Author Topic: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site  (Read 331439 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: Wayne Hale sets up his own blog site
« Reply #220 on: 04/18/2012 11:41 pm »
I thought the PAL ramp that came off was far less weight than the Columbia ET piece? And was a good time after on the ascent?

I'm sure I remember the PAL ramp liberation was less mass, and it was later in ascent, but you still wouldn't want that smacking against her RCC, etc. In other words, the bipod ramp foam liberation on 107 probably wasn't at the bottom end of unacceptable.

So many varables. Mass, time of liberation, what the liberation consisted of.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #221 on: 04/18/2012 11:43 pm »
I know it was at JSC, I'm thinking STS-114 FD2 MSB, as opposed to post-MMT. I'd LOVE to see it again.

Awesome man.

I do have these files seemingly from FD2:
mmt_briefing_072705.wmv with Mr. Parsons and Mr. Hale
status_brief_072705.wmv Mr. Engelauf and Mr. Shannon

You wrote your article on July 27th.
The Launch was on July 26th.

Then there is
status_brief_072805.wmv Mr. Hill and Mr. Shannon, and in this one Mr. Hill has different clothes compared to the image in you article.

Do I miss a briefing with Mr. Hill here..

It could be "mmt_briefing_072705.wmv with Mr. Parsons and Mr. Hale" - because Mr Hale turned up after Mr Hill had taken some questions, so maybe Mr Hill was standing in?
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #222 on: 04/18/2012 11:52 pm »

It could be "mmt_briefing_072705.wmv with Mr. Parsons and Mr. Hale" - because Mr Hale turned up after Mr Hill had taken some questions, so maybe Mr Hill was standing in?

Its not that either, that one does not have Mr. Hill at all.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #223 on: 04/18/2012 11:55 pm »
I swear it happened, honest guv'nor! :D

Offline Longhorn John

• Regular
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 130
« Reply #224 on: 04/19/2012 12:01 am »
The apologizing to the MAF people was an interesting part too.

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4046
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #225 on: 04/19/2012 12:01 am »

Its not that either, that one does not have Mr. Hill at all.
I believe the briefing you refer to with Mr. Engelauf and Mr. Shannon was a Mission Status Briefing at the end of Flight Day 1, which may have been 27 July in GMT.  Mr. Hill was the lead flight director (Orbit 1) for STS-114, so his first shift would have been on Flight Day 2.

I have the FD1 MSB (or most of it) handy, but not necessarily FD2 or FD3.

Edit: the FD1 MSB was at 2100 GMT on 26 July.
« Last Edit: 04/19/2012 12:09 am by psloss »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #226 on: 04/19/2012 12:05 am »

Top people. Know a few of them. In fact, on the Katrina reference, I know one of them who lived in an area apparently a lot of them live in, Sidell (spelling) and he completely lost his home. Lived with his parents for two years, caused a lot of personal problems I won't repeat. And then you see the ET mods they worked and the TIMs to get the tank shipping on track to support the manifest (around that period) and you know instantly know what those people are made of right there.

And then you look at how pretty much nothing came off those tanks during the latter missions.....
« Last Edit: 04/19/2012 01:38 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #227 on: 04/19/2012 12:25 am »
I believe the briefing you refer to with Mr. Engelauf and Mr. Shannon was a Mission Status Briefing at the end of Flight Day 1, which may have been 27 July in GMT.  Mr. Hill was the lead flight director (Orbit 1) for STS-114, so his first shift would have been on Flight Day 2.

I have the FD1 MSB (or most of it) handy, but not necessarily FD2 or FD3.

Edit: the FD1 MSB was at 2100 GMT on 26 July.

I believe we have now completely derailed the thread! but, yes you might be correct so I miss the correct FD2 briefing too.

The FD2 briefing is listed on "another space news website with subscription options" and its thumbnail has the correct tie on Mr. Hill!

Furthermore, our very own John44 was posting lots of stuff on his old website back then (according to groups.google.com archive of sci.space.shuttle newsgroup).

I'll PM him.
« Last Edit: 04/19/2012 12:31 am by mtakala24 »

Offline northanger

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #228 on: 04/19/2012 12:50 am »
found this on NASA Technical Reports Server

STS-114: Discovery Mission Status Briefing
July 27, 2005

Paul Hill, STS-114 Lead Shuttle Flight Director and Wayne Hale, Space Shuttle Deputy Program Director is shown during this mission status briefing. Hill talks about the first 24 hours of the Space Shuttle Discovery in orbit. He expresses that he has acquired data from the launch through imagery and hand held photographs of the external tank. Hale answers questions from the news media about how the engineers may be managing this data and if there is an overwhelming amount of data. Live downlink television pictures from the end-effectors camera on the Robotic Arm as it has completed its reberthing of the Orbiter Boom Sensor System (OBSS) are shown.

Offline DDG40

• Slidell LA.
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #229 on: 04/19/2012 01:30 am »

Top people. Know a few of them. In fact, on the Katrina reference, I know one of them who lived in an area apparently a lot of them live in, Sidell (spelling) and he completely lost his home. Lived with his parents for two years, caused a lot of personal problems I won't repeat. And then you see the ET mods they worked and the TIMs to get the tank shipping on track to support the manifest (around that period) and you know instantly know what those people are made of right there.

And then you look at home pretty much nothing came off those tanks during the latter missions.....

Chris it's Slidell we are located about 20 miles north of Maf and about 15 miles west of Stennis.
I read Mr Hale's article. I know he apoligized but I am still bothered that at that time that they were willing to blame the accident on a Maf technician.
I will say that the bipod foam spray in the old configuration not could leave MAF with any repairs what so ever.
 Any out of tolerance or damage condition required a complete return to drawing configuration. Meaning strip it and respray it. Also the bipods were installed at KSC. this is another chance at damaging the foam.
Then you have to mate the shuttle to the bipods, another oppurtinity for possiable damage to the foam.
The tech that sprayed the foam is very close friend of mine and one of the top TPS techs at MAF. I was relevied to find out that I had not done the final shakedown of the bipods on this ET. I hate rehashing this stuff but lets not forget the Orbiter made it to orbit and the foam strike was known.

Just to be clear I am a fan and follwer of Mr. Hale. But to people that lived through this accident it's just a little upsetting.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #230 on: 04/19/2012 02:35 am »
I swear it happened, honest guv'nor! :D

I remember the chewing out too, so I can back that up.

Despite the feelings it brings back, hearing about these little events that might have passed without coming to light is so important. I'm glad this site has so much condensed into one area for reference.

Good or bad, they are all memories we carry.

Offline STS Tony

• Extreme Veteran
  • Los Angeles
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #231 on: 04/19/2012 02:56 am »
Great blog Mr Hale! I feel so much for DDG40, but I won't go into that.

I will also say I have a lot of respect for MAF. Chris has written about 100 articles on that center, I think. Got to admire the workforce.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #232 on: 04/19/2012 03:02 am »
Latest post. Well written.

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/how-we-nearly-lost-discovery/

That's what he tweeted during the Ferry. Thought it would be about the PAL ramp.

And I think we all remember the MMT presser, where Paul Hill ripped that stupid BBC reporter into shreads! :) Was awesome to see that live, felt like I was at a one sided boxing match and you could only cheer him on.

Not very well written as it was in the very early days of the site, but as a reminder:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2005/07/hitman-hill-lays-down-the-law/

And if Mr Hale sees this post, he'll remember that presser as he walked it just as Mr Hill had finished with that BBC guy, put his hand on Mr Hill's shoulder as if to say "I think he's dead, you can stop now" and took over.

Loved it.
Here's the post in question from the STS-114 FD2 MSB: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=219.msg1855#msg1855
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline northanger

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #233 on: 04/19/2012 03:19 am »
Thank you Mr Hale & everybody who serviced and took care of the space shuttles. I think Return To Flight pitched a perfect game and completed the International Space Station.

And for my favorite space shuttle forever, Discovery--

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #234 on: 04/19/2012 03:40 am »
Latest post. Well written.

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/04/18/how-we-nearly-lost-discovery/

That's what he tweeted during the Ferry. Thought it would be about the PAL ramp.

And I think we all remember the MMT presser, where Paul Hill ripped that stupid BBC reporter into shreads! :) Was awesome to see that live, felt like I was at a one sided boxing match and you could only cheer him on.

Not very well written as it was in the very early days of the site, but as a reminder:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2005/07/hitman-hill-lays-down-the-law/

And if Mr Hale sees this post, he'll remember that presser as he walked it just as Mr Hill had finished with that BBC guy, put his hand on Mr Hill's shoulder as if to say "I think he's dead, you can stop now" and took over.

Loved it.
Here's the post in question from the STS-114 FD2 MSB: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=219.msg1855#msg1855

Wow, that takes me back. The site wasn't even six months old (in fact, we've just entered year 8 here. Need to do a thread for that). The forum had about 100 members, we now have over 24,000.

Anyway, we are still on STS-114 here, per Mr Hale's blog, as much as this is going off on a tangent now, so we can drag it back hopefully! :)

Offline Wayne Hale

• Liked: 402
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #235 on: 04/19/2012 04:24 am »
I used this entire situation as a teaching event at the NASA Project Management Challenge Conference in 2007.  You can find the powerpoint charts over on L2 at http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=11379.0

Offline hoku

• Liked: 662
  • Likes Given: 329
« Reply #236 on: 04/23/2012 09:55 pm »
"A conversation with Wayne Hale"

(slightly "off-topic", i.e. not the blog, but it nicely fits the context)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #237 on: 05/17/2012 10:09 pm »
New post from Mr Hale:

http://waynehale.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/jfm-to-the-rescue/

John Muratore with the big mentions.

Offline Malderi

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #238 on: 05/17/2012 10:30 pm »
The two comments already there are... interesting.

Online jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #239 on: 05/17/2012 10:34 pm »
great blog update by Mr Hale.. relevant to Saturdays launch too
jb
edit:@Malderi you are correct about the comments..
« Last Edit: 05/17/2012 10:36 pm by jabe »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography