Author Topic: The (nothing to do with NSF but I use) Tapatalk Feedback Thread  (Read 153278 times)

Offline old_geez

• Narangba
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 0
Unsure if this is the right place to ask, but I’m a new member here, using Tapatalk to access the forums.
For some reason all of the pictures in any thread just display as broken links.
Is there a setting somewhere I need to fix?

I haven't used Tapatalk for a while, but I used to have this problem.  Try clearing the app data for Tapatalk in settings (assuming Android).  Note that this will indeed clear all of the data, so you will have to start over in adding forums, etc.
I’m using it on iOS but I’ll give that a go.
Thanks.

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20639
Tapatalk responded, and BIG SURPRISE support from Macrostaffed ended. 

In the meantime, though, I've been exploring the virtues of the mobile site which works well enough for viewing at least on Windows 8.1 with UC Browser.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Has anyone encountered large ads recently when viewing this forum through Tapatalk? Due to their size and frequency they are very easy to hit. They also seem to cause the forum scrolling to stutter which again can cause you to hit them by accident.

Offline Chris Bergin

Has anyone encountered large ads recently when viewing this forum through Tapatalk? Due to their size and frequency they are very easy to hit. They also seem to cause the forum scrolling to stutter which again can cause you to hit them by accident.

Clearly not served by us, but by Tapatalk. Noticed a desktop forum using tapatalk as its software is now showing loads of ads and offering a "Premium ad free version".

As I've said before, Tapatalk sucks.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086

Clearly not served by us, but by Tapatalk. Noticed a desktop forum using tapatalk as its software is now showing loads of ads and offering a "Premium ad free version".

Are there long term plans to change away from it?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Star One

• UK

I will if they keep this up. Surely they must realise this will drive users away from them full stop, rather than driving them to the premium version which I suspect is what they hope will happen.

Offline Chris Bergin

That'd be the dream idea.

Next is to modify the forum to match the news site better. We'll remain with SMF as it's a bad idea to make major changes to functionality.

Then we'll work the mobile version and hopefully make it so everyone who doesn't like desktop (seriously, I use desktop mode on my phone lol) have a valid and in-house option. Now when we get to that dev, we'll crowdsource ideas so we create a good version.

But yeah. News site is great. Servers are now great. That's worked out really well. Next is the match the forum to it (desktop). Then mobile.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline techdude06

• Ohio
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 10
I would love to move away from tapatalk, but I find the subscribe function invaluable. It provides an easy way to keep track of updates to threads I care about, and pickup right where I left off on the thread. If the desktop or mobile version of the forums had that functionality I would move to that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline wholmeswa

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 144
I would love to move away from tapatalk, but I find the subscribe function invaluable. It provides an easy way to keep track of updates to threads I care about, and pickup right where I left off on the thread. If the desktop or mobile version of the forums had that functionality I would move to that.

Agreed. Tapatalk subscribe lets me easily just the stuff I am interested in.

Offline Star One

• UK

Out of interest do you use the premium or free Tapatalk?

General question to all Tapatalk users other than the lack of adverts is there much different between them?
« Last Edit: 02/08/2019 08:53 am by Star One »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
I purchased the premium version of Tapatalk because I use it enough it was fully worth the purchase.

For all its faults I find it a far better mobile experience than anything else, and especially far better then the mobile version of NSF. I for one would have a really dim view of seeing the Tapatalk access go away, all else staying the same. I’ve left subscription based forums that I highly value because they dropped Tapatalk, as what they offered as a mobile alternative was abysmal.

John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Chris Bergin

I purchased the premium version of Tapatalk because I use it enough it was fully worth the purchase.

For all its faults I find it a far better mobile experience than anything else, and especially far better then the mobile version of NSF. I for one would have a really dim view of seeing the Tapatalk access go away, all else staying the same. I’ve left subscription based forums that I highly value because they dropped Tapatalk, as what they offered as a mobile alternative was abysmal.

I think the point I'd make to that in response is I doubt we're even capable of blocking such a thing and we're not one for "taking anything away" and forcing "NSF Mobile" on people. So it'd probably be another choice. The motivation for making NSF Mobile great would be to create something that people would move from tapatalk. Remember, Taptalk is out of our of control and I tend to shudder at the Tapatalk thread acting like NSF has a problem, when it's Tapatalk themselves. The "massive ads", and "premium" version - both of which gain NSF zero revenue, are an example of that. I would note if it's L2 members, then that "zero revenue" is no issue as they've paid their way already. :)

Anyway, this is a step ahead. We've sorted out the news site (I love it). We've sorted out the hosting (that was a big deal). We're next sorting out desktop forum (same forum, same software, but a design change to make it match the news site better and allow NSF more opportunities to ensure it's future viability. That's in work, in the background, now).
« Last Edit: 02/08/2019 09:35 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
Anyway, this is a step ahead. We've sorted out the news site (I love it). We've sorted out the hosting (that was a big deal). We're next sorting out desktop forum (same forum, same software, but a design change to make it match the news site better and allow NSF more opportunities to ensure it's future viability. That's in work, in the background, now).

Will you be taking suggestions Chris, like you did with the news site. I've got ~three.

Offline Chris Bergin

Will you be taking suggestions Chris, like you did with the news site. I've got ~three.

Absolutely. When we move to that phase, we'll open it out for suggestions to plan. I'll remember to buzz you in advance :)

Offline jerwah

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 119
I have tried to find the right place to post this, if I'm in the wrong area I apologize. I'm wondering if it would be possible to enable likes from tapatalk? I'm on several boards and can like posts, but not here.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
Is anyone else having an issue with NSF on Tapatalk this morning? Nothing loading...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline jerwah

• Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 119
Is anyone else having an issue with NSF on Tapatalk this morning? Nothing loading...
working ok for me right now.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
I have a Tapatalk issue:
Some weeks ago I changed the mail address associated with my NSF account away from an old yahoo.com one. There were some hassles that required manual intervention from Chris B., but now it's mostly fine for the Web- version (Desktop and Mobile).
Tapatalk however shows major problems that were not present before the mail address change:

First issue:
I can't login with my Forum user name, I have to use the Mail address (minor issue, but different from before).

Second issue (the real bummer):
Immediately after I login, everything is fine. But when I restart Tapatalk, Tapatalk hangs when entering the third level forums (don't know of a better name:

1st Level: "NASASpaceFlight.com Forum"
   2nd Level: "NSF Landing Page (Site Rules, Overviews Development, Feedback)"
   3rd Level: "NASASpaceflight.com and NSF Forum Site Rules/News" <== entering this Level fails).

I have to logout and login again to actually access the site. Any idea on how to address the second issue would be very much appreciated.

This is with Tapatalk Pro on Android, current as of 06/13/2019.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2019 07:40 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
I have to logout and login again to actually access the site. Any idea on how to address the second issue would be very much appreciated.

I think I have fixed the problem. There is a Tapatalk account setting "Use my Tapatalk username as the preferred username to join Tapatalk Groups.". Unchecking this option seems to resolve the issue.
« Last Edit: 06/13/2019 11:35 am by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline Star One

• UK
When is the report to mod function going to be fixed on this forum as it hasn’t worked through Tapatalk in ages.

When I enquired a while back with Tapatalk I was advised it was up to the forum in question to fix it.

It does appear to work on other forums.
« Last Edit: 08/14/2019 09:06 am by Star One »

Tags: Space galaxy astronomy 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography