Author Topic: New, ROK MND multipurpose launcher family: Goche Yeollyo Uju Balsache (GYUB) was tested  (Read 8450 times)

Offline Comet

• Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 21
Previously unknown program. Footage released by the Korean MOD

Offline Comet

• Liked: 130
  • Likes Given: 21

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 736
Nice, let North Korea know we are building more too.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 936
  • Likes Given: 171
Any information on name, configuration, launch site, etc?

Offline Conexion Espacial

• Liked: 3118
  • Likes Given: 2265
This is the description that is in the video uploaded on Youtube

The National Defense Science Research Institute (ADD) succeeded in the first test launch on March 30 to verify the performance of a solid-state propulsion space launch developed with purely Woori technology, with the presence of the Secretary of Defense and major figures from each county at the National Defense Science Research Institute on March 30.

In the future, our military recognizes that the space space is a key area that has a significant impact on national security, and will expand its defense space power based on jointity, including solid-powered space launches!
I publish information in Spanish about space and rockets.
www.x.com/conexionspacial

From what I can see, the "payload" that was deployed looks like some kind of test load or mass simulator?

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 277
From what I can see, the "payload" that was deployed looks like some kind of test load or mass simulator?
Indeed, from the timeline in the video, it is intended to be a three-stage (assuming stage "A" is another powered stage and not the payload itself) all solid fueled vehicle with a dummy mass simulator:

00:00~00:36 Exam view
00:36~00:49 moment of fire (ignition)
00:49~00:58 Fairing separation
00:58~01:23 Stage B/stage C separation
  (There was also an inter-stage separation event at 1:12)
01:23~01:33 Dummy (satellite separation)

Amazing that this is the first we've heard of this! The first stage had a quite small thrust-to-weight for a solid fueled stage. Other vehicles are usually quicker off the pad. Perhaps this is a test of stages 2 and 3, with the larger first stage still under development. That would also explain its rather squat aspect ratio.

Excerpt from one of the YouTube comments:
According to the Ministry of National Defense's announcement, stage b is at least 75-80 tons of thrust, but stage a may be at least 160 tons like Castor 120. So, is stage C a 30-ton class? If so, it may be said that this test firing was mainly an experiment of the Minuteman class and the Peacekeeper class. Since the payload is already more than 1 ton...

Have they given it a name?
« Last Edit: 03/30/2022 02:39 pm by IanO »
psas.pdx.edu

Does anyone know if 18PCS detected any of this launch?

Offline Mahurora

• Germany
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 29
Development of this LV has been public for quite a while, for a year or two at least iirc. It's based on Hyunmoo SRBM tech/motors which is the reason ADD is the main developer. It can launch 500kg to LEO and is primarily meant for military satellite launches during peacetime and wartime, especially emergency wartime launches of small sats. The test launch was carried out with a shortened test LV without the first stage from what I've heard. Guess it's also representative from its proportion.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

Another (sub-orbital, per MoD) test flight was performed some hours ago that was observed from the whole of South Korea. Some photos seems to show staging was performed.

https://twitter.com/YonhapNews/status/1608782645969981443
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31905
  • Likes Given: 7828
Here's a photo of the launch on 30 March.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Mahurora

• Germany

footage of the second launch from late last year by Korean MoD.
« Last Edit: 06/09/2023 02:18 pm by Mahurora »

Offline Mahurora

• Germany
This rocket will have 4 stages in total, of which 3 upper stages were tested until last year. This year they will launch the full scale model afaik. Full launcher also features 8 boosters, as shown in the image below. It is an ADD program with Hanwha as primary contractor.

Two launches are planned for 2025 and 2026. Improved model with 1000kg payload to 500km SSO capacity will be launched in 2026 and 2027. I'm not sure if this "improved launcher" is the version with the 8 boosters.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

This rocket will have 4 stages in total, of which 3 upper stages were tested until last year. This year they will launch the full scale model afaik. Full launcher also features 8 boosters, as shown in the image below. It is an ADD program with Hanwha as primary contractor.

Two launches are planned for 2025 and 2026. Improved model with 1000kg payload to 500km SSO capacity will be launched in 2026 and 2027. I'm not sure if this "improved launcher" is the version with the 8 boosters.

Is the planned launch site identified in public sources?
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Mahurora

• Germany

Is the planned launch site identified in public sources?

There's a planned solid fuel/hybrid rocket launch site to be constructed in Naro by 2024, but I'm not sure if that launch site will be used since, like I've said, this is a MoD program, not KARI. There's a chance they'll continue to sea launch, though I think they most probably will be flexible in terms of the launch site. Using Naro Space Center wouldn't be that big of a problem.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8146
  • Likes Given: 7428
A second launch was conducted on Dec 3, 2023  here is the link to continue the story

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59910.0
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1828
  • Likes Given: 1288
A second launch was conducted on Dec 3, 2023  here is the link to continue the story

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59910.0

Third:

The first two flights in March and December 2022, respectively, tested the performance of three engines except the first-stage booster.
https://m-en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20231204002651315
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography