Author Topic: Chang'e-5 - CZ-5 - Wenchang - November 23, 2020 (20:30 UTC)  (Read 200182 times)

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
Re: Chang'e-5 - CZ-5 - Wenchang - November 23, 2020 (20:30 UTC)
« Reply #120 on: 07/11/2017 09:20 pm »
I don't think this is likely.  The young basalts near Mons Rumker are a very important goal for CE5.  The second sample return mission, CE6, is much more likely, in my opinion, to go to a farside site using the CE4 infrastructure.  There is now talk of two polar landings after CE6, in addition.

Any idea *why* there should be such a 'young' volcanic area there?

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1424
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #121 on: 07/11/2017 10:01 pm »
The youngest lava flows, maybe 1.5 billion years old, tend to have sources in the broad region around Aristarchus crater in eastern Oceanus Procellarum, with patchy distribution and flowing in various directions out from that general region.  One source in the Euler region (NW of Copernicus in southern Mare Imbrium) produced flows which ran all the way to the Chang'E 3 landing site.  Other young flows are found south of Aristarchus itself, and these at Rumker probably have a source north of the Aristrachus Plateau.  The concentration here MIGHT be caused by the elevated amounts of radioactive materials associated with KREEP, an unusual material sampled by Apollo and found around that region.  KREEP was sampled, but not the young lava flows.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

(unofficial news) According to the weibo of ChinaSpaceflight, Chang'e 5 might be delayed to 2019.

Note that this is the only source that gives any info on this till now, based on their own sources. While I think it's certainly a plausible plan on the table, I think it's far too early to declare a 1.5+ years delay, especially since we don't know what failed yet.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online luhai167

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #123 on: 07/13/2017 02:41 am »
Ouyang Ziyuan said in his most recent interview where he supposedly said "to the best of my knowledge, there has being no change to CE-5 launch plan (due to the recent CZ-5 failure)." He further said, any test flight will have problems, and our engineers are capable to find and solve these problems.

几天前,长征5号火箭发射失利引发国内外媒体高度关注,因为长征5号年底即将搭载嫦娥5号进行中国无人探月工程的最后一步,一些媒体猜测嫦娥5号发射进程或将受到影响。欧阳自远对此也非常关注,但他说,从他了解的情况看,嫦娥5号发射计划目前没有改变。

“刚刚实验的是长征5号第二次试飞,第二次试飞很遗憾没有进入到预定轨道,我们的工作是难免有这样那样的缺陷,我们一定会从失败当中吸取教训,改进工作,提高质量。”欧阳自远说,任何试飞都会出现一些小问题,但中国航天部门广大的科技人员有实力解决这些问题。

https://kknews.cc/news/pxq439p.html
https://weibo.com/6243310541/Fc4abdBhX?type=comment

The interview is part of a forum-lecture, so hopefully we should see the actual video of exactly what he said once it is scheduled to air.

I wonder if this mean they have root cause the problem and it is not related (or used) in the CE-5 launch.
« Last Edit: 07/13/2017 02:47 am by luhai167 »

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #124 on: 07/13/2017 04:22 am »
Ouyang Ziyuan said in his most recent interview where he supposedly said "to the best of my knowledge, there has being no change to CE-5 launch plan (due to the recent CZ-5 failure)." He further said, any test flight will have problems, and our engineers are capable to find and solve these problems.

几天前,长征5号火箭发射失利引发国内外媒体高度关注,因为长征5号年底即将搭载嫦娥5号进行中国无人探月工程的最后一步,一些媒体猜测嫦娥5号发射进程或将受到影响。欧阳自远对此也非常关注,但他说,从他了解的情况看,嫦娥5号发射计划目前没有改变。

“刚刚实验的是长征5号第二次试飞,第二次试飞很遗憾没有进入到预定轨道,我们的工作是难免有这样那样的缺陷,我们一定会从失败当中吸取教训,改进工作,提高质量。”欧阳自远说,任何试飞都会出现一些小问题,但中国航天部门广大的科技人员有实力解决这些问题。

The interview is part of a forum-lecture, so hopefully we should see the actual video of exactly what he said once it is scheduled to air.

I wonder if this mean they have root cause the problem and it is not related (or used) in the CE-5 launch.
Ouyang Ziyuan is not a really reliable source
He is a layman in rocketry
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Online luhai167

• Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #125 on: 07/13/2017 08:43 am »

True, but at least he is a reliable insider in the program management end. What this means is there is at least no immediate decision to delay the CE5 launch. It does not mean they won't delay it later, but at least for now the schedule is end of this year.

Offline SmallKing

« Reply #126 on: 07/28/2017 11:04 am »
delay to 2019
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Offline method

• antony
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #127 on: 08/11/2017 07:06 pm »
To follow the Chinese space programme in France since the nineties - and particular lunar exploration - Ouyang Ziyuan is far the best person to obtain serious informations of Lunar exploration in China. Its claims are always very acurate since 1999 !... Please, it's a very reliable source. For me it's the more important man in the Moon programme from China Academy of Science in China and when the Party authorize him to speak, you have to analyse each word of the message...

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
« Reply #128 on: 10/10/2017 07:27 pm »
Jeff Foust @jeff_foust
Xiao: no official launch date for Chang’e-5 (delayed by Long March 5 failure); guess need 1-2 successful launches before it. #leag2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/917784304163409920

Jeff Foust @jeff_foust
Xiao: next phase of lunar exploration program will be series of polar missions, including sample return, in early 2020s. #leag2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/917783956115873792
« Last Edit: 10/10/2017 07:32 pm by Star One »

Offline Moon Rabbit

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #129 on: 10/14/2017 09:19 am »
delay to 2019

was the photo taken in July 2017? Looks like a projector screening during a meeting/briefing.
The Mercury Seven - Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, Slayton. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Offline SmallKing

« Reply #130 on: 10/14/2017 01:50 pm »
delay to 2019

was the photo taken in July 2017? Looks like a projector screening during a meeting/briefing.
I think so. And we know the delay was confirmed by later information

Offline Moon Rabbit

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #131 on: 10/14/2017 03:29 pm »
delay to 2019

I think so. And we know the delay was confirmed by later information

Most people agree the launch date for Chang'e 5 will be in 2019. i have been searching for official  confirmation of this date but cannot really find many:-

The best i found was the announcement by Tian Yulong (Sec Gen of CNSA) during a press conference in Adelaide on 25 September 2017.
http://spacenews.com/long-march-5-failure-to-postpone-chinas-lunar-exploration-program/

“The Long March 5 is a bigger challenge for China’s space agency,” he said. “In the future, maybe the end of the year, we will have a clear understanding of the problem.” (paragraph 3)

The next Long March 5 mission was scheduled for this November, carrying Chang’e-5, China’s first lunar sample return mission. That spacecraft will land on the moon, gather samples and return them to Earth in the first such mission to the moon in more than four decades. With the Long March rocket grounded while the investigation continues, Tian confirmed that mission would be delayed. (paragraph 6)

“We plan to adjust the schedule” for that mission, he said, along with Chang’e-4, a lunar lander that will be the first spacecraft to land on the far side of the moon. That mission was scheduled to launch in late 2018, about a year after Chang’e-5. (paragraph 7)

“By the end of the year we will have some detailed information” about the revised schedule for those missions, Tian said. (paragraph 8 )

Long March 5 delays are also expected to push back the launch of Tianhe, the core module of China’s first space station. That launch was expected some time in 2018 but will likely be delayed to 2019. (paragrapgh 9)

Mr Tian confirm the delay of Chang'e 5 and plan to adjust the schedule but actually did not mention new launch date of 2019. Actually there was just mentioned of new launch date for Tianhe in 2019 and not Chang'e 5.

So i was just thinking there could have been more information between July 2017 and September 2017 about the failure of CZ-5 (Y2) and CNSA may be more confident of an earlier date for Chang'e 5 launch. i am hoping we do not have to wait till 2019 for the Moon samples...
The Mercury Seven - Carpenter, Cooper, Glenn, Grissom, Schirra, Shepard, Slayton. “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #132 on: 10/14/2017 03:38 pm »
This launch schedule was showing that Tianhe 1 would be launched in 2019 from around May this year: https://www.chinaspaceflight.com/China-Launch-Schedule.html.   Therefore its delay to 2019 is not connected with the CZ-5 failure: of course its actual launch date will depend on the CZ-5 operations in 2018.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72420
« Reply #133 on: 03/14/2018 05:41 pm »
China’s Long March 5 heavy-lift rocket to fly again around November in crucial test, dated March 14

According to the emerging schedule, a successful launch of the third Long March 5 will see the fourth rocket launch Chang’e-5 to the moon in 2019. The complex mission aims to land in Oceanus Procellarum and collect 2 kilograms of regolith. An ascent vehicle will then perform a robotic lunar orbit rendezvous and docking with the service module and head for earth, with a skip or boost-glide reentry seeing the return capsule set down in Inner Mongolia.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online Galactic Penguin SST

I found a paper(*) regarding the scientific instruments on the past and future Chang'e missions, and mentioned in passing is a list of the science instruments on board - 4 in total. While the main purpose is to collect lunar soil samples, there are still some methods to determine the surrounding area's geographical features:

1. Panoramic camera for surveying the site area
2. Descent camera
3. Lunar mineral spectrometer - determining soil composition of the nearby surface in visual and infrared wavelengths
4. Pulse radar - determining structure and depth of sub-surface soil

Note that the translated instrument names are provisional.

(*) SUN H X, LI H J, ZHANG B M et al. Achievements and prospect of payloads technology in
Chinese lunar and deep space exploration[J]
. Journal of Deep Space Exploration, 2017, 4(6), pp. 495-509 (doi:10.15982/j.issn.2095-7777.2017.06.001)

Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #136 on: 01/31/2019 04:38 am »
China’s space plans for 2019
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEKpdkaAqEQ
"two launches will be operated at Wenchang center, and one more launch at sea"
"launch of the Long March-5 Y3 is scheduled around July"
"Chang'e-5 will be launched at the end of the year"

The lander will be deploying a small Chinese flag once on the surface.
« Last Edit: 01/31/2019 04:38 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7392
  • Likes Given: 72420
« Reply #137 on: 04/25/2019 03:44 pm »
Cross-post of confirmation re: Chang'e-5 launch "by the end of this year":
http://sputniknews.cn/china/201904241028285191
China Plans to Land Human On Moon In Ten Years
<snip>In other news, Chang'e 5 is still on for the end of the year.

Bing translation below.

"China plans to set up a research station on the moon to make a manned moon landing within 10 years, the director of the National Space Administration, Zhang, said in Wednesday.

He confirmed plans to launch the Chang'e fifth probe to the moon by the end of this year to collect samples of the lunar soil and bring it back to Earth. In addition, Zhang also said that Chairman Mao's hometown of Shaoshan will be one of the permanent centres for the preservation of lunar soil samples."
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #138 on: 05/05/2019 08:37 am »
two technical papers on the CE5 sampling system:

Precise monocular vision-based pose measurement system for lunar surface sampling manipulator
http://engine.scichina.com/publisher/scp/journal/SCTS/doi/10.1007/s11431-019-9518-8?slug=abstract

Space manipulator has been playing an increasingly important role in space exploration due to its flexibility and versatility. This paper is to design a vision-based pose measurement system for a four-degree-of-freedom (4-DOF) lunar surface sampling manipulator relying on a monitoring camera and several fiducial markers. The system first employs double plateaus histogram equalization for the markers to improve the robustness to varying noise and illumination. The markers are then accurately extracted in sub-pixel based on template matching and curved surface fitting. Finally, given the camera parameters and 3D reference points, the pose of the manipulator end-effector is solved from the 3D-to-2D point correspondences by combining a plane-based pose estimation method with rigid-body transformation. Experiment results show that the system achieves high-precision positioning and orientation performance. The measurement error is within 3mm in position, and 0.2 deg in orientation, meeting the requirements for space manipulator operations.

Design and test of a sampler for lunar surface regolith (in Chinese)
http://zgkj.cast.cn/EN/abstract/abstract11062.shtml

A sampler carried on the end of the manipulator was designed in view of the sampling task of the lunar surface regolith. Based on the discrete element method, the parameters matching of the simulation particle characteristics was completed by using the data of the miniature three axis compression test data of Scott real lunar regolith. The simulation analysis of the sampling process of the sampler was carried out and the dynamic characteristics of sampler during the working process were obtained. In addition, the performance test system of sampler was set up. The sampling test was carried out for different simulated lunar soil. The test acquired the sampling capacity of the sampler changing with the depth and the lunar soil hardness. And the feasible region of the sampling device's operating parameters was obtained by testing. The sampler can achieve the multiple tasks of transferring encapsulated containers, shoving and excavating. The research work will provide reference and technical support for future lunar sampling missions in China.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932
« Reply #139 on: 07/10/2019 05:44 am »
https://twitter.com/yeqzids/status/1148769273839439872

Here is a PR piece about the Chinese space program that just came out today: news.sina.com.cn/c/2019-07-09/d… (in Chinese). Typical stuff, until the end where it mentions the launch date of the #ChangE5 mission will be "circa 2020".

Tags: Chang'e-5 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography