Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 177024 times)

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1794
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #460 on: 07/14/2023 02:45 pm »
A L2 bump of "astronaut training" from STS days made me want to find more of them... But I can't get the search function to give me any results at all.

For any keywords.

Is it me?
Sadly no. We discussed the broken search a few times in this and other threads.
For the public side, I use a query like
site:forum.nasaspaceflight.com astronaut training
on DuckDuckGo or Google.
For L2, we have no alternative search and I really miss that.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60522
  • Likes Given: 1317
« Reply #461 on: 09/25/2023 01:26 pm »
 I can't connect from Kazakhstan without going through a VPN. Is that normal?
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 1809
« Reply #462 on: 11/08/2023 02:42 pm »
I have found the "ignore" users feature useful for reducing some of the worst noise (if link doesn't work, go to Profile -> Modify -> Buddies/Ignore -> Ignore).  There are a few users who just keep asking inane questions and add nothing to the conversation.  If I don't see them, I don't take the bait.

In our forum settings, there's a related preference:

"Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list."

My (very) whiny complaint is that I still see an entry for their posts, warning me that it's hidden and offering to show it to me.  I kind of wish we could block them altogether, so that their posts don't even exist in our view :)  Sorry inane people, but I just want to catch up on the forum threads with you not there at all ...

EDIT: groooooaaaannnnn......
« Last Edit: 11/14/2023 10:26 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

« Reply #463 on: 11/27/2023 08:17 pm »
Did a whole heap of threads in New Physics just get locked?  What is going on?

Offline Paul451

• Australia
  • Liked: 2540
  • Likes Given: 2207
« Reply #464 on: 11/28/2023 05:41 am »
Did a whole heap of threads in New Physics just get locked?  What is going on?

I'm guessing Chris/etc decided to tighten up the rules of what qualifies as New Physics vs just pseudo-science, judging by the new pinned top-thread:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59738.msg2533767#msg2533767

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9612
  • Likes Given: 8211
« Reply #465 on: 11/28/2023 05:55 am »
Well, Chris (mods) needs to look at where the discussion on Elon's Tunneling thread is going. The past week has been about feuding and comparing London Subway versus American. Chris tried to restart with a new thread but to no avail.  I thought the basis of having this terrestrial thread was to discuss adaptability for using this on Mars.
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82885
  • Likes Given: 37269
« Reply #466 on: 11/28/2023 08:43 am »
I’ve fired a warning shot on the Boring Company thread (and expanded the first post to clarify the thread’s purpose). If things don’t improve we’ll just have to keep the thread locked.
« Last Edit: 11/28/2023 08:43 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60522
  • Likes Given: 1317
« Reply #467 on: 12/05/2023 02:46 am »
 Wouldn't it make sense to bump Boring up one level, since the TBMs are SpaceX vehicles, but it's kind of hard to justify it being in the Starship section?
 Still not exactly spaceflight, but it would give it a more suitable home if it's going to keep hanging around, eating our food.
 Potential off world uses would be a good rationalization for letting it stay.
 As far as Vegas and the London tube, catdlr has a point.
« Last Edit: 12/05/2023 03:02 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online catdlr

« Reply #468 on: 12/05/2023 03:04 am »
Wouldn't it make sense to bump Boring up one level, since the TBMs are SpaceX vehicles, but it's kind of hard to justify it being in the Starship section?
 Still not exactly spaceflight, but it would give it a more suitable home if it's going to keep hanging around, eating our food.
 Potential off world uses would be a good rationalization for letting it stay.

Here is my 2-cents:
The TBM would eventually be seen as part of a series of payloads, not necessarily a satellite or space probe, but rather terrestrial equipment to assist with initial surveying, mining, settlement, and eventually human habitation and habitats. This would necessitate the use of even more advanced equipment. It might be beneficial to create a new section titled "Habitation and Equipment for Mars and the Moon" to address these topics and place this TBM thread there.   Tony.

Online launchwatcher

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 990
« Reply #469 on: 01/28/2024 06:05 pm »
It's unclear if this is on anyone's radar as a future direction or if there's a better place to ask, but would it be possible for this forum to be made available over IPv6?   My understanding is that the site is using Cloudflare as a CDN and Cloudflare has had good IPv6 support for a while now, and can act as a proxy so that (depending on how you're using it) the back-end servers you run might not have to do IPv6 themselves.   So I figure it can't hurt to ask.   Thanks for considering this!

Background for those who have no idea what I'm talking about:

When the Internet protocols were designed back in the mid-1970's, the architects guessed wrong about how popular it would become.   They only left room in the packet headers for about 4 billion (2^32) unique addresses.   But IPv4 otherwise succeeded in a big way.

By the early 90's - roughly around the time that work on what would become the James Webb Space Telescope was starting -  it became clear that we would run out of addresses within a decade or three.   Work began back then on IPv6 - a revision to the protocols with bigger addresses (128 bits, big enough that we don't have to worry about running out), and sundry other changes.    (as an aide, IPv5 was an experimental protocol that didn't get much use).

Webb launched a few years ago and is now producing wonderful science.   

And IPv6 is now widely deployed, albeit somewhat unevenly.   Major websites use it alongside traditional IPv4.  Worldwide, a bit under half of all traffic to Google now comes in over IPv6.   Smartphones on some carriers are now IPv6-only (with kludges in place to let them communicate with IPv4-only websites).

And as predicted, IPv4 addresses have all been given out and there's now a secondary market trading IPv4 address blocks between service providers.  Amazon AWS will shortly be charging its customers extra for IPv4 addresses.

Anyhow, my smartphone is now v6-only most of the time, and my home internet service is dual-stack.  The transition mechanisms allowing v6-only devices to reach v4-only sites work well enough in practice but are inferior to just going IPv6 all the way through the network when you can.
« Last Edit: 01/28/2024 06:06 pm by launchwatcher »

Offline GWR64

• Germany
  • Liked: 1763
  • Likes Given: 1093
« Reply #470 on: 02/02/2024 02:06 pm »
The forum has been very hungry for cookies for a few days?
When you deselect everyone individually, you see how many there are.
But comes back regularly. Has anything changed?

Windows 11, Firefox

later:
some Google stuff, annoying,
is now silent, in Firefox with ub...  ::)
« Last Edit: 02/03/2024 07:23 pm by GWR64 »

Offline jstrotha0975

• United States
  • Liked: 347
  • Likes Given: 2691
« Reply #471 on: 02/15/2024 06:45 pm »
The use of the word "troll" should not be permitted on this forum. Just because someone disagrees and has a differing opinion doesn't make them a troll. There's no such thing as a stupid question or answer.

Offline Riccardo11

• Italy
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #472 on: 02/27/2024 07:30 pm »
Today I received a blue banner about accepting cookies. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any way to choose whether or not to accept the installation of these cookies.

This is a bit unusual, as I'm writing from the EU.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/data-protection/online-privacy/index_en.htm

EDIT: Just a clarification. I love this site, I write little but read a lot, and the above is only to help the forum administrators. It is just that I found very unusual, browsing from Europe, your cookie consent.
« Last Edit: 02/27/2024 07:37 pm by Riccardo11 »

Online catdlr

« Reply #473 on: 02/27/2024 07:31 pm »
Today I received a blue banner about accepting cookies. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any way to choose whether or not to accept the installation of these cookies.

This is a bit unusual, as I'm writing from the EU.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/data-protection/online-privacy/index_en.htm

I get it here in the States.  It usually occurs when I manually clean up cookies.  I agree, no choice.
« Last Edit: 02/27/2024 07:31 pm by catdlr »

Offline ELinder

• Cleveland, OH
    • Erich Linder Photography
  • Liked: 94
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #474 on: 03/13/2024 02:22 pm »
Does anyone else feel like the “Updates” threads are becoming bloated? There seem to be more frequent cross posting of photos and information between updates and discussion threads. Often there are links to Tweets (X is a stupid name) with attempted clever exclamations of things that are happening. There are also more and more videos from multiple people that either give opinions or rehash and recap things that happened and were already covered in previous posts.

I can understand when people get excited if something big is about to happen, but I thought the “Updates” threads should follow Joe Friday's mantra of “just the facts ma'am”.

Online clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7411
  • Likes Given: 3777
« Reply #475 on: 03/13/2024 06:17 pm »
Does anyone else feel like the “Updates” threads are becoming bloated? There seem to be more frequent cross posting of photos and information between updates and discussion threads. Often there are links to Tweets (X is a stupid name) with attempted clever exclamations of things that are happening. There are also more and more videos from multiple people that either give opinions or rehash and recap things that happened and were already covered in previous posts.

I can understand when people get excited if something big is about to happen, but I thought the “Updates” threads should follow Joe Friday's mantra of “just the facts ma'am”.

There are a fair number of very good digital artists on this site but the artwork should *NOT* be placed in the UPDATES threads. They've become so frequent to the Update threads that they are almost spam.

I appreciate the talent these folks have, I really do, but an "Update" should be a fact, a development, an actual photo of the thread subject, a change to a previous fact or status, or something like that - an actual "update"; NOT an artist's drawing or a rendering. They should go into either the discussion threads or into a renderings thread.
« Last Edit: 03/13/2024 06:18 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 674
  • Likes Given: 2455
« Reply #476 on: 03/14/2024 06:57 pm »
Does anyone else feel like the “Updates” threads are becoming bloated?

Yes.

Update threads are especially high volume on launch day. Maybe all the routine high volume updates such as webcast screenshots, weather updates, routine milestones such as propellant loading, and post-launch congratulations (which IIRC are allowed in update threads) should be put in a separate thread, with the update threads only getting the most important updates such as scrubs and other changes of launch date, liftoff (which is important since it means there won't be a scrub), successful completion of launch (usually payload deployment), the fact that there was a RUD, and official explanations of the RUD?

Online catdlr

« Reply #477 on: 03/15/2024 01:07 am »

Yes.

Update threads are especially high volume on launch day. Maybe all the routine high volume updates such as webcast screenshots, weather updates, routine milestones such as propellant loading, and post-launch congratulations (which IIRC are allowed in update threads) should be put in a separate thread, with the update threads only getting the most important updates such as scrubs and other changes of launch date, liftoff (which is important since it means there won't be a scrub), successful completion of launch (usually payload deployment), the fact that there was a RUD, and official explanations of the RUD?

To all Members reading or are interested in this discussion:

Based on the constructive opinions and comments provided above, I believe we should take action. I move that the following be done by the Forum Managers and Moderators, subject to approval by the number of "Likes" or declines with a reason for declining:

1) Start a new "Launch Coverage Thread" on launch day to cover routine updates such as webcast screenshots, weather updates, routine milestones such as propellant loading, and post-launch congratulations, ending with any post-launch Tweeter post specific to the launch.

2) Continue the "Update thread" solely for pre-launch updates and post-launch discoveries, including important updates such as scrubs and changes of launch date, liftoff, successful completion of launch, and official explanations of any RUDs, FAA mishaps investigation results. This thread should also include launch coverage photos and videos.

3) Continue the "Discussion thread" for discussion and questions related to items posted in the Updates and Launch Coverage Thread, and include digital artists' photos and renderings, What-If questions and predictions, and general inquiries.

This would align with the L2 Update and Discussion threads while keeping the Launch Coverage Thread as a unique public news coverage thread for historical information.

Submit your approval by hitting the "LIKES" or post your disagreements.

Best,
Tony
« Last Edit: 03/15/2024 01:07 am by catdlr »

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 926
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #478 on: 03/15/2024 01:29 am »

Yes.

To all Members reading or are interested in this discussion:

Based on the constructive opinions and comments provided above, I believe we should take action. I move that the following be done by the Forum Managers and Moderators, subject to approval by the number of "Likes" or declines with a reason for declining:

1) Start a new "Launch Coverage Thread" on launch day to cover routine updates such as webcast screenshots, weather updates, routine milestones such as propellant loading, and post-launch congratulations, ending with any post-launch Tweeter post specific to the launch.

2) Continue the "Update thread" solely for pre-launch updates and post-launch discoveries, including important updates such as scrubs and changes of launch date, liftoff, successful completion of launch, and official explanations of any RUDs, FAA mishaps investigation results. This thread should also include launch coverage photos and videos.

3) Continue the "Discussion thread" for discussion and questions related to items posted in the Updates and Launch Coverage Thread, and include digital artists' photos and renderings, What-If questions and predictions, and general inquiries.

This would align with the L2 Update and Discussion threads while keeping the Launch Coverage Thread as a unique public news coverage thread for historical information.

Best,
Tony

I don't see a problem with the current format, I see no need for a 3rd thread per mission. Just my opinion.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5441
  • Likes Given: 5931
« Reply #479 on: 03/15/2024 01:42 am »

I'm not interested in discussion, so I tend to stay out of the discussion topics (except in L2).

I agree with having renders and other such stuff that aren't actually updates be in the discussion topics.

But I don't particularly like the idea of splitting updates across multiple update topics for a given mission.

If we're going to reduce bloat, I'd much rather see that done by having a separate discussion topic for more missions.

(But I do realize that that's impractical in some cases. For example, there are so many SpaceX Starlink missions that it is kind of impractical to have separate update and discussion topics, much less separate update, discussion, and launch coverage topics. Of course Starlink missions also aren't the ones that get renders posted.)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography