Poll

First to deploy their constellation...Generation 2 Starlink or Kuiper First?

Starlink Gen 2
25 (86.2%)
Kuiper Gen 1
4 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: 09/05/2022 01:45 am

Author Topic: First to deploy their constellation...Generation 2 Starlink or Kuiper First?  (Read 6240 times)

Offline Tywin

The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Offline AmigaClone

I voted that Kuiper gen 1 has a chance of being fully launched before Starlink gen 2 (the 30,000 satellite constellation).

The reason is because I have not seen evidence that Starlink gen2 has been approved yet. Also, for now at least, SpaceX does not have permission to launch from Boca Chica, and the other potential launch sites are between the status of unfinished and not yet started.

Offline c4fusion

• Sleeper Service
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 169
I voted that Kuiper gen 1 has a chance of being fully launched before Starlink gen 2 (the 30,000 satellite constellation).

The reason is because I have not seen evidence that Starlink gen2 has been approved yet. Also, for now at least, SpaceX does not have permission to launch from Boca Chica, and the other potential launch sites are between the status of unfinished and not yet started.

Interesting, I read the OP as launching the first satellite of either Starlink gen 2 or Kuiper.  That being said, Starlink gen 2 is not the 30k satelites but rather filling out the 11k current slots with the giant Starship launched ones that are being launched soon(tm).

Offline AmigaClone

Interesting, I read the OP as launching the first satellite of either Starlink gen 2 or Kuiper.  That being said, Starlink gen 2 is not the 30k satelites but rather filling out the 11k current slots with the giant Starship launched ones that are being launched soon(tm).

Actually, per the documents filed with the FCC, SpaceX has consistently referred to Gen2 as the 30k satellite constellation, and the Starlink Gen 1 as the one being currently deployed.

Online Craigles

Last night's T-Mobile and SpaceX "Coverage Above and Beyond" announcement adds complexity to Gen 2. See cross-post:
Deserves own thread for the event and announcement(s):

I still think some form of Gen 2 will launch in 2022.
I'd rather be here now

Offline Alvian@IDN

Looks like we'll get an answer in less than 24 hours
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline Tommyboy

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 598
And the answer has been given:
https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=sl5-1-pl
On Wednesday, December 28 at 4:34 a.m. ET, SpaceX launched 54 Starlink satellites to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 40 (SLC-40) at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.

This was the eleventh launch and landing for this Falcon 9 first stage booster, which previously launched GPS III Space Vehicle 04, GPS III Space Vehicle 05, Inspiration4, Ax-1, Nilesat 301, and now six Starlink missions.

This launch marked the first of Starlink’s upgraded network. Under our new license, we are now able to deploy satellites to new orbits that will add even more capacity to the network. Ultimately, this enables us to add more customers and provide faster service – particularly in areas that are currently over-subscribed.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9097
  • Likes Given: 885
SpaceX is sort of cheating by launching v1 satellite into Gen2 orbit.

But then again this poll itself is full of ambiguity, like what does it mean by "first to deploy", does Kuiper test satellites count, etc.

Online mandrewa

• Liked: 440
  • Likes Given: 8123
SpaceX is sort of cheating by launching v1 satellite into Gen2 orbit.

But then again this poll itself is full of ambiguity, like what does it mean by "first to deploy", does Kuiper test satellites count, etc.

Yes, but if we do count the two initial prototype Kuiper satellites as Gen 1, then SpaceX may still put up version 2.0 satellites before “KuiperSat-1” and “KuiperSat-2” are launched by ABL Space Systems.

And if we don't count the Kuiper test satellites as Gen 1 (which would be my interpretation) then SpaceX will definitely, barring some catastrophe, put up its Gen 2 satellites first.

Offline Alvian@IDN

Looks like we finally have an actual winner...
« Last Edit: 03/03/2023 09:55 pm by Alvian@IDN »
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25169
  • Likes Given: 12100
No need to be cryptic. Say what you mean, with a link.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Online trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 2120
  • Likes Given: 57
No need to be cryptic. Say what you mean, with a link.
Starlink launch 6-1 (which took place on Monday of this week) carried 21 Starlink v2 Mini satellites. Unless Kuiper had a stealth launch I'm unaware of, that would make Starlink the winner here.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography