Author Topic: European new micro launchers  (Read 53775 times)

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
Re: Arianespace's new "micro launcher"
« Reply #20 on: 10/02/2017 09:45 pm »
I just realised only Vega L and other launchers Arianespace is going to offer are on topic.
May I sugest to change the subject of this topic into "European new micro launchers".

I don't expect any new Arianespace launchers before 2024, after the Vega-C and Ariane 6 have been introduced. 2024 is the aimed introduction date for Vega-E (is in study phase). There was also a presentation about Vega-E; VUS with Myra engine, and VEnUS solar electric orbit raising stage, during IAC.
Possibly Vega-L will be introduced earlier.

Vega-L is a proposal from AVIO/ELV. The press release talked about two configurations. I think that Arianegroup /France might also be interested in one of these configurations. This is the configuration that could be introduced earlier. Let me explain by discribing what I expect for the two versions of Vega-L.

The most capable version is most likely derived from Vega-E. This is a two stage launcher, with a first stage derived from Z40 (or M51 1th stage) and VUS as 2th stage. Optionally VEnUS could be added as 3th stage. (Configuration P40-VUS / P36-C10)
The second version I expect to be a derivative of Vega-C or M51, this would be a 3stage launcher. The first stage is most likely also derived from Z40 or M51 1th. The second stage could be Z9A or M51 2th. AVUM+ would be the 3th stage for this Vega-L version. (Configuration P36-P9/Z9-AVUM+/S0,75).
I've used the French launcher configuration nomenclature.
I think Arianegroup might be very interested in the second configuration. Because they also produce the M51. This version of Vega-L might utilize the factory where M51's are produced, when there is no demand from France.

Now a side topic; Vega and Vega-C, I call these Small launchers.
The resent order of 6× Vega and 4× Vega-C launchers indicate that Arianespace will use Vega and Vega-C at the same time. If the configuration of vega doesn't change, this means that AVIO/ELV have to produce 7 different stages at the same time. (P120C, P80, Z40, Z23, Z9A, AVUM and AVUM+)
If Vega-L gets added to the launch offering, a P40 will be added, but this is most likely nearly identical to Z40. I expect that these 10 Vega(-C) launchers will be used in 2019 and 2020, so 5 launches annually.
Does Avio wants to streamline it's production proces after 2020?

If Vega-E gets developed, Z9A and AVUM(+) will be replaced by the VUS stage. This reduces the ammount of stage configurations by three. (P120C,  P80, Z40/P40, VUS (& VEnUS)).
In this scenario P80 will be produced at a low rate <4x/y. Z40/P40 @ 6-10×/Y and P120C @~35x/Y. Could P80 be replaced by a stage simular to Z40/P40 or a longer version of P40, aka P50-P75. The launch capability for this launcher (Vega+) should be 1,5mT to 700km SSO. This would eliminate the requirement for the 3m diameter P80 mandrel.  Only the P120C 3,4m and Z40/P40 2,36m remain.
Possibly a expendable Prometheus powered first stage and VUS could also replace Vega. Or if Callisto is a succes: Multiple Myra-VUS.

I expect MT Aerospace will produce two different solid stage sizes: P120C (3,4m) and S50 (1,45m).
Possibly the 1,45m diameter is interasting for a H2O2-HC storable in orbit stage that could replace AVUM on the small Vega-L, and supplement VEnUS (more dV in orbit stage).
This 1,45m might also be interesting for a rideshare adapter like ESPA or Sherpa.
« Last Edit: 10/03/2017 02:31 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
Re: Arianespace's new "micro launcher"
« Reply #21 on: 10/03/2017 09:07 am »
May I sugest to change the subject of this topic into "European new micro launchers".

Done  ;)

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: European new micro launchers
« Reply #22 on: 10/03/2017 03:37 pm »
We already have the Countdown to new smallsat launchers thread for new commercial smallsat launchers, and individual threads for many of the companies also.  I'm not sure we really need a separate thread for European commercial smallsat launchers.  It might be better to keep this one focused on Arianespace and ESA launchers.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #23 on: 10/03/2017 04:30 pm »
gongora; I disagree with you. In Europe a space company without institutional backing won't make it.
All companies that do sereaus development are involved in ESA or EU Horizon 2020 programs. PLD Space is mostly funded by the government of Spain. And all UK initiatives also rely on government backing.
So which company succeeds it's launcher development, depends on political decisions in my opinion.
I hope it's clear I'm skeptical about commercial enterprises (startups) developing a launch service, especially in the EU/Europe.

There are four or five possible orbital launch sites: CSG (France Guiana); SSC (Sweden); ASC (Norway); CEDEA (Spain) and multiple possible sites in the UK. The authorities for these launch sites, decide which launcher is allowed to launch from the launch site and which regulations apply. 
My opinion is that ASC is the best location for orbital micro launchers. Next is CSG and then the UK (but is the UK Europe?). SSC is located inland, and CEDEA requires south-westward launches.
Smile studied launchers from ASC; Rainbow/Small sat Express from SSC and Altair from a huge UAV. PLD Space intents to launch from CEDEA. The UK is and rightfully has a topic of it's own. CSG means Arianespace launch service, I've written about that.

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 2116
« Reply #24 on: 10/03/2017 05:48 pm »
I don't think P80 will be kept in production, I think the recent order for baseline Vegas will be the last one, then it will be full Vega C/E.
Regarding M-51, I don't think the French MoD is interested in maintaining a continuous production of M51. It is interesting in the industrial base for solids, but that can be accomplished by having a specifically civilian solid stage in production or design. No need to have a common military/civilian design. Besides, ICBM are purchased in batches (roughly 1 batch per submarine), and then the production stops, so keeping a low-rate production for civilian use is not optimal.
So Vega-L will most likely have aZ40 1st stage, with a VUS or Z9 on top.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #25 on: 10/03/2017 08:59 pm »
Regarding M-51, I don't think the French MoD is interested in maintaining a continuous production of M51. It is interesting in the industrial base for solids, but that can be accomplished by having a specifically civilian solid stage in production or design. No need to have a common military/civilian design. Besides, ICBM are purchased in batches (roughly 1 batch per submarine), and then the production stops, so keeping a low-rate production for civilian use is not optimal.
So Vega-L will most likely have aZ40 1st stage, with a VUS or Z9 on top.

Z40 doesn't work as first stage. It's nozzle has a expansion ratio for higher altitudes. And the grain geometry is optimized for a second stage, thus it has a flat thrust curve. A first stage needs an increased thrust during the first couple of seconds of it's burn. So Z40 as first stage isn't an option.
M51 1th is sea level optimized, but designed to be started submerged.  I also don't think that M51 1th could be applied directly.
That's why I wrote "derived from", and I really mean that Avio or Arianegroup have to develop a new solid stage. They could reuse a casing and possibly the nozzle of M51 1th and other systems. But the grain geometry has to be redesigned for Vega-L.
I expect that Z9A or M51 2th can be applied directly in the less capable version of Vega-L.
As replacement for Vega a launcher with the P40-Z40-Z9A-AVUM+ or P40-Z40-VUS. This P40 isn't the same as the first stage of Vega-L, because of the heavier payload (payload+stages) it has to deliver more thrust. So even when the casing is the same for the two P40 versions and Z40, the grain geometry and most likely nozzles have to be different.
I think a longer casing with the 2,36m diameter of Z40; to replace P80, might be an interesting idea.
But Arianegroup most likely prefers a vega replacement that uses Myra, Prometheus and or callisto technology.

Solids have a limited stowage live (from ~a year to several decades). Longer stowage live make a solid stage more expansive. So possibly France is interested in selling the stages that near their end of service live. This could be used on a version Vega-L with AVUM.
« Last Edit: 10/03/2017 09:20 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #26 on: 10/04/2017 10:02 am »
I just discovered that there is a German-led Mini launcher development under the ESA FLPP program.
It's a 10mln Euro program, mainly funded by Germany. I found this in the OHB half year 2017 presentation.
Another program under FLPP backed during MC2016 is the VEnUS Electric (xenon) Upperstage development. OHB Italy is the lead, It's part of Vega-E and it's a 13mln project.
Both projects are most likely technology maturation studies. For realization more expansive project need to follow.

For the VLM launcher project (DLR & IAE) OHB; MT Aerospace will develop the S50 casing under the CaSSiS IMC project. Production of the first test article started in Juli. The structural test plan should be finished in October / november. The Test Rediness Review (TRR) is planned for March 2018.

I think there are two options for the mini launcher developed under FLPP:
1) VLM with a green Stowable upper stage (HTP mono, HTP-HC or HTP-HTPB [Hypergeo])
2) A LOx-HC launcher, also studied under SMILE (Aldebaran CATS or Infinity)
« Last Edit: 10/04/2017 10:12 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #27 on: 12/11/2017 03:39 pm »
 :) update from PLDspace & DLR tweety
I forgot to add the link to this DLR page
« Last Edit: 12/12/2017 10:47 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #28 on: 01/03/2018 09:21 am »
Avio expanding Vega launch abilities, mulls “light” mini-variant

http://spacenews.com/avio-expanding-vega-launch-abilities-mulls-light-mini-variant/

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
Re: European new micro launchers / EU EIC Pilot competition
« Reply #29 on: 02/01/2018 11:39 am »
Let's use this topic for the news that came out this week.
https://ec.europa.eu/research/eic/index.cfm?pg=prizes

What moving two characters, and adding a "=" in a post can do!  ;D

In short:
January 23 & 34 , the EU held their 10th Conference on European Space Policy. During this conference it was announced that the EU has opened a competition to develop a low-Cost LEO launch vehicle.
- The price money is 10mln.
- The contest opens Q1 2018 and closes Q4 2020. The price is awarded Q4 2021.

One of the programs of the EU (European Union) is Horizon 2020, a technology development project. They created a new instrument: the European Innovation Council (EIC) pilot project. (first link)
In total they have created six technology development competitions, with a total price pool of 40mln.
Apparently the EU found the development of a small LEO launcher so impotent that it's one of the six competition subjects. And it has the highest price value available.

The two post below this one are most likely two contenders. Another one is Orbex (because they are also Danish and German).
The EU also funded the SMILE and Altair launcher technology development projects under the Horizon 2020 program. Most likely several other contenders will emerge from those projects.
I think this is basically equivalent as the Venture Class launch awards from NASA
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 08:18 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #30 on: 02/02/2018 09:22 am »
https://twitter.com/PLD_Space/status/959019785567834114

IT IS OFFICIAL: @ESA awards Spain´s @PLD_Space´s  #ARION2 proposal for a small satellite orbital #Microlauncher.  #Smallsats #Spain #Technology #Science

Offline AlexA

• UK
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #31 on: 02/02/2018 03:11 pm »
Related news:
UK-Ukrainian launch vehicle developer Skyrora to establish smallsat launch site
WARSAW, Poland — U.K.-based Skyrora has unveiled plans to host a suborbital test flight in the fourth quarter of 2018. As part of its strategy to meet the rising demand for small satellite launches in a cost-effective manner, the company aims to set up a facility to launch smallsats from Scotland.
“Our decision to use hydrogen peroxide and kerosene came about for a variety of reasons, and we do appreciate the link with Black Arrow and feel a certain sentimental connection to that project,” according to Smith. “We’re actually planning to sponsor the build of a full-size replica Black Arrow for the Wight Aviation Museum, as we’d like to help ensure that future generations are aware of the fascinating story of Britain’s first and only satellite launcher to date.”

http://spacenews.com/uk-ukrainian-launch-vehicle-developer-skyrora-to-establish-smallsat-launch-site/

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
European new micro launchers / EU EIC Pilot competition
« Reply #32 on: 02/02/2018 07:44 pm »
Read my edited post three post back.

And yes I think those brits don't have acces thanks to #Brexit. Really good move britsh people.
To be honest, I think that the Horizon 2020; EU Research and Innovation program is one of the best aspect the EU has. The Copernicus and Galileo projects are also good aspects. Other aspects are really annoying and a waist of public money. The negative aspects about the EU get much attention. I thing that <2% of the European citizens know that this Horizon 2020 project exists. 
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 08:51 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #33 on: 02/09/2018 08:06 am »
Update from ESA about the five FLPP microlauncher development contracts; ESA
And a article from spacenews

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #34 on: 02/11/2018 04:10 am »
Seems the Horizon Black Arrow 2 page has been updated. They are now showing late 2019 for their first launch.

http://www.horizonsas.com/products/
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Kosmos2001

• CAT
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #35 on: 02/11/2018 06:07 pm »
Seems the Horizon Black Arrow 2 page has been updated. They are now showing late 2019 for their first launch.

When was the former launch date?

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #36 on: 02/23/2018 01:02 pm »
13.02.2018 14:45

MT AEROSPACE IS CONDUCTING RESEARCH INTO NEW CONCEPTS FOR COMMERCIAL MICRO-LAUNCHERS ON BEHALF OF ESA

Until now, small satellites have frequently had to “ride piggyback” on larger missions. In an effort to find ways of reducing the time required to place them in low earth orbits, the European Space Agency ESA recently instructed MT Aerospace AG among others to conduct feasibility studies into micro-launchers.

The Augsburg-based space technology company is exploring three different innovative launch service ideas. In one case, the plan is for the two- or three-stage micro-launcher to lift off from the ground to place payloads with a weight of up to 200 kilograms in orbit. Contributed by Dassault Aviation to the study, the “Daneo” scenario provides for the launcher to lift off from an airborne aircraft. This would be a viable option for satellites weighing 50 kilograms. A further option being explored involves launching small satellites with a mass of up to 75 kilograms from the “Bloostar”, a stratospheric vehicle, which is a cross between a balloon and a rocket developed by Barcelona company Zero 2 Infinity.

MT Aerospace in conjunction with its respective partner will now be assessing the technological and economic feasibility of all three alternatives, developing business cases for comprehensive launch service packages for a low earth orbit and identifying the most promising option. “A European commercial microlauncher can meet the growing need for dedicated launch services to companies with small satellites,” commented Jerome Breteau, manager of ESA’s Future Launchers Preparatory Programme, under which the studies have been awarded, in the corresponding agency report.

“Launchers and their technological and economic optimization form part of our core business. “We are proud to be involved in the development of dedicated micro-launcher systems as such developments will help to place and keep Germany and the rest of Europe at the cutting edge of space technology,” says Hans J. Steininger, CEO of MT Aerospace.

MT Aerospace has been successfully involved in all ARIANE launchers for more than 50 years and is currently also working on the new ARIANE 6 including the launch pad at the space port in Kourou, French-Guiana.

http://www.mt-aerospace.de/news-details-en/items/mt-aerospace-is-conducting-research-into-new-concepts-for-commercial-micro-launchers-on-behalf-of-esa.html

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #37 on: 02/23/2018 01:05 pm »
ESA Picks Bloostar

The European Space Agency has awarded a total of five smallsat launcher study contracts

Barcelona, 14 February 2018 – In the frame of the Future Launchers Preparatory Program (FLPP), the European Space Agency (ESA) has selected five micro launchers. Among them is Zero 2 Infinity’s (Z2I) unique solution, Bloostar, proposed in a joint consortium study with OHB’s MT Aerospace. The contract has been awarded to and will be performed by Zero 2 Infinity Deutschland GmbH, based in Munich, Germany.

With Bloostar, Zero 2 Infinity is developing the most cost efficient micro launcher proposed in the market and offers tremendous advantages across the board for its customers. In addition to a very competitive price, Bloostar will offer more volume for the customers’ payload and a smoother ride.

Z2I’s launcher, Bloostar, is carried by a Near Space balloon to an altitude above 20 km, where it separates from the balloon and blasts off to orbital speeds. This three-stage vehicle uses liquid methane and oxygen in inexpensive pressure-fed engines.

Launching a rocket above 99% of the mass of the atmosphere, where the aerodynamic resistance is almost nonexistent, yields several significant advantages compared to standard ground or aircraft-based launchers. Among them: lower drag losses, lower gravity losses, nozzles working at optimum performance, and vibrations by a factor of 10, thus benefiting from significant mass savings.

Zero 2 Infinity has recently partnered with Dassault Systèmes in order to apply its 3DExperience Platform in Bloostar’s development. More recently, an agreement was also signed with INDRA in order to exploit synergies between both company technologies.

The FLPP is a key program to implement the European strategy for accessing Space, as it oversees the studies and research that is carried on to foster new technologies. The FLPP main objective is to identify the competences and technologies to develop a reusable launcher with reduced costs. Key technological areas include: lightweight systems and robust structures, orbit injection strategies, green launch systems, reusability, etc.

http://www.zero2infinity.space/updates/esa-picks-bloostar/

Offline Donosauro

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #38 on: 02/23/2018 01:20 pm »

When was the former launch date?

I keep a Space (and astronomy) Timelines note file. It had this, near the end of 2017: "Horizon Black Arrow II to begin suborbital test launches." I do not remember where that info came from; so, YMMV.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #39 on: 02/23/2018 02:55 pm »
After Brexit, I'm not sure if launchers form the UK could still be considered European.
I think the UK companies can't participate in a European Union competition.
But the Brexit is still in proces, so this is a very uncertain situation right now.
AFAIK the UK will stay a member of ESA, thus they can participate in FLPP-NEO projects, ESA funded projects.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography