Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread  (Read 1201589 times)

Offline Quialiss

• Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 29
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 CRS-3 Splashdown Video Repair Task Thread
« Reply #1560 on: 06/11/2014 08:06 pm »
Going to clean up i frame 13, and comparing to frame 12... that moment when you realize that the whole bottom of the frame is off by one.   ???  Somehow that slipped by me despite already having cleaned up the DC values on the frame before. 

Whoops.  :D  Fixed now. 

edit... I have no idea where that gif came from, that's something completely different   ;D  It is an example of what we could do for post processing, filling in data gaps with good data from adjacent frames. 
« Last Edit: 06/11/2014 08:54 pm by Quialiss »

Online Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637
« Reply #1561 on: 06/11/2014 08:16 pm »
I just corrected most of part 3 (frames 47-60). I won't be able to do anything more until Sunday or Monday, going for a small holiday trip :)

So on my side frames 42-46 remain to be checked, as well as ~10 p-frames in part 4. I-frames 241 and 281 could also have smoother colors.

Otherwise it's maybe time to generate the full series of images forming the video (in jpg so it does not take too much space) and ask people to comment them (say where something looks wrong), so we can check again those frames.

Done. It's 13 MB.

http://adama.nocdirect.com/~wronkiew/spx_crs3/landing_base_set_jpg.zip

Wow! I just unzipped the file and used Windows Photo Viewer to view the sequence with the arrow keys.
You really can see a lot of detail and like some misalignments. It is incredibly easy to spot them this way..
Also perfect to try to figure out what it is we actually are seeing. :)
Really cool!!

Online Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637
« Reply #1562 on: 06/11/2014 08:29 pm »
Small find, but maybe helps alignment a bit:
frames 219-220 have some strange movement vector, as dirtspot #3 is on the move in these two p-frames

edit: obviously the dirtspot should not move... ;)

edit2: is it me, or is the whole rocket body a few pixels (whole mb) off to the right in frame 221, compared to other frames?
« Last Edit: 06/11/2014 08:34 pm by Jakusb »

Offline Lourens

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 206
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #1563 on: 06/11/2014 08:55 pm »
I've been playing with the error analysis a bit and I have a few mildly interesting new ways to visualise the bitflips.

<snip>

The second is that I've made a series of images representing the bitflips. Each pixel represents a bit, and each image line represents 56 bytes of the data file. A black pixel means there's no error, a red pixel means a transmission error set a bit to 1 when it should be 0, and a green pixel means a transmission error cleared a bit to 0 when it should be 1.

Great work Princess! And very interesting result too, wish I had some time to play with it. Hopefully on the weekend. For now, I'd like to point out that the "no error" black pixels are actually "no difference" bits. Where they are part of the TS packets, VOP headers or the padding, i.e. the parts that you and the others fixed, we know that they're "no error", but inside the frames we don't know if they're right or wrong. Would it be possible to distinguish these two? Maybe make the known "no error" bits blue, and leave the "not corrected" bits black?

That would also make it easier to calculate the flipping statistics over only the bits where we actually know that they're right or wrong, and skip the ones where we don't know yet, removing some noise and perhaps making any patterns stand out more clearly. For that matter, adding the category (e.g. correct, set, cleared, unknown) to the CSV would be useful for further processing as well.

Offline saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #1564 on: 06/11/2014 09:32 pm »
frames 219-220 have some strange movement vector, as dirtspot #3 is on the move in these two p-frames

I think this is nigh impossible to fix, mvs can do all kinds of wonky things even if data is well aligned as you can see on the legs.

edit2: is it me, or is the whole rocket body a few pixels (whole mb) off to the right in frame 221, compared to other frames?

Looks like you're right. Good catch.

edit: Looks like Quialiss already fixed it :)
« Last Edit: 06/11/2014 09:53 pm by saliva_sweet »

Offline Quialiss

« Reply #1565 on: 06/11/2014 10:33 pm »

I think this is nigh impossible to fix, mvs can do all kinds of wonky things even if data is well aligned as you can see on the legs.

These are still worth noting, depending on the frame they may be fixable and are worth a second look.  Hrrrmmm... Calling spreadsheet makers, could we have a different, editable version of the 'all frames' spreadsheet for review purposes?

Three columns:  frame number, the cumulative frame at full size, not the isolated one, and 'notes.'  Should be an ideal setup for people to flip through and make note of what frames could use attention, as it'll stay up to date with all the fixes. 

Looks like you're right. Good catch.

edit: Looks like Quialiss already fixed it :)

Today is I frame fixing day.   ;D  3 down, 2 more to go. 

Offline Adaptation

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #1566 on: 06/12/2014 02:05 am »
I'm not sure where you get the 128 bit figure from - these images are just visualisations of the raw bitstream where 1 pixel corresponds to 1 bit. The triple flips we're finding are a pattern within a 16 bit range, and there appears to be no obvious alignment to them.

Sorry I was half asleep while writing that, I think I though each pixle was a byte. 

The idea I think from cscots about having too many errors for forward error correction to handle does sound more plausible.

Offline Quialiss

« Reply #1567 on: 06/12/2014 04:05 am »
Good news, the frame should be substantially easier to fix this time around.

Bad news, a chunk of the top of 261 is off by several blocks, screwing up arnezami's hard work on it.  Some of of the corrections for the bottom of the frame may still be valid, I haven't tried yet. 

If anyone would care to take a stab at pulling a few more macroblocks from the discarded data in gaps in frame, now's the perfect time. 

New alignment, notably 33:04:15183, which lines up the wavefront on the right side of the frame. 

0:0:-1,30:0:2617,33:0:-2,38:0:3236,27:1:-2,29:1:5452,35:2:-2,33:4:15183,28:5:17845:64:0:0:0:0:0,39:8:-2,12:9:29306

Offline Sohl

• Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 451
« Reply #1568 on: 06/12/2014 01:02 pm »

Sure, instances of failed FEC could plausibly do this.  Too bad someone at SpaceX has not been able to help specify any kind of FEC methods used in the RF link.

I'm not sure it's strictly necessary: I think the discovery of the consistent triple flip pattern is the bit that's relevant to us.  I don't think we really need to waste brain cycles reverse engineering it further when the effect is so clear.

Yes, I agree and had considered saying as much in that last post I made... if the pattern is consistent enough, it can be recognized and reversed, no matter the real cause.  But I imagine that there could be additional effects that could be predicted if more details of the FEC (if used?) and other transmission details were available.

Nonetheless, the ad-hoc group here has done incredible things already just based on what can be seen in the files.  Keep up the great work!

Edit: slight wording change.
« Last Edit: 06/12/2014 04:45 pm by Sohl »

So.. After going back and forth and trying to work out a way to get a list of 15 people who will receive SpaceX goodies, it has come to this, a vote!

It sucks to have to whittle it down to 15, but this is the situation we find ourselves in.

Everyone who wishes to vote should send me a PM on the forums with an ordered list of people (forum usernames please if possible) who they think deserve to get goodies. It doesn't need to be 15 long (the longer the better, so long as it is ordered) because I will collate the results of each list and pick the top 15. Also you can't vote for yourself =) Here is a list of names that has already been put forward in various places, you don't need to pick from this list, it's just here as a guide, if there is someone else you think is deserving then feel free to add them.

Adaptation
ajmartin
arnezami
dorkmo
gospacex
grythumn
jakusb
Jared (http://www.reddit.com/user/sharebrained)
John_L
lgjy98d (myroslav)
Lourens
mhenderson
michaelni
Mlindner
moralec
morningdew76
mvpel
princess
Quialiss
Saliva_Sweet
seanpg71
Shanuson
SwissCheese
theshadow27
Turix
Untribium
wronkiew

I couldn't find these names in the forum (I think they originated from the Wiki, if you know who these people are on the forum, PM me)
Asmegin
dgdpg
Exclavion
Gnonthgol
lewing
Noslyl
pshrpd
tentonine
Turix

If there is anyone who would not like to be on the list for whatever reason then drop me a PM and I will take that into account when adding up the numbers, also don't include me in your lists as I was lucky enough to receive something already (which I feel quite guilty about if I'm honest)

Polls close on Sunday so vote now! I will then publish the anonymised results and ask the lucky 15 to PM me their gender (I'm not going to guess), shirt size, and delivery address. Something to bear in mind, assuming that everyone gets something similar to what I did (I hope this is the case), the package will NOT fit through a letter box (not even close ;)) so make sure the delivery address is somewhere where the package can be taken and signed for.
« Last Edit: 06/12/2014 09:58 pm by IainCole »

Offline maximlevitsky

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 103
« Reply #1570 on: 06/12/2014 06:35 pm »
Since the launch did slip by 'few days' (as expected  ;) ), do you think the next landing will be at day time?
(unless it slips again by few months, but that isn't funny anymore  :( )

Offline starsilk

• Denver
  • Liked: 268
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #1571 on: 06/12/2014 08:19 pm »
So.. After going back and forth and trying to work out a way to get a list of 15 people who will receive SpaceX goodies, it has come to this, a vote!

It sucks to have to whittle it down to 15, but this is the situation we find ourselves in.

seriously?

just send them the full list. I'm sure they can afford 15 extra T-shirts.

seriously?

just send them the full list. I'm sure they can afford 15 extra T-shirts.

They aren't sending out single t-shirts

Offline mhenderson

• USA
  • Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1573 on: 06/12/2014 09:02 pm »
Adaptation
ajmartin
arnezami
dorkmo
gospacex
grythumn
jakusb
Jared (http://www.reddit.com/user/sharebrained)
John_L
lgjy98d (myroslav)
Lourens
mhenderson
michaelni
Mlindner
moralec
morningdew76
mvpel
princess
Quialiss
Saliva_Sweet
seanpg71
Shanuson
Swatch
SwissCheese
theshadow27
Turix
Untribium
wronkiew

Doh. I was dismayed that IainCole was not on the list. Then I realized he compiled the list.

Seriously, do you really want us to exclude you from our rankings?

Offline moralec

I'm including him anyway ahaha

Yes please don't include me, I explain why in the post ;)
« Last Edit: 06/12/2014 09:13 pm by IainCole »

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
« Reply #1576 on: 06/12/2014 09:38 pm »

You'll be interested in the Condorcet Method.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline jcat

• United States
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1577 on: 06/12/2014 10:54 pm »
Hey, guys,

I'm a Long Time Lurker, haven't posted since Armadillo Aerospace was first taking off.  I have been following this thread with delight and amazement, and wanted to show/compare just how much you all have done.  so I set this up:

Cheers! Keep up the awesome work!
« Last Edit: 06/12/2014 11:46 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #1578 on: 06/12/2014 11:31 pm »
Welcome to the forum! Awesome side-by-side video.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online Chris Bergin

Hey, guys,

I'm a Long Time Lurker, haven't posted since Armadillo Aerospace was first taking off.  I have been following this thread with delight and amazement, and wanted to show/compare just how much you all have done.  so I set this up:

Cheers! Keep up the awesome work!

That's superb! Getting that tweeted out! ;D

Welcome to the site's forum and thanks for making the effort with that!
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography