Author Topic: SpaceX Florida - Overall (Roberts Road to 39A and LC-49)  (Read 182753 times)

Offline Tangilinear Interjar

• California
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: SpaceX Florida - Overall (Roberts Road to 39A and LC-49)
« Reply #340 on: 04/19/2023 03:03 pm »
Without knowing what the weight of the road is designed to carry
Enough for the tower segments, which already travelled the road to LC-39A.

Enough with the crawlerway, there is zero reason whatsoever to ever use it for Starship.
Something that many people don't seem to understand about SPMT's is that they are all about distributing load and reducing ground pressure. They are often used to move huge things places where building a super though road isn't feasible.

These things are SUPER off-roaders (for essentially flat ground). Getting your toes run over by the SPMT hauling the Super Heavy is a lot less of an issue than if one of the tankers hauling LOx got you. Heck, the ground load is about 5 times less than my pickup truck.

Yes that's a whole hotel that they moved.

Offline alastairmayer

• Colorado
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 985
« Reply #341 on: 04/19/2023 03:16 pm »
Without knowing what the weight of the road is designed to carry
Enough for the tower segments, which already travelled the road to LC-39A.

Enough with the crawlerway, there is zero reason whatsoever to ever use it for Starship.
Something that many people don't seem to understand about SPMT's is that they are all about distributing load and reducing ground pressure. They are often used to move huge things places where building a super though road isn't feasible.

These things are SUPER off-roaders (for essentially flat ground). Getting your toes run over by the SPMT hauling the Super Heavy is a lot less of an issue than if one of the tankers hauling LOx got you. Heck, the ground load is about 5 times less than my pickup truck.

Yes that's a whole hotel that they moved.
Moving that hotel is pretty amazing by itself, but I want to know how they got it onto and off of the SPMTs!

Offline rsdavis9

Moving that hotel is pretty amazing by itself, but I want to know how they got it onto and off of the SPMTs!

lots of jacks!
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80124
  • Likes Given: 36283
« Reply #343 on: 05/05/2023 06:11 pm »
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1654516785750630402

Per Elon Musk's "We have some spares," had Starbase's launch site suffered major damage during Starship's launch (ref - full overview article: twitter.com/NASASpacefligh…), Roberts Road has some.

As seen in the latest flyover: youtube.com/watch?v=KaTanA…

Features pictures from Max (@_mgde_) and Julia (@julia_bergeron) with video from Brandon (@BrandonMWynn).

They have tower sections and Mechazilla chopsticks at Roberts Road (39A already has those at the pad) and there is also a new OLM (Orbital Launch Mount) ring at Hangar M at KSC.

Thankfully it appears they don't need any of those "spares," ahead of the next attempt, per Elon.

PS Check out the fancy STI trailer for scale.

Offline gsa

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #344 on: 06/07/2023 07:57 am »
Up until now, SpaceX processed its payloads at the Payload Processing Facility at the Cape a couple of miles south of SLC-40. With this new facility at Roberts Road, the company will be able to process payloads for even more missions at a time allowing faster cadence.
Is it the same building where boosters are refurbished? If so, how does the fairing leave the building? I haven't seen a door tall enough (no less than 15 meters AFAIU) there.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7892
  • Likes Given: 7355
« Reply #345 on: 06/07/2023 08:07 am »
Up until now, SpaceX processed its payloads at the Payload Processing Facility at the Cape a couple of miles south of SLC-40. With this new facility at Roberts Road, the company will be able to process payloads for even more missions at a time allowing faster cadence.
Is it the same building where boosters are refurbished? If so, how does the fairing leave the building? I haven't seen a door tall enough (no less than 15 meters AFAIU) there.

Refurbishment and transportation on its side.  Payload integration/encapsulation is perform vertical at Astrotec.
« Last Edit: 06/07/2023 08:09 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline gsa

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #346 on: 06/07/2023 08:13 am »

Refurbishment and transportation on its side.  Payload integration/encapsulation is perform vertical at Astrotec.
See the post I've quoted. It says now they are beginning to process payloads at Roberts Road. Hence the question. 

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7892
  • Likes Given: 7355
« Reply #347 on: 06/07/2023 08:20 am »

Refurbishment and transportation on its side.  Payload integration/encapsulation is performed vertically at Astrotec.
See the post I've quoted. It says now they are beginning to process payloads at Roberts Road. Hence the question. 

Correct, Jim will provide the answer you need.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #348 on: 07/25/2023 06:56 pm »
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1683910276091895809

New KSC/Cape flyover!

Covering construction of SpaceX's new crew access tower for Crew Dragon at SLC-40, Blue Origin's developments at Exploration Park and Launch Complex 36, and Amazon's Kuiper satellite integration, and more.

youtube.com/watch?v=yjpT9e…

Hosted by Matt (@badnewsbaron), joined by Max (@_mgde_) and Ryan (@dpoddolphinpro).

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #349 on: 08/22/2023 06:28 pm »

It's Been There All Along | Kennedy Space Center Flyover

NASASpaceflight
22 Aug 2023

Dive deep into the recent advancements at the Kennedy Space Center with Jack Beyer and the NSF team. In this Cape Flyover episode, we bring you exclusive insights into SpaceX's Roberts Road facility and Blue Origin's New Glenn progress. Don't miss out on the construction updates of crew access towers, launch pad activities, and intriguing details from our flyovers. Sponsored by Brilliant. Subscribe for more aerospace updates!

Offline Alexphysics

• Spain
  • Liked: 5821
  • Likes Given: 942
« Reply #350 on: 09/01/2023 10:53 am »

No, this is at the new HangarX2 building to the west. This is the former KSC Starship production facility and has been turned into a Payload Processing facility for Starlink missions. As for the other comment: SpaceX does not use Astrotech for their own payloads nor would they ever do that.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 10:53 am by Alexphysics »

Offline Alvian@IDN

No, this is at the new HangarX2 building to the west. This is the former KSC Starship production facility and has been turned into a Payload Processing facility for Starlink missions. As for the other comment: SpaceX does not use Astrotech for their own payloads nor would they ever do that.
That's....not a good news
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Maybe they realized they need a bigger building seeing what they are constructing in Boca. Should be fine, they have basically  twice as much empty land just north of the current Roberts Road facilities that they proposed to use for future operations, processing, fabrication, storage, etc. Would mean that starship manufacturing in Florida is still a long ways away, but that seems to be what SpaceX are heading for as is. Also there has been some land clearing a bit further north of Roberts Road, along Schwartz Road, thats not SpaceX is it?

Edit: Added screenshot of recent Sentinel imagery, outlined where SpaceX proposed to expand facilities in purple, red is new development that started a few months back that Im not sure what it is.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 04:03 am by spacenuance »

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 2741
  • Likes Given: 1840
« Reply #353 on: 09/05/2023 02:46 am »

Maybe they realized they need a bigger building seeing what they are constructing in Boca. Should be fine, they have basically  twice as much empty land just north of the current Roberts Road facilities that they proposed to use for future operations, processing, fabrication, storage, etc. Would mean that starship manufacturing in Florida is still a long ways away, but that seems to be what SpaceX are heading for as is. Also there has been some land clearing a bit further north of Roberts Road, along Schwartz Road, thats not SpaceX is it?

Edit: Added screenshot of recent Sentinel imagery, outlined where SpaceX proposed to expand facilities in purple, red is new development that started a few months back that Im not sure what it is.
That's a NASA solar development.

Offline pyromatter

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 3422
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #354 on: 09/13/2023 06:29 pm »
You are receiving this email because you expressed interest in KSC’s environmental review of SpaceX’s proposals to expand their Roberts Road operational area at KSC.

SpaceX and KSC environmental and project management staff have prepared a Draft Environmental Assessment for the proposed expansion of the SpaceX Roberts Road Operational Area on KSC.  The Draft Environmental Assessment can be accessed at the following link:

NEPA Documents – Environmental (nasa.gov)

KSC will be Accepting comments until October 16, 2023

https://public.ksc.nasa.gov/environmental/nepacomments/

https://netspublic.grc.nasa.gov/main/RR%20North%20Expansion_Draft%20SEA.pdf
https://public.ksc.nasa.gov/environmental/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2023/09/20230906-SpaceX-Roberts-Road-Expansion-EA-NOA.pdf

You are receiving this email because you expressed interest in KSC’s environmental review of SpaceX’s proposals to expand their Roberts Road operational area at KSC.

SpaceX and KSC environmental and project management staff have prepared a Draft Environmental Assessment for the proposed expansion of the SpaceX Roberts Road Operational Area on KSC.  The Draft Environmental Assessment can be accessed at the following link:

NEPA Documents – Environmental (nasa.gov)

KSC will be Accepting comments until October 16, 2023

https://public.ksc.nasa.gov/environmental/nepacomments/

https://netspublic.grc.nasa.gov/main/RR%20North%20Expansion_Draft%20SEA.pdf
https://public.ksc.nasa.gov/environmental/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2023/09/20230906-SpaceX-Roberts-Road-Expansion-EA-NOA.pdf

Huh, so is this new? I grabbed two of the more interesting slides of new proposed construction + a new road to bypass the KSC badging office.

Offline Nevyn72

• Australia
  • Liked: 1038
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #356 on: 09/13/2023 11:49 pm »
Looking at the plan diagram I wonder how close the two building footprints are in size compared to the Starfactory and Megabay at Boca Chica?

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 2741
  • Likes Given: 1840
« Reply #357 on: 10/05/2023 12:02 pm »
Grading plans have been submitted ahead of SpaceX expanding their Roberts Road facilities to the north (as shown in the documents above).

More: https://permitting.sjrwmd.com/ep/#/prmtInfo?curId=&hdr=1&usrId=0&offclId=197430&seqNo=3

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #358 on: 10/05/2023 04:24 pm »

Florida’s Space Coast is always abuzz with launch activity but when you get to fly over it, you realize there’s a lot more than meets the eye. In our latest Cape Flyover we were able to spot new rocket hardware arriving, new structures rising from the ground, intriguing movements from Blue Origin, and a whole lot more. We’ll also take a look at what’s gonna be up next with Starship activity at the Cape - you may be surprised.

Offline pyromatter

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 3422
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #359 on: 01/22/2024 02:21 pm »
https://talkoftitusville.com/2024/01/22/nasa-no-activities-underway-to-build-lc-49/

They replied to us on January 18, 2024 and said that “[NASA] currently [does] not have any activities underway at LC-49.”

NASA added that, “all previous activities there have been suspended, including anything involving any commercial companies. We’re not currently working any NEPA or environmental actions. KSC did complete an environmental assessment in 2018-19 for the development and operations of the site, which included the construction of the existing launch pad.”

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography