Author Topic: Pangea Aerospace  (Read 7230 times)

Offline Tywin

« Last Edit: 11/24/2021 03:55 pm by zubenelgenubi »
The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
Re: Pangea Aerospace...
« Reply #1 on: 11/21/2021 03:08 pm »
SpaceNews also ran an article on their recent tests.
Quote from: Adrià Argemí
One thing we are sure now is that, with aerospike propulsion, the bigger you make it, the better it gets.  For this small one, it was pretty tricky and complex scaling down to cool the surfaces.
Includes a focus on reusability.
Quote from: Xavier Llairó
Aerospikes are very interesting because they have a regenerative cooling system.  When you have tail-first reentry, there are a lot of benefits in terms of the shape of the aerospike that’s helping you dissipate the heat loads and have a smoother reentry.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline SciNews

• Romania
  • Liked: 737
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #2 on: 11/22/2021 08:46 am »
DLR - Aerospike engine from Pangea Aerospace trialled on DLR test stand
https://www.dlr.de/content/en/articles/news/2021/04/20211119_pangea-trialled-on-dlr-test-stand-lampoldshausen.html
DLR has tested a MethaLox aerospike engine for the first time, on behalf of the start-up Pangea Aerospace.
The DLR and Pangea Aerospace teams successfully conducted several hot-run tests using the European Research and Technology Test Stand P8.
Aerospike technology promises significantly higher efficiency compared to conventional propulsion systems.
Pangea Aerospace aerospike engine hot run

Previously posted on https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=38583.msg2312589#msg2312589

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #3 on: 11/24/2021 03:03 am »
The scaling down issue is intriguing. I wonder if that's gotten easier compared to the past?
« Last Edit: 11/24/2021 03:04 am by Asteroza »

« Reply #4 on: 11/24/2021 05:50 am »
Does anybody have more information on their rocket, the Meso? There's a rendering and some info on newspace.im but I don't know where it comes from and there is nothing about E.G. height or fairing dimensions

Offline eeergo

« Reply #5 on: 11/24/2021 08:57 am »
Does anybody have more information on their rocket, the Meso? There's a rendering and some info on newspace.im but I don't know where it comes from and there is nothing about E.G. height or fairing dimensions

They were distributing this at the IAC, but disclaimed they were more focused on the small thruster program at this time, along with the aerospike development.
-DaviD-

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1063
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #6 on: 11/24/2021 09:57 pm »
The scaling down issue is intriguing. I wonder if that's gotten easier compared to the past?

They did mention 3D printing, so that make integrated cooling channels in the spike easier to make.

Their focus on circular aerospikes does mean Mesos probably needs roll verniers for roll control.

Is the aerospike an annular torus style aerospike, or a segmented array circular type though?

Offline SciNews

• Romania
  • Liked: 737
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Pangea Aerospace
« Reply #7 on: 11/25/2021 05:19 am »
10 September 2021 - DLR agrees co­op­er­a­tion with Span­ish start-up Pangea Aerospace
https://www.dlr.de/content/en/articles/news/2021/03/20210910_start-up-engine-design-pangea.html
"It is great to be working with DLR and to be able to fire the first copper additively manufactured aerospike engine in the world"
"Actually Pangea Aerospace has the exclusive capabilities in Europe for a new material called GRCop42, a powder copper alloy optimised by NASA for additive manufacturing of rocket engine combustion chambers."
Aerospike en­gine de­sign draw­ing Credit: Pangea Aerospace

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #8 on: 05/12/2022 08:41 pm »
European Spaceflight: Podcast Pangea Aerospace

Pangea Aerospace is from Spain.
DemoP1 20kN LOx-LCH4 Aerospike (? dual expander cycle) tested 9x 5min.
Arcos  300kN LOx-LCH4 Aerospike (? dual expander cycle) certified (TRL8) by 2024/'25
...? MN class Aerospace engine, early studies with CNES (France space agency)
Their first rocket Meso uses the Arcos on its first stage and a standard engine on the upper-stage. It should be capable to launch 400kg to LEO.
Unix in orbit propulsion.

https://twitter.com/PangeaAerospace/status/1524779521286844416?cxt=HHwWgMC98au5jakqAAAA

It's in Spanish but the slides are understandable.
PLD space   1:19:00 - 1:51:00
Pangea Aerospace   1:52:00 - 2:19:50

I have more confidence in Pangea Aerospace than in PLD Space.
Though that stage recovery thing (RRTB) wasn't a good idea, in my opinion. It looks like they removed it from the Meso rocket.
A MN stage could be a possible supplement for P120C(+) if launch demand becomes to high?
« Last Edit: 05/12/2022 09:49 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Tywin

The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80131
  • Likes Given: 36295
« Reply #10 on: 10/17/2022 05:37 pm »
https://twitter.com/andrewparsonson/status/1582060502636953601

.@PangeaAerospace has completed a successful hot fire test campaign of its aerospike engine. The longest run was more than two minutes. Here's the full video - youtube.com/watch?v=chDMW2…

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 2121
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #11 on: 03/28/2023 06:13 pm »
It seems like Pangea is deprioritizing launch services: at some point between December 22nd, 2022 and today, they removed mention of their Meso rocket from their main website.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4646
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #12 on: 03/28/2023 06:41 pm »
It seems like Pangea is deprioritizing launch services: at some point between December 22nd, 2022 and today, they removed mention of their Meso rocket from their main website.
Last i heard is that they were restructuring a bit and they are not permanently stepping out of the launch services industry there Meso rocket is not officially cancelled just indefinitely shelved to the back-burner while they realign focus on other related parallel industries i.e. Generation Orbit, et al. They also pursuing a path into the spacecraft manufacturing industry i.e. Rocket Lab, and additional aerospace manufacturing on-ramp opportunities i.e. Usra Major Technologies.
« Last Edit: 03/28/2023 07:28 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
« Reply #13 on: 04/19/2023 10:19 pm »
According to this article, the company "has pivoted to focus on supplying propulsion systems both for rockets and for in-space applications." The article title is even more stark, saying "Pangea Ditch Rocket Development and Sign on to Provide Engines for US Launch Startup." While their plans for Meso may merely be "indefinitely shelved," I don't see a substantive difference between that and cancellation, considering that the market for small launchers is shrinking, not growing (e.g., if you don't begin serious efforts until like five years from now, you're even less likely to succeed).

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 864
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #14 on: 04/20/2023 03:39 am »
According to this article, the company "has pivoted to focus on supplying propulsion systems both for rockets and for in-space applications." The article title is even more stark, saying "Pangea Ditch Rocket Development and Sign on to Provide Engines for US Launch Startup." While their plans for Meso may merely be "indefinitely shelved," I don't see a substantive difference between that and cancellation, considering that the market for small launchers is shrinking, not growing (e.g., if you don't begin serious efforts until like five years from now, you're even less likely to succeed).

I'd call that being smart: making a buck supplying something special (like an aerospike) to some other bunny (or cluster of bunnies) rather than trying to compete with them - until they go bust and you can gather up all their IP and run with it, or not, as you choose.

The easiest path in any business (especially aerospace) is to build upon the ashes of others who've gone before.
« Last Edit: 04/20/2023 03:39 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
« Reply #15 on: 04/20/2023 03:51 am »

I'd call that being smart: making a buck supplying something special (like an aerospike) to some other bunny (or cluster of bunnies) rather than trying to compete with them - until they go bust and you can gather up all their IP and run with it, or not, as you choose.

The easiest path in any business (especially aerospace) is to build upon the ashes of others who've gone before.
Of course, this assumes that Tehiru will survive long enough to actually complete their purchase of these ARCOS engines. Would be a shame if Pangea builds them and then doesn't have a customer. Although I guess "our previous customer fell through, but we literally have the product on a shelf ready to ship out" might help expedite a future sale.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #16 on: 04/25/2023 09:27 am »
https://twitter.com/PangeaAerospace/status/1650788483517087744

Fire!! We have achieved a significant #milestone for our #CubeSat #propulsion system, U-Nyx, by successfully and repeatedly firing our bipropellant thruster. In this test campaign, we are characterizing different combustion chamber configurations, providing key inputs for optimization towards a flight-ready thruster.

We are continuing to work on the next generation of #green in-space #propulsion systems to make it fly soon!

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #17 on: 11/09/2023 07:06 am »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #18 on: 11/09/2023 07:08 am »
https://twitter.com/pangeaaerospace/status/1721849135538536795

Great news!! A new significant milestone for #PangeaAerospace and ARCOS!

We’ve successfully fired and validated our bio-methane and oxygen, bi-material combustion chamber that will power the ARCOS aerospike engine. It worked together with two types of single-piece injector heads designed for rapid reusability, easy inspection, and minimal refurbishment.

We were also able to validate the advanced manufacturing techniques and materials used, which represent breakthrough technologies for the aerospace industry. They enable us to design and create the propulsion systems of the future much faster, with fewer parts, making them reusable, and achieving the best performance-to-cost ratio.

This engine will serve any stage of a launcher providing unmatched performance, enabling reusability and a lower carbon footprint. It’s a pivotal milestone for creating the propulsion platform of the future, where high efficiency, reusability, and sustainability all collide into the same product.

Thanks for your trust and for supporting innovative technologies, @esa , @CDTI_innovacion

Thanks, @DLR_en @DLR_de team for once again hosting our most important milestones.

Special thanks to our strong partner @AeniumE , for helping us push the boundaries of what's possible, again!

Congratulations to our unbeatable team, which knows how to overcome every challenge!

Do not hesitate to contact us if you are interested in ARCOS or any of the technologies showcased. Enjoy these blue diamonds! 💎

Offline Kosmos2001

• CAT
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #19 on: 11/24/2023 02:15 pm »
I understand that they ditched the goal of using a whole launch system on their own due to the fierce competition. Manufacturing rocket engines for third parties may sound a better idea from a business point of view but I don't see how launch companies would like to rely on third parties for a such important element as a rocket engine in their launch business.

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4158
  • Likes Given: 1674
« Reply #20 on: 11/24/2023 03:03 pm »
I understand that they ditched the goal of using a whole launch system on their own due to the fierce competition. Manufacturing rocket engines for third parties may sound a better idea from a business point of view but I don't see how launch companies would like to rely on third parties for a such important element as a rocket engine in their launch business.
That's the way OldSpace has been operating for the last 50 or more years. I'm not sure that is a recommendation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography