Author Topic: ROK MND: Goche Yeollyo Uju Balsache - S-STEP - December 4, 2023 05:00 UTC  (Read 6679 times)

Online Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 922
  • Likes Given: 168
Now it would be nice if we could also get the name of the vehicle.

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1827
  • Likes Given: 1280

It is up to you to name it. The rest of the world will adopt the name given on your website.
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Per machine translation: The satellite launched was not in South Korea MoD’s original plans for this test flight, but rocket co-developer Hanhwa Aerospace approached them with their own SAR prototype satellite (apparently named S-STEP) waiting for a ride, and both agreed to replace the planned dummy payload with it. The MoD calls it a “win-win” situation.

https://m.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20231204088651504?input=tw
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

USSF 18SDS has confirmed objects reached orbit:
2023-188A/58500 (S-STEP): 636 x 653 km x 46.98°
2023-188B/58501 (rocket final stage): 424 x 653 km x 46.92°
« Last Edit: 12/04/2023 12:47 pm by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4646
  • Likes Given: 768
Their is reportedly an undisclosedable internal name but not a public one. The internal name is replaced by the placeholder description name given to the media that is also in the redacted versions of national defense budget.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80116
  • Likes Given: 36283
https://twitter.com/tskelso/status/1731734753966235940

CelesTrak has GP data for 2 objects from the launch (2023-188) of a synthetic aperture radar satellite atop a solid-fuel rocket from a floating barge off Jeju Island on Dec 4 at 0500 UTC: en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN202312…. Data for the launch can be found at: https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/table.php?INTDES=2023-188

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4646
  • Likes Given: 768
https://twitter.com/tskelso/status/1731734753966235940

CelesTrak has GP data for 2 objects from the launch (2023-188) of a synthetic aperture radar satellite atop a solid-fuel rocket from a floating barge off Jeju Island on Dec 4 at 0500 UTC: en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN202312…. Data for the launch can be found at: https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/table.php?INTDES=2023-188
I want to point out that it was not floating during the launch countdown. The barge deployed its piles and jacked itself out of the water to a comparable height of Scouts San Marco Platform. Also it is not a barge, instead it was built from a converted Oil Exploration and construction platform design.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7766
  • Likes Given: 7279

I want to point out that it was not floating during the launch countdown. The barge deployed its piles and jacked itself out of the water to a comparable height of Scouts San Marco Platform. Also it is not a barge, instead it was built from a converted Oil Exploration and construction platform design.

I thought that too. Good catch.  On the video of the previous launch from that deck, the rocket's thrust caused water to shoot up very close to hitting the launch vehicle (LV), with one stream of water even surpassing the height of the rocket. I am curious about how the Super Heavy booster could be launched from a converted oil platform without causing a significant amount of water to shoot up into the sky, potentially affecting the buoyancy of the rig. This concern arises especially if the legs of the platform are not in contact with or anchored to the seabed.

For this rocket from Korea, a flame diverty (like the one on SeaLaunch) would doo the trick, but not for SH/SS.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2023 11:02 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
Does anyone have the coordinates of the launch location?
And is this the same platform which was used for the suborbital test launches?

Does anyone have the coordinates of the launch location?
And is this the same platform which was used for the suborbital test launches?

This article from just after the delay on November 29 gives the launch position as near Haye-dong, Seogwipo city in SW Jeju island. Another article from launch day puts the actual location as "4 km offshore".

So it's probably somewhere near 33° 13' N, 126° 22' E. I've already asked Harry Stranger @ NSF to help with finding the actual location via satellite photos.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8431
  • Likes Given: 1335
This is an impressive achievement, and little remarked!  I'm calling it Solid Fuel Space Rocket (SFSR) for now, since that is the language in one of the press releases.   I wonder if it is derived from the Hyunmoo-5 missile.  I wonder about its diameter and GLOW.  I wonder if that drawing accurately shows that this was still a sub-scale (short) first stage compared to the upcoming four-stage rocket.  All of this South Korean solid motor work only dates back a few years.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 12/05/2023 03:50 pm by edkyle99 »

Online Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
This is an impressive achievement, and little remarked!  I'm calling it Solid Fuel Space Rocket (SFSR) for now, since that is the language in one of the press releases.   

I have chosen to follow Jonathan McDowells proposal and to use the Korean expression "Goche Yeollyo Uju Balsache" (고체연료 우주발사체) ("Solid Fuel Space Launcher" or "SFSL") for this vehicle. As an short form, I use "GYUB".
At least until the real name becomes known someday.

I wonder if it is derived from the Hyunmoo-5 missile.  I wonder about its diameter and GLOW.

Hanwha has published the dimensions of their SAR SAT as 197cm length, 106cm width and 20cm height. Therefore the rocket diameter has to be in the 2.3 to 2.4m diameter ballpark. I have no solid information on the diameter of the Hyunmoo-5 missile, but IMHO it is most likely that the rocket motors are derived from this missile.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1227
  • Likes Given: 755
S-STEP now called Doory-Sat on Space-track.org
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech