Author Topic: Navid-e Elm-o Sanat Safir launch February 3, 2012  (Read 39961 times)

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Navid-e Elm-o Sanat Safir launch February 3, 2012
« Reply #40 on: 02/04/2012 12:08 am »
Ground stations located on the map of Iran , I assume that some of them are stationary and some of them are mobile . 

Again, very interesting. Certainly subject for further research.

I'm interested in the sites near Tabriz and Meshad because there's been a lot going on around Tabriz and I keep wondering if Iran has repurposed the Shah-era CIA TACKSMAN 2 site (37.2957 N , 58.9152 E) outside of Meshad.
"I can’t tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
Re: Iranian Space
« Reply #41 on: 02/04/2012 01:21 am »
I have finally got around to running the orbital data from Space-Track through my own software and come up with the following data.

Using both objects A and B, catalogue numbers 38075 and 38076 respectively, the estimated launch time comes out as being 00:02 UT on February 3rd.   From the reported launch time of 05:34 local time and allowing for the difference in time zones I think that this will correspond to an actual launch time of 00:04 UT, especially since the only orbital data are for more than 19 hours after the launch (these are element sets 5, so will Space-Track please issue sets 1-4?).   The later after launch the TLEs are the more inaccurate the launch estimate using my own software.

The orbital parameters for the two objects are as follows (assuming a spherical Earth, radius 6,378 km):

38075      56.02 deg incl    91.03 min orbital period     276-374 km altitude

38076       56.03 deg incl   90.95 min orbital period     274-368 km altitude

The above data are in line with Jonathan McDowell's posting on Facebook yesterday evening.

Is this the satellite that is supposed to have an in-orbit manoeuvre capability?
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline Nahavandi

• Liked: 1
« Reply #42 on: 02/04/2012 02:32 am »
Is this the satellite that is supposed to have an in-orbit manoeuvre capability?

No it does not have a propulsion system , the Fajr satellite however does :

http://allthingsnuclear.org/post/6887772290/future-iranian-satellite-launches

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #43 on: 02/04/2012 02:57 am »
No it does not have a propulsion system , the Fajr satellite however does :
http://allthingsnuclear.org/post/6887772290/future-iranian-satellite-launches

Thank you for the clarification.

Offline InvalidAttitude

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #44 on: 02/04/2012 08:09 am »
http://isna.ir/ISNA/NewsView.aspx?ID=News-1942287&Lang=P

Apparently they needed to save some weight:

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #45 on: 02/04/2012 09:13 am »
We can finally track it on n2yo:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=38075

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #46 on: 02/04/2012 09:32 am »
We can finally track it on n2yo:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=38075

I guess it's also on Heavens Above.   I download the two-lines each day and use Orbitron on my laptop.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #47 on: 02/04/2012 12:04 pm »
Concerning the reports of an enlarged upper stage: I have compared photographs of the recent launch vehicle, the one which launched Rasad and the earlier one, which was on public display around the time of the Omid launch. Apparently, they have all the same dimensions.

A visible difference of the vehicle on display was, that the two protrusions on the upper end of stage 1 are smaller than on the later vehicles.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #48 on: 02/04/2012 02:31 pm »
According to the Israelis, apparently the camera lens on the satellite is a stock 8-24 mm lens from a Sony digital camera....

Spysat? If this thing's a spysat, then the Iranians should sell them across the globe for universities around the world to spy on the sport teams of the other universities....  ;D
« Last Edit: 02/04/2012 02:31 pm by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #49 on: 02/04/2012 02:45 pm »
According to the Israelis, apparently the camera lens on the satellite is a stock 8-24 mm lens from a Sony digital camera....
Spysat? If this thing's a spysat, then the Iranians should sell them across the globe for universities around the world to spy on the sport teams of the other universities....  ;D

Sadly, Israel hypocritically calls anything launched either by or for an Arab country a "spysat", whether or not it has an imaging system on board.

Israel is scared of the Arab countries gaining the technology which it has used for more than 15 years.   My worry is that Israel might have some form of basic ASAT capability and they might use it against an Arab satellite.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #50 on: 02/04/2012 02:49 pm »
Early this morning I was unaware of this new thread being created, so posted the following to the original Iranian Space threat:

« Reply #302 on: Today at 02:21 AM »

I have finally got around to running the orbital data from Space-Track through my own software and come up with the following data.

Using both objects A and B, catalogue numbers 38075 and 38076 respectively, the estimated launch time comes out as being 00:02 UT on February 3rd.   From the reported launch time of 05:34 local time and allowing for the difference in time zones I think that this will correspond to an actual launch time of 00:04 UT, especially since the only orbital data are for more than 19 hours after the launch (these are element sets 5, so will Space-Track please issue sets 1-4?).   The later after launch the TLEs are the more inaccurate the launch estimate using my own software.

The orbital parameters for the two objects are as follows (assuming a spherical Earth, radius 6,378 km):

38075      56.02 deg incl    91.03 min orbital period     276-374 km altitude

38076       56.03 deg incl   90.95 min orbital period     274-368 km altitude

The above data are in line with Jonathan McDowell's posting on Facebook yesterday evening.

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #51 on: 02/04/2012 03:29 pm »

Iran is very far from developing a spysat , the Navid is a experimental observation satellite made by Iranian university students.

Sadly, Israel hypocritically calls anything launched either by or for an Arab country a "spysat", whether or not it has an imaging system on board.

Israel is scared of the Arab countries gaining the technology which it has used for more than 15 years.   My worry is that Israel might have some form of basic ASAT capability and they might use it against an Arab satellite.

Iran isn't an Arab country , the majority of Iranians are ethnic Persians and Persian is the official language of Iran .

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #52 on: 02/04/2012 03:32 pm »

Iran is very far from developing a spysat , the Navid is a experimental observation satellite made by Iranian university students.

Iran isn't an Arab country , the majority of Iranians are ethnic Persians and Persian is the official language of Iran .

Yup. It's just that it irks me that many Western media sources are trying to add too much features to the little satellite....  ::)
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Mighty-T

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #53 on: 02/04/2012 03:43 pm »
Has anyone a good explanation on the nature of these "pieces" dropping off the vehicle?
Could it be ice coming off a possible LOX-tank on the lower or upper stage, or is it combustion related?
Any ideas?

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
« Reply #54 on: 02/04/2012 03:55 pm »

Yup. It's just that it irks me that many Western media sources are trying to add too much features to the little satellite....  ::)

Sorry for showing my ignorance about Iran vs Arab.   No offence to anyone intended.

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #55 on: 02/04/2012 06:43 pm »

These are early days and things may change, but SatEvo, using the available Space Track TLEs, is predicting Navid will reenter in mid-April. The rule of thumb uncertainty is around two weeks at this point, so "sometime in April" is a reasonable paraphrase.
"I can’t tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Offline sammie

• Veteran
« Reply #56 on: 02/04/2012 07:54 pm »
How closely related to the original Scud missile is the Safir. I know that it's probably derived from the North Korean Nodong, which itself comes from the old Scuds, but is there still some similarity to the Scud (tank diameter, propellant etc.)?
"The dreams ain't broken downhere, they're just walking with a limp"

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #57 on: 02/05/2012 12:58 pm »
A closer look at the optics

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #58 on: 02/05/2012 01:04 pm »
An interesting article from 2011 , right after the launch of Rasad-1:

The head of Iran’s space agency acknowledged Sunday that the cameras aboard Iran’s past and planned satellites are too poor to give useful images, but said the country is now working on a satellite to be completed in four years that will produce useful images.

The government has boasted of the images sent to earth by the Rasad (Observer) microsatellite that was orbited June 15. But while the regime has spoken of the pictures, it has not released any of them to the public.

On Sunday, Hamid Fazeli did not boast of the photos from outer space. In fact, he said even the Amir Kabir, Navid and Zafar that Iran is planning to orbit in the next few years have cameras that take pictures of very low resolution and limited utility.

But he said the space agency is now working on a new satellite called Pars-2 with a camera that will have a resolution of five meters, meaning it can pick out objects that are five meters or 16 feet across.

Iran has not described the resolution of the camera on board the Rasad, which is still orbiting the earth. But it has given the resolution of another camera being prepared for orbiting. And that camera will provide photos only 1/800th as good as satellite photos that are available commercially.

A few months ago, Hossain Bolandi showed off the Navid satellite he is working on. It weighs 50 kilos, triple the size of the just-launched Rasad. Bolandi said the camera on the Navid would be able to see objects more than 400 meters across or the size of four football fields.

But commercial satellites like the GeoEye1 that are currently in service show objects only 50 centimeters (20 inches) across and US spy satellites are understood to discern objects as small as 1 centimeter (a half inch) in size.

Fazeli’s statement that the Pars-2 in four years will see objects five meters across will still mean that commercial imagery will be 10 times better than what the Islamic Republic is aiming for.

http://www.iran-times.com/english/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2218:space-program-admits-cameras-on-satellites-dim-&catid=100:whats-right&Itemid=425

Offline Nahavandi

« Reply #59 on: 02/06/2012 03:20 pm »
Is Navid's cots camera comparable to that of  Unisat-4 ?

The UniSat-4 microsatellite hosts two CCD-based programmable cameras. The CCD sensor contains 640 x 480 pixels. The JPEG compression algorithm is used with the compression factor selectable by ground command. The two cameras have different optics and resolution. In this way, UniSat-4 is able to take pictures of the Earth's surface in the northern hemisphere.

One camera is provided with optics of 2.5 mm focal length, providing a FOV (Field of View) of 84.6º and a resolution of about 0.8 km/pixel. The second camera is equipped with optics of 6 mm focal length (36.8º FOV) providing a 0.3 km/pixel resolution. The FOVs of the two cameras are overlapping to take imagery of the same target area with different resolutions.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography