Author Topic: (2011) NASASpaceflight.com Sixth Anniversary - Site Update  (Read 52038 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Re: NASASpaceflight.com Sixth Anniversary - Site Update
« Reply #100 on: 05/11/2011 04:35 pm »
Copy on Chuck's note (personally don't know, but Mark will, as you noted).

On article images:

1) We've increased them to about the 340-350 pixels wide, which I think is as far as we can go without messing up the text. That usually serves the purpose and it's rare we have images on where they are hard to read.

Let's take the latest one:
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2011/05/sts-135-ksc-realign-schedule-preliminary-july-12-launch/

Lead image is from KSC NASA's site - go to the main page www.nasaspaceflight.com for a larger version.

Three images in the article - all L2 :
1) A screenshot from the super vector pdf drawing of the payload. Looks nice even small.
2) Screenshot from a pdf from the Flame Trench Damage presentations. Totally viewable. Ironically links to an older article around that time, showing how we've tidied up the format since (less L2 plugging and bigger images):
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2008/07/investigation-confirms-vertical-debris-events-during-sts-124-launch/
3) From a FVC presentation. Yeah, that's a bit more squinty eyed, but the importance was the photos in the slide, and they get it across on the 126 poppet event.

2) The system looks like it allows people to click on images and gain a larger size, but it just shows the same image as a standalone.

3) IF there is a way for the CMS to have a preview and large size image via clicking, I haven't found it, but it would also be a lot of work, given it takes 30 mins or so to get an article from copy to published when you consider the work that needs to be done on the images and embedding links and so on.

4) We also use a lot of L2 content in the articles (not the Dragon one shown above) and you can bet - from experience - throwing full size sides from L2 presentations would be leached, even if we watermarked them. Accreditation is a massive problem for this site, because it's rare anyone wants to do that. A lot of sites are so insular and then have the cheek to expect us to throw their links all over the place, it's almost funny. I also got so sick of the leeching in the earlier years I actually stopped using L2 content images in articles for a while. The good news is, we now have some good friendly sites and we're happy to work with them.

So bottom line is the articles will stay the same, bar some minor tweaks if the CMS allows (and I'm always looking to improve the site, as much as I'm reasonably happy with the layout of the news site now). If you find a slide fascinating and want to see it in a full size pdf, get on L2, because that's where the content is and be in the knowledge you're actually helping the site, which equates to sustaining and growing what we can do here. Heck, if just today's visitors bought two months of L2, we'd be set for about three years. That's why I sometimes come across as pimping, as I'm convinced we're not getting the message across.

Goodness me, I can ramble ;D
« Last Edit: 05/11/2011 04:37 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #101 on: 05/17/2011 07:54 pm »
Here is my feeble thought: might it be a good idea to separate the Historical sections into Manned and Unmanned areas? Perhaps a Space Shuttle historical area only?
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #102 on: 05/17/2011 11:24 pm »
Yes Art, there's going to be a need for some splits.

It'll depend on the amount of threads (more the better) to create a viable "new" section and help to create it, as manually moving 400 threads is a long job :)

The forum will naturally grow via new sections, both on subject and on existing topics, however.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Sarah

• Shuttle Hugger
  • 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
  • Iowa
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #103 on: 05/17/2011 11:48 pm »
Congrats on 6 years! I can't believe it's been over 4 years since I joined. Thanks to everyone who keeps this site flying high everyday. I wish there were more hours in a day so I could spend more time on here. :)
Photo Album
Launches: 51L, 133, 134, 135
Scrubs: 70
Landings: 135

Offline brueyh1976

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Southampton, UK
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #104 on: 05/20/2011 11:00 pm »
I honestly can't remember when I joined. I would so lost without this site. The coverage during an STS mission - I can't put it into words. L2 just blows me away, it really does.

Chris and all of the NSF team - thank you
"Disovery, Houston - Roll Program"  "Roger Roll Discovery"

Offline northanger

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #105 on: 05/20/2011 11:46 pm »
I honestly can't remember when I joined.

Check your profile. Happy Birthday To You Today :)

Offline brueyh1976

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Southampton, UK
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #106 on: 05/20/2011 11:53 pm »
I honestly can't remember when I joined.

Check your profile. Happy Birthday To You Today :)

Thank you :) I will :)
"Disovery, Houston - Roll Program"  "Roger Roll Discovery"

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #107 on: 05/22/2011 10:53 pm »
Thanks to the above again :) We'll be implementing some of the suggestions after STS-134.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography