Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 4  (Read 665287 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Thread 4 for SpaceX's development of a Boca Chica launch site.

Thread 1:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28585.0

Thread 2:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31544.0

Thread 3:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35425.0

Only several million views for the three threads, so not much interest! ;) Great work by all concerned, not least those local - such as Nomadd and others. Remember to keep the posts on the topic of this thread.

For reference here are links to the Cameron County online real estate database

http://www.cameroncad.org/cadclientdb/propertymap.aspx
http://propaccess.cameroncad.org/clientdb/?cid=1
« Last Edit: 09/14/2016 04:03 pm by Lar »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
Here's the latest property map, small and large.

This is a map I've created using public information from the Cameron County online real estate database.
« Last Edit: 08/27/2016 06:45 pm by Dave G »

Offline Dave G

Recap of current construction status:

1) There's a huge mound of surcharge layer soil in the North-West area of the Launch Site.  They'll need to wait a few months for the wick-drains they installed previously to do their job.  They've also installed a tall fence around the Launch Site.

2) The Control Center Area is also fenced in with a temporary building on it, but not much else.

3) The current construction activity is related to an antenna dish that will be used to track Dragon-2 launches from the Cape next year.  They're currently installing 2 foot diameter reinforced concrete pilings 50 feet deep.  For the commercial crew contract, NASA is requiring that one antenna is installed in a location away from the Cape by the end of the year.

Many thanks to Nomadd and bocachicagirl for giving us on-site updates with pictures.
« Last Edit: 08/27/2016 07:10 pm by Dave G »

Offline IainMcClatchie

• San Francisco Bay Area
  • Liked: 279
  • Likes Given: 411
How is an antenna in Texas going to be used to track launches from Cape Canaveral that head out over the Atlantic Ocean?

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
It is going to track the Dragon when it is in orbit

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
 Frank is emptying out the big house on LBJ today in preparation for sale. As soon as Chris Bergin sends me about 400 grand, I'll be happy to buy it for NSF headquarters.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
It wouldn't be a one time cost.  Taxes and insurance would be recurring in addition to maintenance and utilities.
But of course.

I do think we need a new thread... here it is

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41027

Most posts were moved.
« Last Edit: 08/28/2016 07:53 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Here's the latest property map, small and large.

This is a map I've created using public information from the Cameron County online real estate database.

Dave G-  I don't know that it's worth it to add another element to track, but would it be possible to outline the area where the soil work is currently ongoing?  As we don't have access to engineering maps, we probably couldn't get an exact footprint, but just a general one of what's where would be awesome.

Thank you for your continuing excellent work in keeping this great map updated! 
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  They bought in a 90 ton crane. As much as those suckers cost to lease, it should have something to pick up fairly soon.
 The pilings seem to be going down in a 4 x 5 rectangle about 96' x 60' so far
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Dave G

would it be possible to outline the area where the soil work is currently ongoing?

« Last Edit: 08/31/2016 11:33 am by Dave G »

Online Herb Schaltegger

They bought in a 90 ton crane. As much as those suckers cost to lease, it should have something to pick up fairly soon.

So query - did the construction super rent the crane for its lifting capacity or boom length?
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 4
« Reply #11 on: 08/30/2016 01:32 am »

So query - did the construction super rent the crane for its lifting capacity or boom length?
I have no idea where this photo came from. It just appeared on my camera card out of nowhere.
 It seems like those pilings are going to need to cure for a while, so the crane might just be for unloading.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2016 01:34 am by Nomadd »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #12 on: 08/30/2016 01:36 am »
 They've also started pushing dirt around about 350' east of the hill but it was too dark to get a photo today.
 (Google put that "SpaceX Space Launch Facility" tag there. It just happens to be exactly where the new work is)
 There are a bunch of +/- 16' rolls of some tough black material laying around. It could be to line another organics hill. It seems like they put the first pile right where the causeway has to go, so they might have to move that in addition to making a spot for new stuff.

This has nothing to do with spaceflight, but I've lost touch with most of my coworkers from then, so I'm putting it here. 4 1/2 months of my life were spent on a job a while back. I'm dedicating a beer to everybody who worked Katrina 11 years ago.  Maybe two beers.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2016 05:37 am by Nomadd »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #13 on: 08/30/2016 03:08 pm »
 The crane is just working on pilings. The little one might have been hitting it's limits.
 Six dump trucks were in line at the pad site. I was on a dune right about where the actual pad will be for the photos of the new work and the surveyors. The circle in the surveyors photo is my bedroom window. I couldn't have gotten luckier with the viewing angle.
 I hadn't thought about it, but they might need to build the launch pad before the causeway, so this new work at the pad site might be a staging area for pad construction.
« Last Edit: 08/31/2016 09:19 pm by Nomadd »

Offline Dave G

« Reply #14 on: 08/30/2016 05:21 pm »
The crane is just working on pilings. The little one might have been hitting it's limits.
 Six dump truckers were in line at the pad site. I was on a dune right about where the actual pad will be for the photos of the new work and the surveyors. The circle in the surveyors photo is my bedroom window. I couldn't have gotten luckier with the viewing angle.

zoom in and enhance

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
« Reply #15 on: 09/01/2016 12:18 pm »
In my country big construction projects usually have to be notified to the local authorities. They then have to publish the information well in advance of the start of works so the public can complain about anything it would deem contrary to relevant zoning/environmental legislation. Haven't SpaceX or the local authorities had to anything similar? - For such a big project it seems weird to me that there is so little information available to the public.   

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #16 on: 09/01/2016 01:24 pm »
Check elsewhere on this site; quite a lot of detailed information has already been posted, from environmental impact statements on.

But you are correct, there's probably a plan on file somewhere corresponding to each building permit that has been issued, and even more documentation if a special permit or variance for zoning was required.  You typically have to visit city hall and pay some photocopy fees if you're interested at that level; those aren't typically put up on the internet.  Only nomadd here is really in a position to dig for that sort of thing, and frankly, I rather enjoy more his first-hand stories of beers and local wildlife. ;)

(And around here, permits are a "last minute" type of thing: they expire if work isn't begun within 60 days of the issuing of the permit.  So I wouldn't really expect to get more than a 2 month look ahead in the crystal ball by pulling the permit paperwork. The original environment impact statement and zoning work would have the "big picture", but we've already seen those.)
« Last Edit: 09/01/2016 01:25 pm by cscott »

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
« Reply #17 on: 09/01/2016 03:07 pm »
Some idea of the force of the explosion:

Ben Brockert ‏@wikkit 15m15 minutes ago

~10 pieces of debris from the Falcon 9 found in the parking lot of KSC Pad A, "would fit in a shoebox". Lot is 1.8 miles from the F9 pad.

https://twitter.com/wikkit/status/771355370719744000

How far from Boca Chica NSF central headquarters (a.k.a. Nomadd's place) to the pad?
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline manoweb

• Tracer of rays
  • Hayward CA
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #18 on: 09/01/2016 03:10 pm »
Having to go to the "city hall" implies the construction is within city limits. I really hope for SpaceX, that they choose to build in an unincorporated area... less impediments for them, less people they have to justify things to.

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3673
  • Likes Given: 3551
« Reply #19 on: 09/01/2016 03:48 pm »
How far from Boca Chica NSF central headquarters (a.k.a. Nomadd's place) to the pad?
This maps, side by side for a sense of scale, Cape Carnival versus Boca Chica.

If the debris is confirmed at Pad 39A, 3.2 miles away then the eminent domain at Boca Chica may be very likely to occur especially when it comes to launching the FH...

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography