Author Topic: Deimos and Phobos - offshore Starship launch platforms  (Read 398677 times)

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14000
  • Likes Given: 1391
Re: Deimos and Phobos - offshore Starship launch platforms
« Reply #900 on: 02/14/2023 05:40 pm »
Looks like the refurbished drawworks from Deimos was spotted at Roberts Road during a September 2022 flyover.

https://twitter.com/CSI_Starbase/status/1572605970014171137
So the rigs were bought since it was the cheapest way to get the winches to shore?!
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1519
  • Likes Given: 1707
« Reply #901 on: 02/14/2023 09:06 pm »
So the rigs were bought since it was the cheapest way to get the winches to shore?!

You're joking, of course, but I'll remind everyone that SpaceX did get these rigs at fire sale prices, literally pennies on the dollar.  The oil market collapsed in early 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic, and oil prices went to approximately zero, or even negative (couldn't give it away).  Big Oil slammed the brakes on exploration and extraction, oil rig operators got desperate, and Elon took advantage.

I wonder if they made money on them ...
« Last Edit: 02/14/2023 09:07 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline RoboGoofers

• NJ
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 962
« Reply #902 on: 02/15/2023 01:55 pm »
Were they going to do the engineering for the platforms in house, or outsource it? I assume that there's only so many firms that have the experience to make the plans to modify the rigs, and even fewer that can make plans to launch the largest rocket in the world from one. In my industry there are projects that come along that nobody wants to touch.

Offline AmigaClone

You're joking, of course, but I'll remind everyone that SpaceX did get these rigs at fire sale prices, literally pennies on the dollar.  The oil market collapsed in early 2020 at the beginning of the pandemic, and oil prices went to approximately zero, or even negative (couldn't give it away).  Big Oil slammed the brakes on exploration and extraction, oil rig operators got desperate, and Elon took advantage.

I wonder if they made money on them ...

As part of the refit, the upper portion of at least one if not both semi-submersible platforms was removed. Outside of the winches, I suspect much of the equipment that was removed might was sold - either for spare parts or as scrap metal.

Taking into account those early sales, the costs related to the aborted refurbishment, as well as the sale of the platforms themselves, I suspect SpaceX might have paid less than market value for the winches taking into account their condition when the two platforms were purchased by SpaceX.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80298
  • Likes Given: 36334
« Reply #904 on: 02/28/2023 06:00 pm »
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1630643981536116736

The former SpaceX-owned Deimos rig appears to have finally got underway from Pascagoula, under its new ownership.

The towing vessel has a reported destination of Nassau, Bahamas.

Offline Larry Golo

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 145
« Reply #905 on: 05/07/2023 08:28 am »
This may be of interest

"Opinions are like a$$holes. Everybody has one." Dirty Harry Callahan.

Offline joek

• Liked: 2775
  • Likes Given: 1092
« Reply #906 on: 05/07/2023 08:44 am »
Short version: Gwynne Shotwell... "I think we'll have a lot of sea-based platforms... we'll have to see how this ship goes..."

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8104
  • Likes Given: 7411
« Reply #907 on: 08/06/2023 02:34 am »
I have a theory about why SpaceX may not be interested in a sea-based launching platform for their SuperBooster and StarShip.

During the booster's first launch, it caused significant damage to the launch pad due to its intense power. Is it feasible that the water underneath a floating oil derrick launch pad could be disturbed to the point where the platform loses its buoyancy and sinks?

It's worth noting that Sea-Launch utilized a flame diverter to address this issue, but the thrust of that rocket is not comparable to SpaceX's.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline lykos

• Greece
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #908 on: 08/06/2023 08:56 am »
SX sold Phobos/Deimos long before the first Starship-flight.
Besides that, the whole idea of pointtopoint Starship-flights is heavily based on sea-launch.

Offline Nomadd

• Seoul
  • Liked: 60395
  • Likes Given: 1295
« Reply #909 on: 08/06/2023 09:21 am »
 Elon actually said in 2019 that they were only planning sea launch for p-p.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline lykos

• Greece
  • Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #910 on: 08/06/2023 03:59 pm »
Maybe because p-p sea launches are without the booster?
Other 6 engines and other 33 engines fired!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography