Author Topic: SpaceX Emergency Operations at Boca Chica / Starbase  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Hamish.Student

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 464
Another topic I can fascinated by, worth of a dedicated topic as I feel we are just getting started.

We know that there is the old Pointer residence that is used as the Emergency Op's complex, this has atleast an old fire engine that was marked SpaceX. I assume this is run by company personnel for response to company events. I wonder if they can be used by the county for say, a wildfire unrelated to SpaceX if needed. Would they respond to a SpaceX-owned residential fire? A non-SpaceX-owned residential fire?

Another thing I have noticed is the SpaceX Security Tesla, it runs Red and Blue lights. I've wondered about the legalities of this.

Todays(12/OCT/22, https://youtu be/DOy2rQxjPcY?t=377) update video showed a visit to BC by a medivac chopper, featured was a "SpaceX Emergency Transit" van. I wonder if we are seeing a proto-EMS pop-up. I wonder if there is potential for a full on volunteer/corporate Fire/EMS response/stations. 

So, some questions to get the thread rolling:

What is the future of emergency ops at Boca?
Under what authority does the SpaceX Security Tesla use red/blue lights in a non-LEO capacity?
Will we see further development at the Pointer lot, more facilities for firefighting/EMS use?
« Last Edit: 10/23/2022 11:31 am by Hamish.Student »

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1794
  • Likes Given: 1292
Re: SpaceX Emergency Operations at Boca Chica / Starbase
« Reply #1 on: 10/23/2022 10:45 pm »
AIUI SpaceX want to incoporated Starbase as a town. Which usually require some emergency response capability. So a proper fire department, EMS response personnel & law enforcement personnel need to be station inside the Starbase territory eventually with adequate facilities.

The one used fire truck currently is totally inadequate for possible contingencies, IMO.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1827
  • Likes Given: 8670
« Reply #2 on: 10/23/2022 10:58 pm »
I don't know about Texas, but small towns in my state can (and often do), contract with local Sheriffs and Fire Protection Districts for emergency services, sometimes full-time, sometimes part-time. Each town runs the trades for budget, insurance, etc. and acts accordingly.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Hamish.Student

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 464
« Reply #3 on: 10/24/2022 03:27 am »
AIUI SpaceX want to incoporated Starbase as a town. Which usually require some emergency response capability. So a proper fire department, EMS response personnel & law enforcement personnel need to be station inside the Starbase territory eventually with adequate facilities.

The one used fire truck currently is totally inadequate for possible contingencies, IMO.

Emphasis mine. I agree with the points highlighted, and is precisely why this thread exists. I foresee an explosion in the aforementioned capabilities soon, now we have somewhere to chat about it all :)

I don't know about Texas, but small towns in my state can (and often do), contract with local Sheriffs and Fire Protection Districts for emergency services, sometimes full-time, sometimes part-time. Each town runs the trades for budget, insurance, etc. and acts accordingly.

I wonder if the Sheriff charges for the roadblock time.

Online KilroySmith

• Phoenix, AZ, USA
  • Liked: 407
  • Likes Given: 196
« Reply #4 on: 10/24/2022 03:11 pm »
Almost certainly.  The only other option is that SpaceX has the authority to close the road without the Sheriff being involved, and directly contracts with off-duty law enforcement to man the roadblock. 
In either case, there's some nice overtime pay for the officers who get the assignment.

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 436
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #5 on: 10/30/2022 07:09 pm »

Emphasis mine. I agree with the points highlighted, and is precisely why this thread exists. I foresee an explosion in the aforementioned capabilities soon, now we have somewhere to chat about it all :)

For the vast majority of cases that would happen on a day to day basis 1 fire engine is fine small fires, BA rescues etc. If the was a situation like a Major fire then one engine can get there quickly and start while back up get there is better than none at all. 

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
« Reply #6 on: 10/31/2022 03:07 am »
<snip>
For the vast majority of cases that would happen on a day to day basis 1 fire engine is fine small fires, BA rescues etc. If the was a situation like a Major fire then one engine can get there quickly and start while back up get there is better than none at all.
You do realize the back up comes from the city of Brownsville or the port of Brownsville on a 2 lane highway with transit time of at least 45 minutes.

Offline EL_DIABLO

• Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #7 on: 10/31/2022 10:02 am »
<snip>
You do realize the back up comes from the city of Brownsville or the port of Brownsville on a 2 lane highway with transit time of at least 45 minutes.

25-30 minutes not 45.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
« Reply #8 on: 11/01/2022 04:56 am »
<snip>

25-30 minutes not 45.
Maybe for a single car. Definitely longer for a convoy of fire trucks and other emergency response vehicles after you assembled the convoy and have traffic control in place.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography