Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : GovSat-1 (SES-16) : Jan 31. 2018 - Discussion  (Read 207782 times)

Offline cebri

• Spain
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 181
Fairing recovery vessel, aka Mr. Steven is at LA port.
"It's kind of amazing that a window of opportunity is open for life to beyond Earth, and we don't know how long this window is gonna be open" Elon Musk
"If you want to see an endangered species, get up and look in the mirror." John Young

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
RIP in pieces B1032...

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Very short interval between landing burn start call-out and the call for legs deployment -- must have been a very hot landing demo.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline TrueBlueWitt

• Space Nut
  • Mars in my lifetime!
  • DeWitt, MI
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 487
With short burn prior to splashdown.. anyone else think they used this mission to test  3-engine hover slam profile?

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8787
  • Likes Given: 7815
Someone posted a picture of both Falcon 9 and FH on the pads. I had an old picture saved that I combined with the new one. These aren't my pictures - I just put them together.

The double shuttle picture was obviously a photoshop job. Not much meaning to compare these two pictures.

No, not a photoshop job... this was taken during the flow for STS-125 which required the LON vehicle to be on LC39-B simultaneously.

Here look for yourself better quality: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Space_shuttles_Atlantis_(STS-125)_and_Endeavour_(STS-400)_on_launch_pads.jpg
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Terra Incognita

• Dublin
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 35
So what recovery vessel was getting AOS and why?

Offline cebri

• Spain
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 181
Someone posted a picture of both Falcon 9 and FH on the pads. I had an old picture saved that I combined with the new one. These aren't my pictures - I just put them together.

The double shuttle picture was obviously a photoshop job. Not much meaning to compare these two pictures.

No, not a photoshop job... this was taken during the flow for STS-125 which required the LON vehicle to be on LC39-B simultaneously.

Here look for yourself better quality: 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Space_shuttles_Atlantis_(STS-125)_and_Endeavour_(STS-400)_on_launch_pads.jpg

:o :o

After columbia they always had another shuttle prepared in case anything went wrong, right? (Sorry for the OT)
"It's kind of amazing that a window of opportunity is open for life to beyond Earth, and we don't know how long this window is gonna be open" Elon Musk
"If you want to see an endangered species, get up and look in the mirror." John Young

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
RIP in pieces B1032...

Hints of it was a 3 engine landing burn in the update thread... (and in video playback audio timeline)
If they get that working... that's good... (saves prop with less gravity losses on landing burn)  8)
At staging... the velocity seemed a bit higher then typical...
...not sure on that however... (they left less in the S1 tanks?)

SO... RIP B1032... but I hope they got good data before you RUD'd...  :-\
« Last Edit: 01/31/2018 08:48 pm by John Alan »

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 437
  • Likes Given: 15

If they was testing some landing profile they still need to clean up the rubish.

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
After columbia they always had another shuttle prepared in case anything went wrong, right? (Sorry for the OT)
This was a special case for the Hubble mission.  All other remaining missions were to the ISS, which could provide safe haven for a crew stuck with an Orbiter that was not cleared to reenter.

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 872
  • Likes Given: 333
Reminder, this is an updates thread. Questions and comments should go to the discussion thread http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36807
Also please hold your congrats till after the second S2 burn is successful...

I'm sure he meant 'after successful payload deploy'.

Offline agenttokyo

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 5
This was an odd one.  Kept mentioning not recovering, but then recovery ships were deployed?  Also, the nasaspaceflight article mentioned "As with December’s Iridium-NEXT launch, SpaceX will dispose of the older Block 3 booster by flying it in an expendable configuration without landing legs"  but the radio callout included stage 1 legs deployed.  I'm surprised there isn't a need for another sample of the effects on a 2nd use rocket.  Is re-use a gimmick?  Just not worth the risk/reward at this stage of development?  Anyway, yay nominal launch!

Offline Joffan

If they was testing some landing profile they still need to clean up the rubish.

No other launch provider cleans up their ditched stages. The recovery vessel was more likely there for telemetry and perhaps observation.
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline Oberon_Command

• Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 0
This was an odd one.  Kept mentioning not recovering, but then recovery ships were deployed?  Also, the nasaspaceflight article mentioned "As with December’s Iridium-NEXT launch, SpaceX will dispose of the older Block 3 booster by flying it in an expendable configuration without landing legs"  but the radio callout included stage 1 legs deployed.  I'm surprised there isn't a need for another sample of the effects on a 2nd use rocket.

There's been suggestions that they were doing a 3-engine landing burn. They may not want to risk losing the droneship if that went badly.

Is re-use a gimmick?  Just not worth the risk/reward at this stage of development?

Not sure how you get either of those ideas from SpaceX expending the soon-to-be-obsolescent block 3 boosters in interesting ways.

Offline The_Ronin

• Master of Servers, Big and Small
  • *nix engineer & space geek
  • Nashville, TN
  • Liked: 180
  • Likes Given: 209
Going by the cadence of the callouts from burn to legs to splashdown, I'm going with the 3 engine suicide burn.  Have they ever landed one of those, yet?  I remember SES-9 punching a nice hole in OCISLY when they tried it then.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
[Tweet from Eric Berger]:
So that's how a payload adapter is supposed to work.

Offline ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
Going by the cadence of the callouts from burn to legs to splashdown, I'm going with the 3 engine suicide burn.  Have they ever landed one of those, yet?  I remember SES-9 punching a nice hole in OCISLY when they tried it then.

AFAIK, they never performed a complete landing using a 3 engine burn, it was at most 3 engines for a portion of the landing burn and then a switch to the "normal", single-engine landing.

Offline Joffan

Another perfect deployment by SpaceX's payload adapter ;-)
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
[Tweet from Eric Berger]:
So that's how a payload adapter is supposed to work.

Oh, come now, Eric; that's just a low blow!
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online LouScheffer

• Liked: 6110
  • Likes Given: 837
Judging from the webcast telemetry:

Velocity at cutoff = 35980 km/hr = 9994 m/s.

Add in 402 m/s for Earth rotation (this is not included since velocity is shown as 0 at launch)

That's the speed for a 250 x 51500 km orbit.  So definitely super-synchronous....

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography