansion with water ballast tank
Pilot proficiency

Results:
All objectives achieved. Flew to a more aggressive stall indication. Expanded envelope to 246 KEAS and 3.5 g's.

One step closer to powered flights!

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #322 on: 11/18/2010 08:44 pm »
WK2 had some rudder control problems on the first flight, along with vibration on landing, due to one of the wheels. 

It was interesting that they built the crafts without any wind tunnel testing.  They showed people from Scaled making small modles of SS2 and throwing them off the roof.

Yeap. Those lateral stability issues were entirely due the lack of actual wind tunnel testing. They were caused by oscillatory mode from the main gear's wake that was below the accuracy of the CFD models, but sufficient to nearly crash the airplane. Even a simple low-speed wind tunnel test would have shown it, though, as wind tunnels are inherently infinite-order resolution (to the accuracy of the model and the Reynolds number). Rutan's stubbornness about wind tunnels very nearly lead to the loss of WK2.

CFD is great and fast for broad-scale aerodynamic characterization, but for precise work, a wind tunnel is still actually cheaper...

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #323 on: 11/20/2010 12:21 am »
CFD is great and fast for broad-scale aerodynamic characterization, but for precise work, a wind tunnel is still actually cheaper...

Please tell Virgin Racing that.. They are going to continue not to test their F1 car in a wind tunnel for next year....

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #324 on: 11/20/2010 03:50 am »

Please tell Virgin Racing that.. They are going to continue not to test their F1 car in a wind tunnel for next year....
That's probably the perfect application for CFD-only, because the code and flow are already very well characterized and understood.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline zaitcev

• mee.nu:zaitcev:space
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #325 on: 11/21/2010 02:25 pm »

Weren't Virgin dead last in initial testing? Nick Wirth ate a fat CFD crow. Of course as season progresses, one takes the actual results into account (still, Virgin finished dead last).

Also, remember Jeff Greason's public conversion to the wind tunnel religion? I think that experience was way more relevant here.

-- Pete

Offline Chandonn

• Extreme Veteran
  • "Pudding!!! UNLIMITED Rice Pudding!!!"
  • Lexington, Ky
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #326 on: 11/21/2010 04:29 pm »
We're getting off-topic here, guys

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #328 on: 11/23/2010 05:04 am »
Weren't Virgin dead last in initial testing? Nick Wirth ate a fat CFD crow. Of course as season progresses, one takes the actual results into account (still, Virgin finished dead last).

Yeap... (Should mention that my father has designed several F1 wind tunnels... :) )
« Last Edit: 11/23/2010 05:09 am by simonbp »

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #329 on: 11/23/2010 12:42 pm »
An update:
http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/virgin-galactic-spaceshiptwo-update-101118.html

I think we can pretty safely say now that we'll be in space in 2011.

Sounds like they'll beat XCOR to 100 km, although I suspect XCOR may be doing powered flights to 60+ km first.

Offline Space Junkie

• IL, USA
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #330 on: 12/14/2010 07:07 pm »
The Spaceship Company (TSC) is building a 68,000 sq/ft production facility @ Mojave, due for completion by Sept. 2011.  Looks to employ 170 & build 3 more WK2's & 5 more SS2's.

Is this accurate? My impression had been that Virgin's total order
was for 3 WK2's and 5 SS2's. The article implies 3 and 5 more
WK2's and SS2's respectively.

Offline beancounter

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #331 on: 12/17/2010 12:20 am »

I wouldn't be surprised if this is for more than simply the U.S. requirements.  Virgin want to take this enterprise to other countries so it makes sense to have the manufacturing capacity to do that up front.
Beancounter from DownUnder

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #332 on: 12/17/2010 12:50 am »
And because Scaled is owned by Northrop Grumman, and NG is the airframe contractor for Orbital's spaceplane, I'd bet on fab work and drop tests (WK2?)  being done @ Mojave. Gonna need more room if that's the case....
« Last Edit: 12/17/2010 12:53 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Space Junkie

• IL, USA
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #333 on: 12/17/2010 05:14 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if this is for more than simply the U.S. requirements.  Virgin want to take this enterprise to other countries so it makes sense to have the manufacturing capacity to do that up front.

So how many of each craft has Virgin firmly ordered? Was it 3 WK2 and 5 SS2 or 4 WK2 and 6 SS2? I'm just confused by the wording of the article.

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 784
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #334 on: 12/17/2010 06:48 pm »
So how many of each craft has Virgin firmly ordered? Was it 3 WK2 and 5 SS2 or 4 WK2 and 6 SS2? I'm just confused by the wording of the article.

I think it just means that Virgin have ordered 3 WK2 and 5 SS2 and Scaled are using 1 WK2 and 1 SS2 for testing/development which will not be delivered to Virgin.

Offline Celebrimbor

• Regular
  • Bystander
  • Brinsworth Space Centre, UK
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #336 on: 01/14/2011 08:43 am »
Fourth glide flight has occurred!
http://www.scaled.com/projects/proteus.html

Flight: 47 / GF04 
Date: 13 Jan 11  Flight Time: 11 min, 34 sec 
SS2 Pilot: Stucky SS2 CoPilot: Nichols
GS Crew: Binnie, Kalogiannis, Verderame, Maisler, Persall, Bassett, Zeitlin, Reid, Tighe, Inks

Objectives:
Clean release
Evaluate stability and control
Stall expansion
Continued flutter envelope expansion
Aft CG expansion with water ballast tank
Window heater evaluation
Pilot proficiency

Results:
All objectives achieved. Stall at aft CG. Evaluated flutter modifications to 250 KEAS. Envelope expanded to 3.8 g's. As part of the test objectives, the SS2 pilots vented water ballast just before coming in to land, which produced a visible contrail.

Online jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #337 on: 01/23/2011 05:37 pm »
Interesting comment posted on hobbyspace.com
George whitesides mentions that VG should do commercial flights by end of year...interesting..I'm assuming rocket engine is almost completed if that is true..I wonder why the secrecy if its true...
jb
« Last Edit: 01/23/2011 05:44 pm by jabe »

Offline kraisee

• Expert
  • Liked: 807
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #338 on: 01/23/2011 05:56 pm »
That's because, when VG have previously stated a date, and the inevitable slips occurred as they always do in this business, the press tore into them for "missing milestones".

So this time, they are just being smart about it.   They're not setting a public date.   And they are keeping their timings deliberately 'fluffy', so that if they do have a few months of delays, it doesn't create anything like the same bad press.

Once bitten, twice shy.

It also takes a lot of "go fever" pressure off the technical team too.   They will still get things right as quickly as possible, and they will only fly when the systems are really ready to fly.   There won't be any arbitrary "you must have it done by XYZ date" pressure, and so the teams can focus on getting the job done right first time.

I think its an excellent -- and highly professional -- way for them to proceed.

Ross.
« Last Edit: 01/23/2011 06:01 pm by kraisee »
"The meek shall inherit the Earth -- the rest of us will go to the stars"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Offline zaarin

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #339 on: 02/08/2011 04:00 pm »
Also the brains behind SS2, Burt Rutan is retiring in a couple of months:

http://www.scaled.com/images/uploads/news/Burt_Rutan_Announces_Retirement_Plans_03Nov10.pdf

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography