Author Topic: The 'It is ITS isn't it' Elon IAC Speech Party Thread  (Read 71845 times)

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
Re: The 'It is ITS isn't it' Elon IAC Speech Party Thread
« Reply #40 on: 09/20/2016 09:14 pm »
My vote's on, "ITS going to be YOUGE!" Party Thread

would like to point out this name got three likes on the other thread before we started...  So that's like 13 (edit) unless there are doubles..

I'll set up the main threads for this. I think we need a live update thread and a discussion thread and heck maybe a party thread.

It's gonna be huge ;D

Party Thread name...
Elon says "ITS gonna be Youge!" party thread
« Last Edit: 09/21/2016 11:35 am by CraigLieb »
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 3815
« Reply #42 on: 09/20/2016 09:20 pm »
The Big Let Down

Quite a good title for explaining how he's going to land 100 tonnes of payload on Mars.  Could be misconstrued, though  :D

Offline Ireadtheinstructionslove

• London
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 09/20/2016 10:43 pm »
Not because ITS easy

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #44 on: 09/20/2016 10:49 pm »
The Big Let Down

I'm not always in agreement with you Jim, but I could not agree strongly enough with you on this. So much hype, so little reality.

I look at it like this. Who is doing the hyping? Is it SpaceX/Musk or everyone else.

Since the only thing SpaceX/Musk have said is announcing his speech, and about three tweets, max 128x3 characters - can't get much hype in there.

So any hype is NOT down to Musk/SpaceX. So therefor doesn't count as company hype.

Therefor, since the hype we have doesn't count because it's just a bunch of people making stuff up who have little or nothing to do with Musk or SpaceX, what actually is there to 'let down'?

Of course, if you do feel let down, don't blame Musk or SpaceX - blame the people who actually 'hype', or yourself, for believing the hype.

I'm just going to wait and see what he says. I've got plenty of patience.
I think blame can be reasonably laid upon both Musk as well as the 'hypers'.

Musk is well practiced at whipping up a frenzy - he's been doing it for fourteen years and probably a lot longer than that. He doesn't need to flood his twitter with messages of 'zomg Mars!' because he's been prepping everyone for occasions like this for years.

So long as he's suggesting Mars is achievable by the 2020's whilst his rockets exhibit insufficient reliability...actually let's be even more general than that: So long as he consistently over-promises and under delivers on FH and Crew Dragon schedule, F9 cadence and aforementioned reliability, then he and SpaceX are guilty of hyping things up beyond what is even remotely realistic vis a vis Mars.

In the meantime his undoubted showmanship has damaged companies that have demonstrated much more assured access to space.

You say that Musk hasn't done any hyping, I think it is his standard operating procedure.

Offline GalacticIntruder

• Pet Peeve:I hate the word Downcomer. Ban it.
  • Huntsville, AL
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #45 on: 09/20/2016 11:11 pm »
Reminds me of that Lesley Gore song, "ITS My Party (and I'll cry if I want to)"
« Last Edit: 09/20/2016 11:12 pm by GalacticIntruder »
"And now the Sun will fade, All we are is all we made." Breaking Benjamin

Offline Torbjorn Larsson, OM

• Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #46 on: 09/20/2016 11:18 pm »
The Big Let Down

I'm not always in agreement with you Jim, but I could not agree strongly enough with you on this. So much hype, so little reality.

I look at it like this. Who is doing the hyping? Is it SpaceX/Musk or everyone else.

Since the only thing SpaceX/Musk have said is announcing his speech, and about three tweets, max 128x3 characters - can't get much hype in there.

So any hype is NOT down to Musk/SpaceX. So therefor doesn't count as company hype.

Therefor, since the hype we have doesn't count because it's just a bunch of people making stuff up who have little or nothing to do with Musk or SpaceX, what actually is there to 'let down'?

Of course, if you do feel let down, don't blame Musk or SpaceX - blame the people who actually 'hype', or yourself, for believing the hype.

I'll give it to the SpaceX 'haters', now they can add reliability to schedules as the two items to drum, drum, drum into our ears.

Meanwhile all others progress on excitement. 'To the Mars ... and Beyond!'

Online neoforce

• Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #47 on: 09/20/2016 11:33 pm »
Thread title should be Elon: champion for humanity.

Online Chris Bergin

And the It is ITS isn't it.. Party Thread - wins on the votes! So name suggestions are over.

Main threads to be set up on Wednesday
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Bubbinski

The IAC finally gives me a reason to look forward to Monday & Tuesday for once! That's reason to party right there :)

Happy Tuesday!
« Last Edit: 09/21/2016 01:49 am by Bubbinski »
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1739
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #50 on: 09/21/2016 08:29 am »
The Big Let Down

Musk is well practiced at whipping up a frenzy - he's been doing it for fourteen years and probably a lot longer than that. He doesn't need to flood his twitter with messages of 'zomg Mars!' because he's been prepping everyone for occasions like this for years.

So long as he's suggesting Mars is achievable by the 2020's whilst his rockets exhibit insufficient reliability...actually let's be even more general than that: So long as he consistently over-promises and under delivers on FH and Crew Dragon schedule, F9 cadence and aforementioned reliability, then he and SpaceX are guilty of hyping things up beyond what is even remotely realistic vis a vis Mars.

In the meantime his undoubted showmanship has damaged companies that have demonstrated much more assured access to space.

You say that Musk hasn't done any hyping, I think it is his standard operating procedure.

Ok, can you give some concrete examples of him 'hyping' ITS, which is specifically what I was talking - none of the other stuff you mentioned (which I think is nonsense also, but not the item being discussed). And I mean more than a few of tweets. He's given some approximate idea of what he want the timescale to be, note he hasn't guaranteed anything of course, some vague idea of requirements (100T to Mars surface), and some vague information that it could do more than Mars. Not a huge amount else - everything else has come from everyone else.

Is that really 'hyping it up'?

I don't think so. You want hype? Talk to Steve Balmer when he was at Microsoft. THAT is hype.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #51 on: 09/21/2016 09:02 am »
Thread title should be Elon: champion for humanity.

First of all, Elon Musk isn't the champion for humanity - he's the 14th Doctor - the extra one beyond what's allowed for regular TimeLords - and that Dragon thing is just his TARDIS. So he's actually the champion for many humanities and sentient species.

« Last Edit: 09/21/2016 09:03 am by sanman »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18197
  • Likes Given: 12158
« Reply #52 on: 09/21/2016 09:23 am »
BOOO for the title of this party thread!  ;) (Not being a native English speaker I had to read it half a dozen times to parse it correctly)

Other than that I wish everyone here a pleasant stay and lotsa fun watching Elon talk.  :D

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #53 on: 09/21/2016 11:43 am »
BOOO for the title of this party thread!  ;) (Not being a native English speaker I had to read it half a dozen times to parse it correctly)

Other than that I wish everyone here a pleasant stay and lotsa fun watching Elon talk.  :D
Yup. That first "It is" really, really wants to be "It's". As it is ::), it doesn't scan.

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 1349
  • Likes Given: 2394
« Reply #54 on: 09/21/2016 03:34 pm »

recount... recount...

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41215.msg1586260#msg1586260

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=41215.msg1586541#msg1586541
« Last Edit: 09/21/2016 03:37 pm by CraigLieb »
On the ground floor of the National Space Foundation... Colonize Mars!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #55 on: 09/21/2016 04:47 pm »
The Big Let Down

I'll give it to the SpaceX 'haters', now they can add reliability to schedules as the two items to drum, drum, drum into our ears.

What does any of this have to do with reliability or  schedules?  Posting an opinion that has a 50/50 of being true is not hating

I wish there was something to drum, drum, drum out these types of posts
« Last Edit: 09/21/2016 05:11 pm by Jim »

Online Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #56 on: 09/21/2016 04:57 pm »

You're mainly talking about unrealistic timetables here, though. I also wish Musk would stop giving these publicly so much. But I think people are mainly excited to see the rocket. Regardless of whether they ever get it to Mars, I wanna see that rocket. I, for one, don't care about any timelines.

I'd like to see him reveal the basic design and layout of the BFR+BFS, some preliminary payload numbers (even if they're big, rounded-off numbers or just a range they think they'll get within), and some high-level decisions made on how they're going to do power and ISRU for the first mission to the Mars surface.

I really hope I don't get let down even with those modest expectations.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #57 on: 09/21/2016 05:25 pm »
... Regardless of whether they ever get it to Mars, I wanna see that rocket. I, for one, don't care about any timelines....
...and this is why we aren't currently on the Moon or Mars. Big rockets = cool! Actually doing any exploration with them = meh.
« Last Edit: 09/21/2016 05:25 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online rcoppola

• USA
  • Liked: 1967
  • Likes Given: 970
« Reply #58 on: 09/21/2016 05:34 pm »
Do we really want such a convoluted thread title, even for a party thread, for what could be one of the most epic space speeches in recent memory? It's just trying way too hard....
Sail the oceans of space and set foot upon new lands!
http://www.stormsurgemedia.com

Online Prettz

• O'Neillian
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #59 on: 09/21/2016 06:35 pm »
... Regardless of whether they ever get it to Mars, I wanna see that rocket. I, for one, don't care about any timelines....
...and this is why we aren't currently on the Moon or Mars. Big rockets = cool! Actually doing any exploration with them = meh.
This is, of course, nothing at all like what I said. What I actually said was I don't care about the hype. I want to see that solid first steps are happening. The rocket itself could have huge implications even if SpaceX's Mars plans don't work out.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography