Author Topic: Kathy Lueders hired as General Manager at Starbase  (Read 12930 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80124
  • Likes Given: 36283
Old thread for Kathy Leuders updates and discussion: Kathy Lueders: new Associate Administrator for Human Exploration and Operations.  That thread now includes the news of her recent retirement from NASA.

Post updates and discussion of her new job in this thread.

https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1658127208932679681

Scoop – @KathyLueders, former top NASA human spaceflight official, joined SpaceX, according to CNBC sources.

Lueders is based at Starbase in Texas and will report directly to president & COO Gwynne Shotwell:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/15/elon-musks-spacex-hires-former-nasa-official-kathy-lueders.html
« Last Edit: 05/17/2023 03:00 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 736
Re: Kathy Lueders hired as General Manager at Starbase
« Reply #1 on: 05/15/2023 03:14 pm »
https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1658127208932679681

Scoop – @KathyLueders, former top NASA human spaceflight official, joined SpaceX, according to CNBC sources.

Lueders is based at Starbase in Texas and will report directly to president & COO Gwynne Shotwell:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/15/elon-musks-spacex-hires-former-nasa-official-kathy-lueders.html

Gwen is a rock star for this grab. Bravo Gwen & Congrats 👏 Kathy

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25173
  • Likes Given: 12102
« Reply #2 on: 05/15/2023 03:28 pm »
Gwynne, not Gwen, but yup.

It should be noted that SpaceX now directly employs almost as many people as NASA. Over 12,000 SpaceX employees and under 18,000 NASA civil servants.

If you count only space related civil servants (not aeronautics or Earth science, etc), SpaceX probably has more employees.
« Last Edit: 05/15/2023 03:31 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 2892
  • Likes Given: 504
« Reply #3 on: 05/15/2023 03:45 pm »
Awesome news.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: 05/15/2023 03:49 pm »
It strikes me as a tone change at Starbase. No longer cowboy rocketry and exploding prototypes but a maturing space launch system with adults in charge. Scarily competent adults (who also aren’t bought into “defense contractors always know best”).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline M.E.T.

• Liked: 2892
  • Likes Given: 504
« Reply #5 on: 05/15/2023 04:11 pm »
It strikes me as a tone change at Starbase. No longer cowboy rocketry and exploding prototypes but a maturing space launch system with adults in charge. Scarily competent adults (who also aren’t bought into “defense contractors always know best”).

Agree on the steady maturation of the program. It was inevitable once they progressed far enough.

Not sure who the “adults” above are being juxtaposed against, though. There always has been - and will be - only one person in charge overall. A person who happens to trust and respect Gwynne and, from what I read, Kathy too, greatly.

What an awesome team.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #6 on: 05/15/2023 04:30 pm »
I meant managing Starbase in particular, not the overall company.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: 05/15/2023 04:50 pm »
Kathy Leuders and Gwynne Shotwell are, I think, almost exactly the same age, about 59. They probably will get along well.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2372
  • Likes Given: 10133
« Reply #8 on: 05/15/2023 04:56 pm »
Interesting.  Would she be on the payload/ship side rather than the rocket side?  As in, she would not be in charge of all of Starbase.

Online mn

• United States
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 318
« Reply #9 on: 05/15/2023 05:06 pm »
IIRC it was Kathy that got SpaceX the CRS contract, which essentially saved SpaceX at the time.

It could be fair to say without Kathy SpaceX may not have survived.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2016/04/without-nasa-there-would-be-no-spacex-and-its-brilliant-boat-landing/

That fall and early winter marked the darkest hours for the cash-strapped Musk, as both SpaceX and Tesla spent hundreds of millions of dollars on development, with little revenue to show for it ... The economy worsened that fall, and by December, Musk's money had run out and he'd tapped all the loans he could.

Then, two days before Christmas of 2008, NASA announced it was awarding commercial cargo contracts to Orbital Sciences  for 19 flights and SpaceX for 12 flights ... That contract allowed SpaceX to finish the Falcon 9 rocket and build the Dragon spacecraft

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21317
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #10 on: 05/15/2023 05:15 pm »

It should be noted that SpaceX now directly employs almost as many people as NASA. Over 12,000 SpaceX employees and under 18,000 NASA civil servants.

If you count only space related civil servants (not aeronautics or Earth science, etc), SpaceX probably has more employees.

But you can't compare just civil servants.  NASA uses contractors not just to do the actual hands on work with flight hardware.  NASA has contractors in HR, IT, janitorial, facility maintenance, security, fire and rescue, program office support, etc

For example, LSP has around 160 civil servant but with contractor support it is around 550.

Online chopsticks

• Québec, Canada
  • Liked: 1075
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #11 on: 05/15/2023 05:23 pm »

But you can't compare just civil servants.  NASA uses contractors not just to do the actual hands on work with flight hardware.  NASA has contractors in HR, IT, janitorial, facility maintenance, security, fire and rescue, program office support, etc

For example, LSP has around 160 civil servant but with contractor support it is around 550.
Doesn't SpaceX do the same though? If I understand right, there are a lot of subcontractors that SpaceX uses as well, for example the concrete pouring and the pile driving at the launch site currently.

I might be wrong though, down clarification would be nice.

Really cool about Kathy, BTW.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21317
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #12 on: 05/15/2023 05:46 pm »
Doesn't SpaceX do the same though? If I understand right, there are a lot of subcontractors that SpaceX uses as well, for example the concrete pouring and the pile driving at the launch site currently.

Nobody does construction in house.  I am talking about running a facility and launching rockets.

Online chopsticks

• Québec, Canada
  • Liked: 1075
  • Likes Given: 164
« Reply #13 on: 05/15/2023 06:04 pm »

Nobody does construction in house.  I am talking about running a facility and launching rockets.
Oh, I see. Thanks.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #14 on: 05/15/2023 07:55 pm »

Well aware, but good point. SpaceX also has contractors for some of that stuff, but not to the same extent that NASA does.

My point was just that SpaceX is a huge employer now, the biggest US employer in human spaceflight outside of NASA.

Not terribly surprising she would be hired there, just due to raw numbers.
« Last Edit: 05/15/2023 08:01 pm by Robotbeat »

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1784
  • Likes Given: 1287
« Reply #15 on: 05/15/2023 10:35 pm »
<snip>

Heh, I predicted Lueders will joined SpaceX when she retired from NASA.

Wonder how long before Kathy Lueders join Bill Gerstenmaier at SpaceX?

Thinking about it. It seems Lueders probably have a deal with SpaceX before the retirement announcement. Since the news of her joining SpaceX is only 15 days after her retirement from NASA.  ;)
« Last Edit: 05/16/2023 12:35 am by Zed_Noir »

Offline Hamish.Student

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #16 on: 05/16/2023 02:12 am »
Kathy Lueders, the most recent top human spaceflight official at NASA, has joined Elon Musk’s SpaceX after retiring from the agency a couple of weeks ago, CNBC has learned.

Lueders’ role will be general manager, and she will work out of the company’s “Starbase” facility in Texas, reporting directly to SpaceX president and COO Gwynne Shotwell, people familiar with the matter told CNBC.

It’s a key hire for SpaceX as the company aims to make its massive Starship rocket safe to fly people in the coming years. Lueders, a respected expert in the sector, is already familiar with the company’s human spaceflight work to date.

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #17 on: 05/16/2023 04:23 am »
Being discussed here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=58523.msg2469962#msg2469962

[zubenelgenubi: Three threads merged.]
« Last Edit: 05/17/2023 02:46 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Hamish.Student

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #18 on: 05/16/2023 04:30 am »
Being discussed here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=58523.msg2469962#msg2469962

A strange location, I certainly couldn't find it. Surely as it is related to Starbase and Starship as a whole, it belongs in this section?

Offline DigitalMan

• Liked: 1168
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #19 on: 05/16/2023 04:50 am »
Since Kathy's responsibilities managing Starbase are now different than the scope of Artemis HLS only, I would agree with it belonging here.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography