Author Topic: BC Starship OLM/OLP/OLS components  (Read 5865 times)

Offline antkent

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
BC Starship OLM/OLP/OLS components
« on: 02/23/2021 04:57 pm »
Wondering how the Orbital Launch Site will come together. Assuming the following mount stack:

- Booster sits on, or hangs above
- Large (and heavy) steel mount table with opening, currently being assembled is bolted to
- 6 leg heavy duty blast spider (at assembly site), which the top beveled cradle sits in top of, and bottom support is bolted to
- Large support piers making current OLP site

Would you add a replaceable cap or ring lowered through the table opening to the top of the blast spider?

If so, would it be concrete?

If not, how would you not just melt the center of the spider?

How far away would you mount the 450' tower/crane/catcher?

How deep do the pilings need to be for such a tower (current ones look to be 100' long)?

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2429
  • Likes Given: 10302
Re: BC Starship OLM/OLP/OLS components
« Reply #1 on: 02/23/2021 06:40 pm »
What is BC?
What is OLM?
What is OLP?
What is OLS?

Offline RocketLover0119

• Space Geek
  • Tampa, Florida
  • Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 1609
« Reply #2 on: 02/23/2021 06:47 pm »
What is BC?
What is OLM?
What is OLP?
What is OLS?

BC= Boca Chica
OLM= Orbital Launch Mount
OLP= Orbital Launch Platform
OLS= Orbital Launch Site
"The Starship has landed"

Offline V96

• Norway
  • Liked: 401
  • Likes Given: 283
« Reply #3 on: 02/23/2021 06:56 pm »
What is BC?
What is OLM?
What is OLP?
What is OLS?

BC= Boca Chica
OLM= Orbital Launch Mount
OLP= Orbital Launch Platform
OLS= Orbital Launch Site

Orbital Launch Pad, not platform.

Offline antkent

« Reply #4 on: 02/23/2021 10:14 pm »
I thought that at first, however, please consider:

- The thrust puck is manufactured offsite, and could be tested offsite?

- The spider has six legs, just like the mount piers

- The base of the spider has ends apparently angled to fit against the inside of the mount piers

- The table can't sit on the mount piers without some horizontal surface like the top of the spider

- The top edge of the spider looks like they would nest into something, possibly a top for each mount pier

- The center would function as a flame diverter

If not for the mount piers, I can't think of something else better suited to fit the above needs

Online woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18211
  • Likes Given: 12193
« Reply #5 on: 02/24/2021 09:17 am »
What is BC?
What is OLM?
What is OLP?
What is OLS?

Very good question. The Opening Post forum member has apparently forgotten that Elon Musk really does NOT like acronyms.

In 2010 he sent the following email to SpaceX employees:
Quote from: Elon Musk
Acronyms Seriously Suck

There is a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms at SpaceX. Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication… No one can actually remember all these acronyms and people don’t want to seem dumb in a meeting, so they just sit there in ignorance. This is particularly tough on new employees.

That needs to stop immediately or I will take drastic action – I have given enough warning over the years… If there is an existing acronym that cannot reasonably be justified, it should be eliminated, as I have requested in the past.

Therefore, the use of made-up acronyms for things like Boca Chica, Orbital Launch Platform, etc. should be discouraged. SpaceX does not use those acronyms. Neither should we In My Opinion.
« Last Edit: 02/24/2021 09:20 am by woods170 »

Offline MySDCUserID

• Veteran
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #6 on: 02/24/2021 08:30 pm »
What is BC?
What is OLM?
What is OLP?
What is OLS?

Very good question. The Opening Post forum member has apparently forgotten that Elon Musk really does NOT like acronyms.

In 2010 he sent the following email to SpaceX employees:
Quote from: Elon Musk
Acronyms Seriously Suck

There is a creeping tendency to use made up acronyms at SpaceX. Excessive use of made up acronyms is a significant impediment to communication… No one can actually remember all these acronyms and people don’t want to seem dumb in a meeting, so they just sit there in ignorance. This is particularly tough on new employees.

That needs to stop immediately or I will take drastic action – I have given enough warning over the years… If there is an existing acronym that cannot reasonably be justified, it should be eliminated, as I have requested in the past.

Therefore, the use of made-up acronyms for things like Boca Chica, Orbital Launch Platform, etc. should be discouraged. SpaceX does not use those acronyms. Neither should we In My Opinion.

It's not even an acronym if you can't say it as a word.  "NASA" is an acronym.  "SRB" is an initialism. 

Offline Hog

• Woodstock
  • Liked: 1700
  • Likes Given: 6866
« Reply #7 on: 02/25/2021 09:52 pm »
Sorry Elon but I refuse to type out "Space Explorations Technologies Incorporated".
Paul

Offline Nevyn72

• Australia
  • Liked: 1038
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #8 on: 02/25/2021 11:54 pm »
Sorry Elon but I refuse to type out "Space Explorations Technologies Incorporated".

That's ok, SpaceX is an abbreviation, not an acronym.  ;)

Offline Burningdan87

• Liked: 98
  • Likes Given: 267
« Reply #9 on: 02/26/2021 11:22 am »
[quote author=woods170

[/quote]

Why? That just seems...silly. This is an internet forum, not SpaceX. It's not even a SpaceX fan site, though you'd think otherwise sometimes. There are no reasons people here should adjust their behavior to match SpaceX company culture.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25265
  • Likes Given: 12121
« Reply #10 on: 02/26/2021 12:13 pm »
Quote from: woods170

Why? That just seems...silly. This is an internet forum, not SpaceX. It's not even a SpaceX fan site, though you'd think otherwise sometimes. There are no reasons people here should adjust their behavior to match SpaceX company culture.
If it makes you feel better, it has nothing to do with matching SpaceX. It’s dumb to make up unnecessary acronyms as it reduces clarity. Don’t get huffy about it.
« Last Edit: 02/26/2021 12:18 pm by Robotbeat »
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline RJU65

• UK
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #11 on: 02/26/2021 02:35 pm »
Quote from: woods170

If it makes you feel better, it has nothing to do with matching SpaceX. It’s dumb to make up unnecessary acronyms as it reduces clarity. Don’t get huffy about it.

Well half the Three letter abbreviations (TLA) on this site, I have to think about to figure out. If you must use a TLA then please write it in full the first time with it's abbreviation. I don't have a space industry background.

Thanks
Ray

Offline Kerbal42

• North Carolina, USA
« Reply #12 on: 03/10/2021 05:00 pm »
Well, I just want to say that I found this thread by googling "SpaceX OLP OLM" to try to figure out what the LabPadre Nerdle Cam feed was talking about. So thank you for answering my question  ;D

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography