Author Topic: Asteroid Retrieval Mission Concept  (Read 264878 times)

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
Re: Asteroid Retrieval Mission Concept
« Reply #580 on: 12/24/2022 11:49 am »
Fascinating.  Minor typo "Poynting-Robertson effect".

I gotta kick out of the redefinition of asteroid to be about a yard in diameter.  But in prinicple, I'd say that grabbing a boulder off of an asteroid counts.  You get what you get.  The problem of rotation, precession and nutation is a hard one to solve.

"The politicians thought, the Moon is too easy, Mars is still too hard..."  Right. Easy.  The Moon.  The pols are too simplistic in their analysis.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
Re: Asteroid Retrieval Mission Concept
« Reply #581 on: 12/28/2022 03:18 pm »
I think Phil’s perspective should be taken with a grain of salt considering he’s a moon guy.

ARRM was actually a pretty innovative idea, and a lot of the reason people hated it is because it didn’t fit in with the Moon or Mars narrative that people have invested a lot of their lives into.

The general public cares more about NASA doing something to prepare or defend against impact threats than they do about Moon or Mars, and Obama kind of felt the same way. ARRM was a way to do that, and push our capabilities around asteroids far beyond the current state of the art or even near term extrapolations. Artemis is wonderful (especially because of commercial HLS), but it is a little sad we lost the potential ability to demonstrate a real mastery of control over a large class of impactors. (And advance asteroid mining by literally decades.)
« Last Edit: 12/28/2022 03:23 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography