Author Topic: You Know You're A Space Geek When...  (Read 399617 times)

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 1156
Re: You Know You're A Space Geek When...
« Reply #1160 on: 12/23/2017 09:54 AM »
.....when you see high-resolution photos of the Tesla inside its Falcon Heavy fairing halves and all you look for are signs of recovery hardware on the fairing!

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #1161 on: 12/24/2017 08:01 PM »
..when you fall asleep on the night before the Christmas, and you wake up suddenly with a wide smile on the face, having seen the following dream:

* It turns out that an Energia rocket body is found on shallow waters near Malaysia. Dream didn't tell whether this was from the unsuccessful Polyus flight, or unannounced 2nd flight of a Buran orbiter.
* You get on the mini submersible to inspect it, and gather samples
* You get back to the support ship via an airlock at the bottom of it (one of the James Bond movies had such a arrangement), immediately media present, give polite answers
* You can't wait to get inside the support ship with the crew to report them that there also was remains of a crew compartment and some identifiable remains of flight suits
* Wake up.

.. and best yet, all of the dream was visioned through a heavy late-1960s scifi filter, so dunno if I was actually living it, or watching a bad movie.

Best dream in a long time, from technical point of view. Couldn't get back to sleep for an hour at least, to debunk it all...

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1753
  • Likes Given: 3787
« Reply #1162 on: 12/25/2017 07:42 PM »
...you can relate to having trouble falling back to sleep because you're so excited to debunk the implausible space dream you woke up from last.

And, I don't know about the space part, but the geek part is sure right with anyone who says things like, "Best dream in a long time, from technical point of view.;D 
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Archibald

• Liked: 409
  • Likes Given: 1001
« Reply #1163 on: 12/27/2017 06:07 AM »
(with all respect to Hawaian gods and people)
When you awake and can't get of your head the name of that interstellar object OUMUAMUA if only because it sounds so funny (sounds like a kid weeping and calling his mummy oh mummy)
 So you teach the kid how to pronounce it, got a great laughing moment, and it instantly become an unstoppable train wreck, and the entire thing soon make the wife... nervous.  :o
... that ackward moment when you realize that Jeff Bezos personal fortune is far above NASA annual budget... 115 billion to 18 billion...

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #1164 on: 12/27/2017 10:47 AM »
Come to think of it, my Energia dream could have been sourced from the early Shuttle manned boost stage concepts. I'm only just half way through the 1st part of new Jenkins book.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1782
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #1165 on: 12/27/2017 01:51 PM »
(with all respect to Hawaian gods and people)
When you awake and can't get of your head the name of that interstellar object OUMUAMUA if only because it sounds so funny (sounds like a kid weeping and calling his mummy oh mummy)
 So you teach the kid how to pronounce it, got a great laughing moment, and it instantly become an unstoppable train wreck, and the entire thing soon make the wife... nervous.  :o

I know I am not pronouncing it in my head properly, either.  When I read the name, I am put in mind of a late '50s to early '60s Motown song, with a refrain of "Oooh-Mwah-Mwah" repeated over and over behind the lyric...  :D
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 375
« Reply #1166 on: 12/27/2017 08:14 PM »
When your car radio has a permanent sticker on the display...

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1753
  • Likes Given: 3787
« Reply #1167 on: 12/29/2017 11:45 AM »
...[after vaguely overhearing some people you just met discussing a "new throwback"] you're all set to jump in to a cool discussion of launch pad operations only to be disappointed when you find out they were actually talking about a "retro" sports jersey that one received for Christmas.   :'(
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline deaville

• UK
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1168 on: 12/29/2017 01:42 PM »
You're definitely a space geek when you log into this thread to find out what makes others geekish. 8)
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline Archibald

« Reply #1169 on: 12/30/2017 02:31 PM »
motown song = surfin'bird by the trashmen

1:23 in the video

pa pa pa pa pa pa pa

oumuamua-mua pa pa oumuamua-mua

oumuamua-mua pa pa oumuamua-mua

(rince, repeat)
« Last Edit: 01/03/2018 07:50 PM by Archibald »
... that ackward moment when you realize that Jeff Bezos personal fortune is far above NASA annual budget... 115 billion to 18 billion...

Offline Archibald

« Reply #1170 on: 01/19/2018 02:50 PM »
Honey, I killed Google !  :D

After too much (aerospace related) search requests, the freakkin' search engine think I am a spam bot, and even the captchas stopped working (no kidding: I just can't use google now, and I have no idea how long it will last)

I mean, usually Google ask me to check a couple of captchas and then it is reassured, I'm not a robot.
 But things have gone farther than this: the captchas are locked into a kind of never ending loop. The goddam thing keep asking myself for more and more captchas "click on cars. Click on bridges. " - and I have little patience for the silly thing.

Does anybody ever got that issue ?
« Last Edit: 01/19/2018 02:56 PM by Archibald »

Offline LaunchedIn68

• Deer Park, NY
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #1171 on: 01/19/2018 06:16 PM »
.....there is an ACTUAL LAUNCH to watch today, and you're totally ticked off because it preempted you watching a 12 second STATIC FIRE!  :o >:( ??? ;D
"I want to build a spaceship, go to the moon, salvage all the junk that's up there, bring it back, sell it." - Harry Broderick

Offline Detrevni

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1172 on: 01/22/2018 02:39 PM »
...your toddlers follow any countdown with "liftoff" instead of "blast off". They also intersperse my audible countdowns with nuggets like "Main engine start" and "internal power". Their timing is a bit off, but hey, at 22 months and 3 years old, I can't complain.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1782
  • Likes Given: 3387
« Reply #1173 on: 01/23/2018 04:07 AM »
...your toddlers follow any countdown with "liftoff" instead of "blast off". They also intersperse my audible countdowns with nuggets like "Main engine start" and "internal power". Their timing is a bit off, but hey, at 22 months and 3 years old, I can't complain.

Yep.  In Minneapolis, most of the major pedestrian intersections have walk signals that turn into 10- to 20-second countdowns before changing to Don't Walk.  I always count them down with "10, 9, ignition sequence start.  6,5,4,3,2,1, all engine [sic] running.  Liftoff!  We have a liftoff, 32 minutes past the hour!  Liftoff on Apollo 11.  Tower clear!"

I get funny looks from passersby when I do so, but hey, I'm a space geek, so who cares?  ;)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Archibald

« Reply #1174 on: 01/25/2018 07:07 PM »

My kid, aged 18 months, saw daddy reading an astronomy magazine (Ciel et espace)  and did the same (of course he didn't red it for real ;) ).
Just for the fun of it, I took a picture of him with Ciel et Espace in his tiny hands, tracked down the mail of the magazine director (linked to the Association Franšaise d'Astronomie, who are gentlemen) and send him the picture. I got an imediate, cordial answer thanking myself for getting more young people interested in both reading and astronomy.

For christmas this year he got his first telescope, make no mistake, it is a creepy plastic thing, BUT I checked the magnification (15X ) and found Galileo telescope was no worse than that :)
« Last Edit: 01/25/2018 07:15 PM by Archibald »

Offline MrHollifield

• Charleston, SC USA
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #1175 on: 02/13/2018 04:42 AM »
The PIN to unlock your smart phone is now the NORAD catalog number of the Tesla Roadster driven by Starman.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1118
  • Likes Given: 243
« Reply #1176 on: 02/13/2018 03:04 PM »
The PIN to unlock your smart phone is now the NORAD catalog number of the Tesla Roadster driven by Starman.
So it's the same as my luggage...
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Addemup

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1177 on: 02/14/2018 04:54 PM »
...you attempt to start a space program yourself.

(No, I'm not actually planning on doing this.)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 316
  • Likes Given: 918
« Reply #1178 on: 02/14/2018 06:09 PM »
You are driving down the freeway with the cruise control engaged and there is  a tractor trailer cruising beside you, when you both begin to climb a slight hill.  You hear the trucks turbocharger spool up and you begin to count 15-14-13-12-11-10 and are waiting for the loud "POCK" of the Hydrogen Burnoff Igniters(HBI) 3.4 seconds before the first SSME begins to fire at T-6.6 seconds.

The "turbine/turbo" sound at T-15 through T-13 seconds (09:45-09:47 of this video)- as Sound Supression Water System-water fills the tubes surrounding the SSME opening in the MLP(the rainbirds come into play shortly after), the displacing air makes a "whistling" noise as it escapes the smaller nozzles that sounds like a turbocharger or other type of turbine spooling up.

The 'POCK" at T-10 of the countdown (00:08 of this video)

Shuttle geek, FOREVER!
Paul

Offline webdan

• Clearwater, FL
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #1179 on: 02/14/2018 07:22 PM »
... you come upon this rig on the way to the first Falcon Heavy launch (heading east on I-4) and immediately think the driver got some discarded titanium fins from Elon at a discount:

Strangely enough, found it on Google. Here's a video (some language):

Tags: