Author Topic: Esrange Space Center  (Read 8946 times)

Offline Yggdrasill

• Norway
  • Liked: 640
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Esrange Space Center
« Reply #20 on: 04/25/2023 04:55 pm »
Esrange unintentionally launched a rocket into Norway. Not a good look...

https://sscspace.com/science-rocket-landed-in-norway/

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #21 on: 04/25/2023 07:47 pm »
Most likely the VSB-30 rocket diverted so much from it's predicted flight pad because it couldn't be launched from the Skylark tower, that was normaly used. And because of wind conditions.
I think it was the successor for the S-30/S31, the Red Kite motor, that broke free from the stating firing test stand and the resulting fire damaged the Skylark tower. This tower has a long launch rail, that was dedicated to the 22" of the Skylark, VS(B)-30 and could likely also accommodate the Red Kite suborbital launchers. But the Skylark tower was damaged the to the extend it can't be used for launches.
Serious repair work is needed, apparently.

Thus instead SSC/DLR placed the MAN launcher at the Maxus launch site. An they launch from there.

The MAN launcher has a much shorter launch rail, and isn't protected from the environment. Thus the rocket is traveling slower and has experienced more wind effects when it is leaving the MAN launch rail. Wind will have much more effect on the trajectory of the unguided VSB-30 launcher. Now wind conditions were also unfavorable, resulting in the payload landing outside of the launch range.

I think SSC/DLR have a serious problem, they have to impement serious wind constraints on followon launches or two stage suborbital rockets from the MAN launcher. They need to repair the Skylark tower or require a new larger launcher to launch the unguided multi stage rockets.
The skylark tower is inflexible and dated. Possibly it's beter removed and rebuild it elsewhere as exhibit elsewhere. (I think it's a valuable historic launch infrastucture, but it can't be preserved at the SSC suborbital launch zone. Possibly SSC/DLR can invest in one or several larger mobile launch installations; that they can place at the MAXUS launcher; Demolisched Skylark launch zone and/or LZ-3. At Esrange HyEnD and at Andoya Nammo showed that hybrid rockets could launch from ordinary launchers (Nammo Nucleus from Athena, and HyEnD Heros and N2ORTH from MRL. 

Offline RickA

• Liked: 29
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #22 on: 04/25/2023 11:42 pm »
According to the BBC the Norwegian Foreign Ministry are upset because they weren't properly informed through the correct channels about the landing and subsequent recovery and they describe both as 'unauthorised'.

Accidents due to failures happen. But flying into someone else's country, picking something up, and then flying it back into yours without getting the proper permissions is not the way to maintain good relations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-65394912

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1827
  • Likes Given: 8669
« Reply #23 on: 04/26/2023 02:47 am »
I don't know what prearrangements Esrange has with Norway for something like this, but I don't believe there are any customs, immigration or other formalities between the two countries at the moment.

We don't know if the Swedes didn't call anyone, called someone, but it wasn't the right person, or did everything right, but it didn't get through channels at the Foreign Ministry.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline Yggdrasill

• Norway
  • Liked: 640
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #24 on: 04/26/2023 05:06 am »
This was an accident on Norwegian soil, so our equivalent of the FAA would have to be immediately brought in. That didn't happen, and they should have realized that this was not OK.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3951
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #25 on: 04/26/2023 08:07 am »
The Norwegian foreign ministry has expressed irritation with Sweden for not immediately informing it of a research rocket that crashed in Norway, in a rare spat between the two neighbours.
The rocket, which was launched early Monday from the Esrange Space Centre in Kiruna, northern Sweden, plunged into a mountainside in the Målselv municipality in Norway’s far north, about 10km (six miles) from the closest inhabited area.
No one was injured and no material damage was reported.
“The crash of a rocket like this is a very serious incident that can cause serious damage,” the foreign ministry in Oslo said.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/25/norway-irked-over-swedens-silence-on-rocket-that-crashed-on-its-shores

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 604
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #26 on: 04/26/2023 05:17 pm »
The 40 km error in landing area didn't sound very serioust to me. Until I looked closer at the size of the range.
I'll share an image so you can form your own opinion. It's from the paper:
Performance analysis of an IMU-augmented GNSS tracking system on board the MAIUS-1 sounding rocket

Edit: SSC safety announcement 219 link: pdf
Four rocket launches are planned at Esrange. All rockets are predicted to impact in Zone B.
« Last Edit: 04/29/2023 09:27 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline MiqBos

• Catalonia
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #27 on: 12/06/2023 02:50 pm »
The Skylark tower in ESRANGE is operational again. It was used to launch a VSB-30 suborbital rocket for the MAIUS-2 mission on the 2nd of December.

The launch of MAIUS-2 also was the first from the newly renovated Skylark launcher, since the launcher was damaged in the unfortunate fire back in 2021.

“One could say this is the return of a legend – the Skylark Tower is indeed one of the most iconic parts of the Esrange skyline. I am pleased that the first launch from it was a successful one, and I am looking forward to many more in 2024,” says Lennart Poromaa, President Science Services and Head of Esrange Space Center.

Source: https://sscspace.com/universes-coldest-particles-from-esrange-rocket-maius/

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography