Poll

When will the first fully-operational Starship launch take place?

2H 2023
3 (3.3%)
1H 2024
18 (19.8%)
2H 2024
28 (30.8%)
1H 2025
14 (15.4%)
2H 2025
17 (18.7%)
1H 2026
9 (9.9%)
2H 2026
0 (0%)
1H 2027
1 (1.1%)
2H 2027
0 (0%)
Later
0 (0%)
Never
1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Voting closed: 05/28/2023 11:32 pm

Author Topic: Starship first fully-operational launch  (Read 7226 times)

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1698
  • Likes Given: 6849
Re: Starship first fully-operational launch
« Reply #20 on: 05/03/2023 07:02 pm »
Is not requiring a relaunch really an "fully operational launch"? 

No difference between the "operational" tag and the flight test we just witnessed.
Paul

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3578
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #21 on: 05/03/2023 07:19 pm »
Is not requiring a relaunch really an "fully operational launch"? 

No difference between the "operational" tag and the flight test we just witnessed.

It just means they may, or may not choose to refurbish and re-launch, or not, depending on condition, version upgrades and so on.

And, yes, "operational" is quite different than what we just witnessed, in every single way (successful mission delivery to orbit, safe return of both vehicles).

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25206
  • Likes Given: 12104
« Reply #22 on: 05/04/2023 05:11 pm »
I think you’re using a higher bar for “operational” than other vehicles. Which is fine, as SpaceX kind of set that bar pretty high.

In fact, you could arguably insist it’s not truly operational until it both has fully recovery (and reuse) AND a mission to deliver a payload that requires refueling (not Artemis but arguably like a direct to GSO type mission like with Viasat-3).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3578
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #23 on: 05/04/2023 10:14 pm »
I think you’re using a higher bar for “operational” than other vehicles. Which is fine, as SpaceX kind of set that bar pretty high.

In fact, you could arguably insist it’s not truly operational until it both has fully recovery (and reuse) AND a mission to deliver a payload that requires refueling (not Artemis but arguably like a direct to GSO type mission like with Viasat-3).

I just thought it would be unfair to set it that high.  So I just made what to me is a reasonable choice for this design.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25206
  • Likes Given: 12104
« Reply #24 on: 05/04/2023 10:18 pm »

I just thought it would be unfair to set it that high.  So I just made what to me is a reasonable choice for this design.
I’m not sure it’ll make much time difference as they might actually demonstrate refueling for Artemis before they have recovered both stages successfully.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 1347
« Reply #25 on: 05/05/2023 05:30 am »
It seems I was thinking much more minimally "operational" than most people on this thread. That's the only reason I went 1H 2024 (which could still be over a year away).

1) by successfully conducting an operational mission I took to mean the already-proposed mission where there is transfer of propellant between tanks on the same Starship.
2) Returning Starship to land I took to mean that an earlier mission would have successfully landed Starship on an ASDS in the Gulf of Mexico with SN12-style legs, and returning to port as with the F9 boosters. Doing this would validate the landing accuracy needed to attempt a tower catch with superheavy, and another ASDS landing of Starship would meet the requirement here.
3) Can't really tell if there's room for an ASDS to dock on the south side of the Brownsville shipping channel, but returning Starship from an ASDS to Starbase via Boca Chica Boulevard seems within the realms of possibility.

Really does depend on how the next launch goes.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography