Author Topic: Kathy Lueders hired as General Manager at Starbase  (Read 12996 times)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25206
  • Likes Given: 12104
Re: Kathy Lueders hired as General Manager at Starbase
« Reply #40 on: 05/18/2023 12:32 am »
Someone with long experience in the space field is brings a pretty valuable perspective to a company like SpaceX that is full of largely young engineers (although the company is now over 20 years old…).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline steveleach

• Liked: 2737
  • Likes Given: 952
« Reply #41 on: 05/18/2023 07:36 am »
Someone with long experience in the space field is brings a pretty valuable perspective to a company like SpaceX that is full of largely young engineers (although the company is now over 20 years old…).
When I look at the crowds of employees in the launch live-streams I'm always amazed by how young most of them seem to be, but there are always a fair number of older employees in there as well (you notice them less because they tend to be more understated in their reactions).

I suspect SpaceX have managed to build a culture where the older employees value the younger ones for their drive and creativity, and the younger ones value the older ones for their calmness and experience.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18060
  • Likes Given: 12086
« Reply #42 on: 05/18/2023 08:05 pm »
That revolving door keeps on swinging.

Everyone likes spaceX, but if this she had helped blue origin and then gone to work there, everyone would be crying foul.

Note: I don't mean to impune Luder's credentials or the work she has done. I think she made the right calls while working for NASA. However, this just feels a bit odd.

Did you issue a similar view when Gerst went to work for SpaceX?

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #43 on: 05/18/2023 08:13 pm »
Doesn't the US have revolving door rules?

Yes, there are such rules involving ethics.  And honestly, I don't know how people get around them!  Technically, she cannot work for SpaceX in any area where she 'determined' any financial award to/for SpaceX for 1 year after retirement.  (The actual wording may be slightly different...)  So if she's managing the Starship program, she would be in some type of violation pretty clearly.  But if she's managing Starbase, and has no operational authority over Starship, she may well be fine.  I suspect there is some form of work rule in place so that she is technically within the rule of law.  I mean, isn't that the reason corporate lawyers have a job, anyway?

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/41/2104

Since being moved to HEO, did she have any involvement in any contracts to SpaceX?

Since HEOMD was split, Lueders only had involvement with the CRS and CCP contracts. Which she is NOT working on now that she is at SpaceX.

Lueders awarded HLS Option A to SpaceX in april 2021. That's over two years ago. But her involvement with HLS Starship ended 1.5 years ago, when HEOMD was split and Lueders was assigned to the part that runs only CRS and CCP. So, for the past 1.5 years, she has not had any involvement with Starship. As far as government rules go, she is in the clear because of that.
« Last Edit: 05/18/2023 08:25 pm by woods170 »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #44 on: 05/18/2023 08:24 pm »
Kathy Lueders was top boss of Space Operations Mission Directorate and program manager of CCP (IOW: cargo and crew missions to the ISS). At SpaceX she will be the new boss of Starship vehicle development at Starbase. No ties with either CCP or Space Operations Mission Directorate because Starship is not involved in ISS operations.

If I'm understanding correctly, this seems pretty wild.  Gerst was given what seems a small organization and I've been impressed with what he has done -- the proof is in the pudding.  But boss of Starship vehicle development sounds like it is head of a much larger organization.  What hardware has she developed in the past?  I'm genuinely curious and a little skeptical of NASA bureaucrat types, not really knowing much about her specifically.  Is she that good?
She is managing...not developing.  Those are two totally different skills.  IMO this is way more about NASA knowledge/connections more then anything else.  She knows the bureaucracy better then most.

Exactly. Lueders was hired because she knows how to manage a development program. Remember: she was program manager for CCP (mainly a development program in its first six years) and she was integration manager for COTS (which was 100% a development program). She also knows a thing or two about managing an ops organization: she managed the operational successor to COTS, which was CRS, which was mostly an ops program. After HEOMD was split she landed as manager in the program office responsible for running the operational CRS and CCP programs.

So, Lueders is well versed in running both development and operational programs. Her experience in both these fields is a major win for SpaceX, and will mostly lighten the burden for Gwynne Shotwell. The latter had a little too much on her plate in recent years.

Offline Negan

• Southwest
  • Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 529
« Reply #45 on: 05/18/2023 08:37 pm »
Kathy Lueders was top boss of Space Operations Mission Directorate and program manager of CCP (IOW: cargo and crew missions to the ISS). At SpaceX she will be the new boss of Starship vehicle development at Starbase. No ties with either CCP or Space Operations Mission Directorate because Starship is not involved in ISS operations.

Now it makes sense why SpaceX took the picture of Starship docking with ISS off their website. I'm sure it what just a concept anyway, but why muddy the waters.

Offline alugobi

• Liked: 1543
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: 05/18/2023 08:41 pm »
That revolving door keeps on swinging.

Everyone likes spaceX
You don't.

« Reply #47 on: 09/13/2023 05:51 pm »
Hi Kathy! (From latest SpaceX tweet)

« Reply #48 on: 09/14/2023 03:55 pm »
Apparently Kathy was speaking this morning at SPI about starship, FAA license progress, etc. First time I think she has publically spoken since joining SpaceX. 2 videos posted on X by SpacePadre, they are downloadable below.

Edit: Total of 7 videos were posted (so far), I have edited them all together with short breaks in between clips.

https://x.com/SpacePadreIsle/status/1702328968500908412?s=20

« Last Edit: 09/14/2023 05:35 pm by spacenuance »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography