Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon COTS Demo (C2+) PRE LAUNCH UPDATES  (Read 240136 times)

Offline d3jf

• Global Moderator
  • Brno, Czech Republic
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 186
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9/Dragon COTS Demo (C2+) PRE LAUNCH UPDATES
« Reply #520 on: 05/05/2012 08:09 am »
The fact that they will be launching after the Soyuz docks makes me wonder whether Joe Acaba will be somehow involved in capture and berthing ops.

I know that originally Andre was supposed to be a backup while Dan and Don performed the capture. Will Joe now be a backup? Does he need OBT when he's just finished training on the ground?

Offline Thunderbird5

• "How hard could it be?" TM
  • London, Ol' Blighty
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #521 on: 05/05/2012 11:30 am »
Oh man! Pre launch for me is 12:30am and launch is at 1:55am. I'll be up until at least 3am and I have to get up for work at 7 well it's time for a few rock star drinks.  :-\

So let me get this right. The launch is at 4:55 eastern time so, technically, it's a night launch but according to the flight plan it could reach daylight by the time of MECO or shortly after.

9.55am British Summer Time on a Saturday morning, what could be more perfect?  ;D
« Last Edit: 05/05/2012 11:32 am by Thunderbird5 »

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #522 on: 05/05/2012 01:41 pm »
9.55am British Summer Time on a Saturday morning, what could be more perfect?  ;D
10:55am for me, gives me time to have a lie in and my breakfast  8)
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline Space Pete

I was thinking the same things myself. Goodbye lie-in, but HELLO Dragon on-orbit ops, at long last! :)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline mduncan36

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #524 on: 05/05/2012 02:21 pm »
I have a really solid feeling about this launch date. For one, there have been enough delays at this point that this might actually be the real launch date. I am in Phoenix. My birthday is May 19th. Do you think it is reasonable for me to fly to Florida for the 19th? What are the odds of it being cancelled due to weather? The ticket is like $500. If I devide the cost of the ticket by the expected value of the launch, that should give me the real price of the ticket, so I can ask my wife if I can go...

The odds of this launch going at this time are somewhere between a million to one and fifty-fifty. You will just have to go for it and forget the odds. I could fly there for free and have a free rental car waiting but I'm going to be watching it on tv.

Having said all that I gambled on three shuttle launches in the past and got lucky on all three. Being there with thousands of like minded fans is a pretty cool experience. Saying good bye to a thousand dollars and coming home to unhappy wife is not. Just to confuse things further, if you are young and have no kids then maybe this is the time. Once you get on up in life then finding time or money to do anything for yourself becomes virtually impossible. Good luck.

Offline edfishel

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #525 on: 05/05/2012 02:56 pm »
Even if it gets postponed, there is so much to see at the Cape. It is a worthwhile trip. :)

Online Chris Bergin

This is brilliant from Pete Harding.

ISS schedule slips Dragon launch to May 19 – future manifest outlook:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2012/05/iss-schedule-dragon-launch-19-may-future-manifest-outlook/

Will use to set up the latest threads shortly.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography