Author Topic: Starbase, Texas  (Read 292613 times)

Offline Okie_Steve

• Oklahoma, USA
  • Liked: 1136
  • Likes Given: 724
Re: Starbase, Texas
« Reply #40 on: 03/06/2021 04:34 pm »
1 Dont' feed the trolls  ;)
2 Boy, is seen as pejorative in American English in this context

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #41 on: 03/06/2021 07:16 pm »
My dream is to open a gas station and convenience store in or near Boca Chica.

I don't believe a gas station has a big future in SX- Elon-Tesla-town  :-\

I don't think the ICE is going completely away any time soon, especially in rural areas. But Elon may build his city quickly as he does other things.
Seems late for this discussion, too. :)

Offline danneely

• Johnstown, PA, USA
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #42 on: 03/07/2021 04:15 pm »
https://www.tmz.com/2021/03/05/elon-musk-starbase-city-backed-cameron-county-commissioner-jobs-tourism-space-x/

Just a blurb from TMZ but it seems the county government is on board. Between the massive infrastructure Spacex wants to improve, high tech high paying jobs being brought to the area, and tourism it really seems like a no brainer. I had no idea that there were 1800 residents working for Spacex in the county, I would've guessed far fewer.  Between their families and the local business that will pop up to support them... maybe getting to 10K isn't so unrealistic. Wonder if the local UT campus can take advantage of the situation as well.

As a car/parking lot counter 1800's pretty close to what I've estimated.  There've been at least 400ish cars on the two main build site lots since they went in last year, 50+ at the launch site,  and a few dozen each at the gas well site, and restaurant/container complex north of the village; and SpaceX is working 24/7 so you can multiply those numbers by 4.  If anything it's a bit less, i'd've guessed closer to 2000; but some of the total are probably working for 3rd party contractors, and some fraction of the roles (eg the flight controllers in Stargate, landscaping) probably aren't 24/7.

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
« Reply #43 on: 03/07/2021 04:22 pm »
I mentioned elsewhere.  Parking lots should be covered with solar panels.  The shade would come in handy with keeping the cars cool during hot summer months while guys are working.  As well as the roofs of all homes, and the roofs of all buildings (except for helicopter pads or antennas.  This should provide a lot of power for air conditioning in the hot Texas summer months during the day.  Excess power can make methane, either for rocket fuel or to power generators for night use. 

Windmills could be placed around where possible, especially offshore.  This would provide structure for fish and if the windmills can turn slow enough or have vertical spinning windmills to keep from killing to many seagulls.   

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1305
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #44 on: 03/07/2021 06:34 pm »
Given his past experience with problems that forced Musk to quit California, is Musk now floating this new city idea with an eye to warding off political/bureaucratic interference with his space launch operations in Texas?

Are there specific political goals here, in connection with the creation of this new town called Starbase?

[zubenelgenubi: deleted]
« Last Edit: 03/07/2021 09:21 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 1950
  • Likes Given: 1912
« Reply #45 on: 03/07/2021 06:43 pm »
Is this a good thread to discuss American politics?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #46 on: 03/07/2021 06:53 pm »

Except as it applies to the management of Starbase, Texas as a municipality under the legal system of the State of Texas, not really.

Offline sanman

« Reply #47 on: 03/07/2021 07:14 pm »

I'm simply speculating on why he's doing this. Otherwise, what's the purpose of trying to create your own city around your space launch facilities? How does this facilitate space launch operations?
Does anybody have any perspective to add on this?

Offline RotoSequence

• Liked: 2068
  • Likes Given: 1535
« Reply #48 on: 03/07/2021 07:24 pm »

I'm simply speculating on why he's doing this. Otherwise, what's the purpose of trying to create your own city around your space launch facilities? How does this facilitate space launch operations?

The principal function of municipalities is to manage and supply relevant services and zoning ordinances. They will be permitted to operate their own police and fire department, removing their dependence on the county's sheriffs and fire department. It will also give them their own electrical power systems and sewers, and other things of that nature associated with towns and cities. The biggest and most important one, however, is that you cannot annex another town's land in Texas; Starbase will not be open to annexation and the laws and ordinances of other towns.

Offline sanman

« Reply #49 on: 03/07/2021 09:45 pm »
And yet this site was selected years ago, knowing what it already was. So was it always the plan to eventually proceed in this direction, and have it turned into a city of its own? Or does this move correlate with anything else, like abandonment of Cape Canaveral as a launch site? Is it a sign that SpaceX is piling its eggs mostly into this one main basket, to roll out Starship as a launch vehicle? Is this place where everything will be built, test, and launched from?

Online DigitalMan

• Liked: 1170
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #50 on: 03/07/2021 09:49 pm »
Perhaps you didn't notice, but Cape Canaveral is already a functioning spaceport. Boca Chica has some hurdles in front of it.

Offline groundbound

• Liked: 405
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #51 on: 03/08/2021 12:42 am »

Musk is now famous for periodically spinning off companies in unexpected business segments.

Maybe this is part of his secret plan for a company that sells titanium siding and ALON windows.  ;)

Offline freddo411

• Liked: 1192
  • Likes Given: 3411
« Reply #52 on: 03/08/2021 01:36 am »

The principal function of municipalities is to manage and supply relevant services and zoning ordinances. They will be permitted to operate their own police and fire department, removing their dependence on the county's sheriffs and fire department. It will also give them their own electrical power systems and sewers, and other things of that nature associated with towns and cities. The biggest and most important one, however, is that you cannot annex another town's land in Texas; Starbase will not be open to annexation and the laws and ordinances of other towns.

SpaceX's operations in BC are 95% of everything.    It's only a reasonable move for them to setup a town to govern and manage the public space and utilities around their operations.

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9097
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #53 on: 03/08/2021 01:49 am »
I'm guessing more independence and more control is the main reason he's doing this, there're some explanation on reddit with regard to what he can get by doing this but I'm not sure how accurate they're.

However a nice side benefit of doing this is the practice they get by running a city on Earth, a very useful experience if they wanted to run a city on Mars.

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #54 on: 03/08/2021 11:35 am »
I'm simply speculating on why he's doing this.

I'm with you. Too often, this site gets bogged down with details surrounding the "what" and the "how".

For me, it's the "why" that's most important. In my mind, the "why" drives everything else.

Offline steveleach

• Liked: 2736
  • Likes Given: 952
« Reply #55 on: 03/08/2021 12:55 pm »

I'm with you. Too often, this site gets bogged down with details surrounding the "what" and the "how".

For me, it's the "why" that's most important. In my mind, the "why" drives everything else.
Maybe its just the easiest way to get full control over closing the area off for tests & launches. Presumably they need to ask the county to do this for them, and the county (quite rightly) have a lot of other responsibilities as well.

Offline r8ix

• Liked: 283
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #56 on: 03/08/2021 01:09 pm »

Maybe its just the easiest way to get full control over closing the area off for tests & launches. Presumably they need to ask the county to do this for them, and the county (quite rightly) have a lot of other responsibilities as well.

Pretty sure, based on what I've heard elsewhere on these forums, plus legal info posted above, that the actual beaches would still be state/county jurisdiction, and that certain agreements SpaceX made about closures would not be changed by incorporation of StarBase, TX.

Offline steveleach

• Liked: 2736
  • Likes Given: 952
« Reply #57 on: 03/08/2021 01:20 pm »

Pretty sure, based on what I've heard elsewhere on these forums, plus legal info posted above, that the actual beaches would still be state/county jurisdiction, and that certain agreements SpaceX made about closures would not be changed by incorporation of StarBase, TX.
But if Space and county and state all agreed to include the beach and other areas in the city, and to delegate the existing restrictions & responsibilities for those areas to SpaceX, would it...

a) be legal?
b) be easier for everyone?

Offline r8ix

« Reply #58 on: 03/08/2021 01:22 pm »

But if Space and county and state all agreed to include the beach and other areas in the city, and to delegate the existing restrictions & responsibilities for those areas to SpaceX, would it...

a) be legal?
b) be easier for everyone?

Not a lawyer, but my understand from previous discussions, is beach access is regulated by Texas State law (constitution?) so merely including the beach in the city would not change access requirements.

Offline r8ix

« Reply #59 on: 03/08/2021 01:24 pm »

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography