Poll

Will Astra survive till 2026?

Yes
14 (17.5%)
No
66 (82.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: 12/10/2022 11:29 am

Author Topic: Will Astra survive till 2026?  (Read 10589 times)

Online trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 2120
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: Will Astra survive till 2026?
« Reply #20 on: 08/28/2023 09:32 pm »
Perhaps I was being too optimistic about "the satellite thruster business gets auctioned off." I guess they probably still have at least some equipment that's valuable, much like Virgin Orbit's headquarters/factory?

Offline niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 2033
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #21 on: 08/28/2023 10:33 pm »
With the Apollo situation, Astra has effectively just declared bankruptcy.

In order to keep the initial price down, Astra agreed on payments to employees and the former owners as Apollo reached milestones, almost $100 million cash in total. They just offered a settlement of $7 million, or $2 million in cash and the rest in stock instead.

That's their biggest debt being settled at 7 cents on the dollar...
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline dglow

• Liked: 2270
  • Likes Given: 4378
« Reply #22 on: 08/28/2023 11:49 pm »
https://techcrunch.com/2023/08/28/astras-apollo-fusion-acquisition-followed-by-delays-and-desertion/

Astraís Apollo Fusion acquisition followed by delays and desertion
Staff departures and overly optimistic delivery timelines impact Astraís engine ambitions

Aria Alamalhodaei

@breadfrom / 10:12 PM GMT+1ēAugust 28, 2023

SMDH here

If accurate, Astra bought the business only to ignore its people. I canít think of many industries where human capital is more important. Moreover, Apollo Fusionís acquisition may only have been a convenient sink for SPAC $$ in order to claim Ďdiversificationí. Sigh.

Iíve long wondered/hoped, against intuition, whether it was possible that Kemp & Co. were just dealt the unluckiest of hands Ö repeatedly. Turns out, Kemp is the CEO with no clothes, at least when it comes to people and team, in which case Astraís series of unfortunate events makes perfect sense.

Minus Astra, sigh.
« Last Edit: 08/29/2023 01:01 pm by dglow »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #23 on: 08/29/2023 01:08 am »
Perhaps I was being too optimistic about "the satellite thruster business gets auctioned off." I guess they probably still have at least some equipment that's valuable, much like Virgin Orbit's headquarters/factory?
Customers must be getting worried and probably looking to switch engine suppliers. Not straight forward as it would mean major redesign of satellite bus.

Online Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1778
  • Likes Given: 1281
« Reply #24 on: 08/29/2023 02:33 pm »
Customers must be getting worried and probably looking to switch engine suppliers. Not straight forward as it would mean major redesign of satellite bus.
Maybe it time for a major player to acquire Astra to wind up the non Apollo Fusion thruster business. Otherwise finding alternate thrusters will likely lead to inquires at Hawthorne, who is currently the largest US producer of thrusters AFAIK.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25169
  • Likes Given: 12100
« Reply #25 on: 08/29/2023 06:48 pm »
Busek is another provider.

I think Astra isnít dead yet. Having a capability to build a bunch of missilesrockets cheaply and in very large numbers is valuable.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #26 on: 08/29/2023 09:54 pm »

I think Astra isnít dead yet. Having a capability to build a bunch of missilesrockets cheaply and in very large numbers is valuable.
Military gave up on LOX fuelled missiles in 60s. The benefit was these obsolete missiles turned into basis for LVs.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25169
  • Likes Given: 12100
« Reply #27 on: 08/29/2023 10:05 pm »

Military gave up on LOX fuelled missiles in 60s. The benefit was these obsolete missiles turned into basis for LVs.
where did I mention liquid oxygen? Draper is a storable version of the Hadley engine from Ursa Major. Ursa Major already is an engine provider for Astra
« Last Edit: 08/29/2023 10:06 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography